Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 black trim chip/scratch. Sigh...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this little guy showed up after a trip. Definitely a chip in the trim, I initially thought it was something stuck but it dents in there. I'll likely eventually get it replaced/fixed but having just had my car serviced for another issue recently, I'll ride this one out a bit. Any DIY ideas? I thought sharpie at minimum but if someone has experience with something better, please chime in.
PXL_20211015_230251474.jpg

I had some minor fine scratches on my black trim around the windows and a black sharpie just kept being removed during a wash. I tried a little black paint but that too wouldn’t stay put. I then did some research and found a product called aluminium black from a company called birchwood casey. The trim is anodised aluminium so this product reblackens the exposed aluminium. Plenty of YouTube vids of it working on scratched guns for example.

I used a q tip to apply it after cleaning the area with alcohol and then pressure washed it off and the fine scratches are now invisible. You can repeat the process to make it darker if required but I had to only apply it once.

Obviously you have more damage but it may make it less noticeable.

• Informative
Reactions: f308gt4
So this little guy showed up after a trip. Definitely a chip in the trim, I initially thought it was something stuck but it dents in there. I'll likely eventually get it replaced/fixed but having just had my car serviced for another issue recently, I'll ride this one out a bit. Any DIY ideas? I thought sharpie at minimum but if someone has experience with something better, please chime in.
View attachment 722100
I believe this is from the window hitting it. A tow truck driver did the same thing in roughly the same spot on the passenger side of my vehicle after the 12v battery died and the window would no longer automatically roll up/down when the door was open and closed.

Have you or someone else used the manual door release? Was it slammed too fast?

I had some minor fine scratches on my black trim around the windows and a black sharpie just kept being removed during a wash. I tried a little black paint but that too wouldn’t stay put. I then did some research and found a product called aluminium black from a company called birchwood casey. The trim is anodised aluminium so this product reblackens the exposed aluminium. Plenty of YouTube vids of it working on scratched guns for example.

I used a q tip to apply it after cleaning the area with alcohol and then pressure washed it off and the fine scratches are now invisible. You can repeat the process to make it darker if required but I had to only apply it once.

Obviously you have more damage but it may make it less noticeable.
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have the same scratch on my trim due to me stupidly opening the passenger door in the middle of my first ever software update and then closing it (window didn't come down). I actually bought the Aluminum Black sharpie-style pen from Birchwood Casey, and the results are okay, but I'm curious how your repair looks with the q-tip applied solution. Can you post a photo of your repair to see if I want to bother going that route?