Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 always detects wrong phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 2 iphone 10 set up as keys. Let's call them A and B. Even if iPhone B gets in the car and iPhone A is nowhere near, the car detects iPhone A, it's seat settings, etc. I have to manually tap the name and change it. Anyone else seen this issue? Newbee here and haven't seen other threads on this.

I think you are assuming functionality that doesn't exist.

AFAIK (unless it's been a recent addition), the car doesn't automatically switch profiles based on what phone key it detects (thankfully because my wife is usually the first to get into the car with her phone, even though I am the driver).

So in your case, when iPhone B gets into the car, the reason it's set to driver A is not because it detected the wrong phone, but simply because driver A was the last person to drive the car.

AFAIK (unless it's been a recent addition), the car doesn't automatically switch profiles based on what phone key it detects (thankfully because my wife is usually the first to get into the car with her phone, even though I am the driver)..

You can absolutely link a driver profile with a specific key- including phone keys.

Page 49 in the current owners manual.

AFAIK (unless it's been a recent addition), the car doesn't automatically switch profiles based on what phone key it detects (thankfully because my wife is usually the first to get into the car with her phone, even though I am the driver).

So in your case, when iPhone B gets into the car, the reason it's set to driver A is not because it detected the wrong phone, but simply because driver A was the last person to drive the car.
In my case, Phone B is almost always the driver, and phone A the passenger, but the car always detects phone A as being the driver, even when it’s not in the car. I’ll have to run some more tests. The mobile Tesla tech is coming today for some missing screws, so I’ll address this with him as well and see. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: tyseft163
In my case, Phone B is almost always the driver, and phone A the passenger, but the car always detects phone A as being the driver, even when it’s not in the car. I’ll have to run some more tests. The mobile Tesla tech is coming today for some missing screws, so I’ll address this with him as well and see. Thanks for the reply!
I'm having this same issue a lot. Any advice from Tesla Mobile Service?