Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Break-In South Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, thanks you for all the feedbacks and tips! I had no idea that it’s so common ugh. This is a design flaw that Tesla needs to address.

It seems like the best preventive method is to keep the car clean& empty with the backseat folded down when parking.

Would my car windows being tinted with 50% increase the likelihood that they will smash the window since it’s harder to see the inside?
Seems more like a society flaw.

• Funny
Reactions: Saturday
Liberal California Legislators passes a law some time back that makes stealing under $900 non arrest able and non punishable. Police are told not to intervene in any thefts under $900. Even if they do arrest them it is usually a $5 fine and no-bail release.

Best to leave your doors unlocked and alarms off. Gotta get with the program where you are not allowed to own nice stuff...gotta share with the street people.

Thugs can walk into any store and walk out with under $900 worth of goods. No harm...no foul.

As a California native, I can tell you that this type of crime is on the rise and has been for several years. The reason is simple, Californians voted to allowed it. This has nothing to do with political affiliation, it has everything to do with simple crime and punishment.

The idiots here voted several years ago to effectively decriminalize property crimes and to let most of the offenders out of jail to save money. Its now a quick catch-and-release thing with little to no jail time, and typically only a small fine (basically everything non-violent is now a misdemeanor). So these criminals go out the next day and do it again and again. All the doorbell and dashcam videos are useless because they don't bother prosecuting anymore. Cops don't waste their time, and DA's can't waste their money.

We had Prop 20 on the ballot this November that would've made things tougher on the criminals, but it got voted down by nearly 70%. Everyone I know here is sick and tired of porch-pirates, mailbox thieves, and car burglaries, but yet everyone voted against punishing the people who are responsible. Go figure.
Interesting, why would people vote down, en masse, a law to better protect their private property? Unless, the 70% majority were somehow benefitting.... maybe more people are porch-pirating than we think!

Nothing will stop a motivated thief but since it tends to happen at these shopping centers.. it might behoove those center owners to begin ramping up the physical security presence or actually watch the cameras, especially around the upcoming holiday season. I try to park around cameras but really its the only thing you can do besides use their valet where you're almost guaranteed someone will be nearby. Otherwise, it may start to get a bad reputation and people will stop shopping there.. at least, that's what i would do.. im also not like everyone else LOL

Liberal California Legislators passes a law some time back that makes stealing under $900 non arrest able and non punishable. Police are told not to intervene in any thefts under $900. Even if they do arrest them it is usually a $5 fine and no-bail release.

Best to leave your doors unlocked and alarms off. Gotta get with the program where you are not allowed to own nice stuff...gotta share with the street people.

Thugs can walk into any store and walk out with under $900 worth of goods. No harm...no foul.

That sounds like a pretty bad idea.

I saw the sentry mode video from your rear and left cameras. I wonder if you would have parked rear first into the parking spot, would the front camera have gotten a better view of the getaway car's license plate? Does anyone know if this front camera (under the rear view mirror) is better quality than the rear?

I am wondering, do the cameras work if the car is asleep (parked)? Are cameras activated when/if someone opens a door or otherwise interacts with the car? This would be good if they do, so as to record a possible intruder.

Wow, thanks you for all the feedbacks and tips! I had no idea that it’s so common ugh. This is a design flaw that Tesla needs to address.

It seems like the best preventive method is to keep the car clean& empty with the backseat folded down when parking.

Would my car windows being tinted with 50% increase the likelihood that they will smash the window since it’s harder to see the inside?

Design flaw? Tesla needs to address? W T F

Someone breaking your windows is not a "design flaw".

While I personally wouldn't refer to breaking windows as a design flaw, there is some validity to the statement because it's possible to fold down the back seats from inside the car (and outside when the quarter windows are broken). My previous BMW 323i had the seat release latches inside the trunk. That's inherently more secure. I'm sure that the incidents of a-holes busting out the windows would be much less if the seat latches were not so readily available. Or maybe I'm wrong and the would-be-thieves would be targeting the trunk instead.

Reactions: cwerdna
Probably a rental car with stolen plates. Gangs do this as their "day job" over and over.

Info on small rear corner window break-ins

The "sagging bippers" strike again...

Yeah, when I lived in NYC, we'd make our expensive road bikes as ugly-looking as possible, with tape and spray paint all over, just so it wouldn't be targeted by thieves. Obviously, you can't do that with a Tesla, but I don't know how one survives with a Tesla in the Bay Area without it getting targeted by these "bippers". Maybe the Cybertruck will stop them.

Newest victim of rear quarter window break-in. Where can I get a replacement for a reasonable price? Thank you.
Ah crap, sorry to hear that. I had hoped with Sentry Mode being successful in recording video of the perp, and many times leading to an arrest, that the breakins had stopped or died down at least with Teslas. Was Sentry active?

We had our MS broken into back in 2017, small window, and had ours fixed at Tesla Sunnyvale. I know prices have come down from back then so no idea cost today. We paid for ours out of pocket but I know others file an insurance claim. Where did this happen (always good to have an idea)?

While I personally wouldn't refer to breaking windows as a design flaw, there is some validity to the statement because it's possible to fold down the back seats from inside the car (and outside when the quarter windows are broken). My previous BMW 323i had the seat release latches inside the trunk. That's inherently more secure. I'm sure that the incidents of a-holes busting out the windows would be much less if the seat latches were not so readily available. Or maybe I'm wrong and the would-be-thieves would be targeting the trunk instead.
Yep. Many sedans either will NOT let you release/lower the seat backs without doing it from inside the trunk (levers in the trunk) or they have a locking mechanism to prevent it.

Examples w/'12 Nissan Altima and my own former 02 Maxima below:
If the Model S and 3 adopted one of the two approaches, I suspect the # of smash the rear corner window to flip down the seats to look for something to steal cases would go way down/would've been much lower.

Last edited: