Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 August Delivery Figures published By SMMT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
SMMT figures show the model 3 was the third best selling car in the UK in August at 2082 cars sold ( assume this means delivered). I know this reflects years of pent up demand but still pretty good going.
It also means there are a lot of orders outstanding still given that the order numbers (not withstanding cancellations) are somewhere around 8000 by now.

SMMT figures show the model 3 was the third best selling car in the UK in August at 2082 cars sold ( assume this means delivered). I know this reflects years of pent up demand but still pretty good going.
It also means there are a lot of orders outstanding still given that the order numbers (not withstanding cancellations) are somewhere around 8000 by now.
That’s good. Can’t wait until the September figures come out!

Also note the YTD 20k lower business car registrations compared with last year. Some will be due to delaying until next years BIK levels come into force for BEVs

Car Registrations

My Mrs almost suffered this - it's partially due to the lack of new cars available due to the diesel issue, the choice that her lease company had was really restricted. The only green car on offer was the totally over budget XC90 T8, in my opinion a joke of a green car, a bit like putting a solar Panel on a Saturn 5 to try and claim a tax break. Her 4 year lease was up and she was given the option to keep her existing car another year until the car choice improved. Anyway - she got lucky as all of a sudden the M3 appeared on the available car list, nicely coinciding with the BIK change.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Model 3 deliveries started around 8th. That's 20 days not including Sundays and bank holidays. An average of 100/day

That's actually pretty poor. This number also includes S and X.

Considering Heathrow did 100 on some days by itself. And would go some way to explain why a lot have not been delivered.

If we factor in 5 extra delivery days in September. We can expect 2500 deliveries. And there are over 7000 orders.

1 ship can deliver 3500 and we had what, 3 ships arrive in August?

Does this mean we have some dark matter missing M3s? Feels like the numbers aren’t stacking up o_O

Nah, I just think they are that low. When I was a Heathrow last week the place looked dead, they might have had 10 deliveries that day.

3 factors here.

1. UK delivery capacity is pretty poor, as is evident by non-existent customer support despite only 2k deliveries
2. LHD demand is still there, Norway registering 50-100 every day still.
3. Down under has RHD as well

They probably only shipped as much as they could uncomfortably deliver in the UK. Like appointments for the GP... And the logic probably is "We have 10k orders, we can do 2-3k a month and clear them by Christmas, so we don't get the - UK sales tanked - news articles"

And I even recon there is some of "lets do a few quick order-delivery times so we get a few people saying they got their car really fast"

Model 3 deliveries started around 8th. That's 20 days not including Sundays and bank holidays. An average of 100/day

Considering Heathrow did 100 on some days by itself. And would go some way to explain why a lot have not been delivered.

If we factor in 5 extra delivery days in September. We can expect 2500 deliveries. And there are over 7000 orders.

But wasn't it mainly London that kicked off around the 8th. I thought the other locations started up later than that? Also not sure how realistic it is for these places to hit the ground running at full speed.

I'm fairly confident there's a bottle neck in Belgium slowing stuff down. My car, according to the contact my lease company uses, has been sat in Zeebrugge waiting for a truck to bring it over since before August 28th - it's still there, and won't arrive at Heathrow until September 11th... My delivery is then the 12th.

So that'll be nearly two weeks just...Sitting there. And I'm pretty confident they'll delay delivery again anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000

Where is it stated that they have 7000 orders to fulfil?

I'm fairly confident there's a bottle neck in Belgium slowing stuff down.

I can confirm definitely bottlenecks in Belgium, they're renowned for bottles of beer - alongside chips & mayo, public urination (belgium fountain boy), waffles & lashings of red tape.

Endured more project fear on the radio this morning, apparently there will be queues around the block at filling stations, I am sure this won't be the case; BP will have loads of Polar chargers in time for the surge for M3s ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000