Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 AWD Tyre Life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car failed it's latest WOF, all four tyres have 4mm of tread but the front two need replacing due to excessive inside wear...... Interesting to see this may be a Tesla problem, they are only a year old!
Absolutely a Tesla problem: book a Service for replacing the front suspension linkages.
And being a defect in the car, not billable
Is it a Performance model?

Last edited:
I've done 43,500km on my Feb 2021 Model 3 Long Range. I got a tyre rotation at around about 20,000km from memory, and the Tesla person said they were in very good condition. I live in Wellington where opportunities to accelerate violently are limited anyway, but I'm otherwise not that inclined to do it either.

I went for my first WOF last month and passed with 0 issues raised. The tyre section appears to have 4.5 for each one - I'm guessing this means 4.5mm tread?

I know basically nothing about tyres and have never had to buy any before. I'm looking to sell soon but trying to determine if I should be replacing the tyres first or not. Would it be worth booking another rotation in with Tesla / getting them to comment if they should be replaced or not?

I looked up tread before the WOF and it mentioned using a coin to measure. I tried this with a 20c piece and I thought the result was that I only just had enough tread left.. but the difference between 1.5mm and 4.5mm seems fairly tangible? Hence I have no clue here!

Most tyres have minimum tread depth ribs in each of the grooves, at regular spacing around the tyre..
If the tread has worn down to that level at any point, replace the tyre.
There is no reason to do this, before that point.
Worth rotating them every 20k km as Tesla advises.
At the very least you get to see the entire tread and inside shoulder condition, off the car.

Last edited:
I've done 43,500km on my Feb 2021 Model 3 Long Range. I got a tyre rotation at around about 20,000km from memory, and the Tesla person said they were in very good condition. I live in Wellington where opportunities to accelerate violently are limited anyway, but I'm otherwise not that inclined to do it either.

I went for my first WOF last month and passed with 0 issues raised. The tyre section appears to have 4.5 for each one - I'm guessing this means 4.5mm tread?

I know basically nothing about tyres and have never had to buy any before. I'm looking to sell soon but trying to determine if I should be replacing the tyres first or not. Would it be worth booking another rotation in with Tesla / getting them to comment if they should be replaced or not?

I looked up tread before the WOF and it mentioned using a coin to measure. I tried this with a 20c piece and I thought the result was that I only just had enough tread left.. but the difference between 1.5mm and 4.5mm seems fairly tangible? Hence I have no clue here!
Not many people will give you a $2k better offer on a used car with new tyres compared to 4.5mm tyres. Save your money. Most people don't know that the last 2mm runs out way faster than the first 2mm.