Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Break-In South Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0089B8BD-E5A6-4939-9C6D-AABE1DADF18D.jpeg
0089B8BD-E5A6-4939-9C6D-AABE1DADF18D.jpeg I was at Valley Fair on Friday also and saw this car :mad:

I leave my seats down and have a small light mounted underneath for night time parking. No more instances since the first breakin at valley fair 2 years ago. Protective film or covers in the quater panel window will not stop them from breaking your other window. Neither will that drop lock.
These fools will break the larger window if they see something worth taking.

As a California native, I can tell you that this type of crime is on the rise and has been for several years. The reason is simple, Californians voted to allowed it. This has nothing to do with political affiliation, it has everything to do with simple crime and punishment.

The idiots here voted several years ago to effectively decriminalize property crimes and to let most of the offenders out of jail to save money. Its now a quick catch-and-release thing with little to no jail time, and typically only a small fine (basically everything non-violent is now a misdemeanor). So these criminals go out the next day and do it again and again. All the doorbell and dashcam videos are useless because they don't bother prosecuting anymore. Cops don't waste their time, and DA's can't waste their money.

We had Prop 20 on the ballot this November that would've made things tougher on the criminals, but it got voted down by nearly 70%. Everyone I know here is sick and tired of porch-pirates, mailbox thieves, and car burglaries, but yet everyone voted against punishing the people who are responsible. Go figure.

Wow, thanks you for all the feedbacks and tips! I had no idea that it’s so common ugh. This is a design flaw that Tesla needs to address.

It seems like the best preventive method is to keep the car clean& empty with the backseat folded down when parking.

Would my car windows being tinted with 50% increase the likelihood that they will smash the window since it’s harder to see the inside?

As a California native, I can tell you that this type of crime is on the rise and has been for several years. The reason is simple, Californians voted to allowed it. This has nothing to do with political affiliation, it has everything to do with simple crime and punishment.

The idiots here voted several years ago to effectively decriminalize property crimes and to let most of the offenders out of jail to save money...

Despite my current situation I too am a Native Son.
Years ago in Palos Verdes I had two palm trees stolen from my front yard as well as the side mirrors on my new Porsche 911. PV police resisted strenuously taking a police report. Eventually I did get one only after threatening a public complaint.

They were VERY proud of the elite image of the area and wanted to preserve their crime-free image. That was in 1986, long before the legal changes.
My local Porsche dealer stocked mirrors preprinted in popular colors and took 15 minutes and $3000. Stealing them made sense when I found out their ridiculous cost.

Palm trees? No clue officially.

• Funny
Reactions: calidreamz808

The idiots here voted several years ago to effectively decriminalize property crimes and to let most of the offenders out of jail to save money. Its now a quick catch-and-release thing with little to no jail time, and typically only a small fine (basically everything non-violent is now a misdemeanor). So these criminals go out the next day and do it again and again. All the doorbell and dashcam videos are useless because they don't bother prosecuting anymore. Cops don't waste their time, and DA's can't waste their money.

We had Prop 20 on the ballot this November that would've made things tougher on the criminals, but it got voted down by nearly 70%. Everyone I know here is sick and tired of porch-pirates, mailbox thieves, and car burglaries, but yet everyone voted against punishing the people who are responsible. Go figure.
I believe in the first part of your post, you're referring to prop 47. I honestly don't remember how I voted on it but it sure seemed like it had negative consequences. There's little risk of them getting caught and even if caught, the consequences are minimal and it seems to be just a revolving door for thieves.

California Proposition 20, Criminal Sentencing, Parole, and DNA Collection Initiative (2020) - Ballotpedia has some details on prop 20 that didn't pass. I did vote yes on 20 and am super disappointed. I agree on your last sentence. It's crazy and puzzling.

Maybe in the next election, someone will propose something like that and the CA electorate will get a clue? Honestly, not only does there need to be proper punishment but there also needs to be some way to really reduce recidivism (e.g. trying to show these people the error of their ways and putting them to work on something productive), otherwise they're going to come out to do the same thing again and we'll need to build a TON more prisons. And, while they're in jail, they have plenty of time around other bad people, picking up/coming up with more ideas of crimes to commit and methods, ways to avoid getting caught, etc.
Maybe park next to shops/merchants/lights?
At that mall, there really aren't that many parking spaces near merchants or shops. The few that exist are usually taken or are handicapped spaces. Almost all the rest are further away or in/atop multi-level structures.

The parking structures are lit.