Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cockpit vs Mercedes E400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the scroll wheels on the model 3 not do both of these things?
Only the volume AFAIK. The scroll wheels are also a bit fiddly to use (e.g. I found it difficult to push it in without also scrolling).

Generally, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with touchscreen controls, although some physical controls are clearly still necessary. But I don't think the Model 3's implementation is particularly good. The main issue is that the single screen provides too little screen real estate for a car that almost solely relies on it, particularly in the driver's direct field of view; as a result, the UI requires a lot of swiping, the on-screen controls are often too small to safely use while driving, and there is no good place to put things like navigation instructions. I think Tesla hit a better balance in the Model S/X, and so did some other manufacturers (e.g. Jaguar has a very nice-looking touch interface in the i-Pace). But as someone mentioned, the Model 3's "Ipad" is obviously a cost cutting measure.

You can just spend some money on options and get this...

2018_mercedes-benz_e-class_coupe_337_1920x1080.jpg

Also the latest interface tech is in the A-Class.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME
I drove Mercedes B class electric (Tesla cousin) for the last three years, while waiting for M3. Made switch about four weeks ago. I do not miss buttons and I had quite a few. See photo.
I only miss one thing, navigation. Tesla navigation sucks. Maps load very slowly, I missed quite a few turns, in both two of my MS (not yet in M3 but I am going still slow, you know breaking her in....).
2014-mercedes-benz-b-class.jpg

One of the benefits of the Model 3 minimalism is less night blindness and eye fatigue due to center glare.

One of the worst design decisions ever was the center console in the S. That yacht floor was a thing of beauty. Especially in obeche matte. I used an aftermarket cupholder extender and a couple of metal mesh trays that fit perfectly in the yacht floor space for longer trips.

I suspect I'll be fine down the road with the Model 3 center screen when it no longer makes sense to own an S. But then again, one would think HUD would take center stage at some point.

A yacht floor option for the current S or as part of this fabled interior refresh would be VERY HELPFUL.

Along with coat hooks although the EVAnnex ones have worked fine for years -they hold a lot more than expected.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Makes me laugh when people say that the "huge" touch screen in the Model 3 must be soooo distracting. Look at all those buttons and knobs scattered hither and yon with tiny little lettering in the Merc.... way more distracting. The Model 3 screen coupled with the steering wheel scroll wheels are so simple and intuitive for me.

Reactions: Zythryn
Or voice command? Can you just say Tesla, set the temperature to 65 degrees.
Agree. Although in this case you would have to state passenger or driver.
So many of the UI complaints especially from publications harp on the distraction caused by having to use the display for basic settings.
Tesla addressed the EAP complaint where you can now change speed and distance using the right scroll wheel. A big help but there are only two scroll wheels.
It seems like expanding voice commands is the logical next step and has the potential to significantly reduce complaints of distracted driving.

Reactions: T34ME
We have exactly the same combination - an E400 coupe and the M3. Some call the M3 interior zen-like, other call it thrifty. Some call the Mercedes interior overdone, some call it elegant - to each his / her own.

My opinion:
1. The fit and finish of the Merc is better, and the materials are higher quality.
2. The user interface on Merc is worse - kind of stupid to have a touchpad and rotary dial to go back and forth through menus. They could learn something from Tesla
3. The user interface on Tesla is much better, but overdone - who was the genius thinking to put the glovebox button on the touchscreen?
4. The design of the vents is better on Tesla. At the same time, try to quickly adjust the direction of the flow while driving - hope I am not in the lane next to you when you do that..... I can adjust those not-so-handsome-vents without even looking at them.
5. Cannot really compare cabin noise . Despite the electric drivetrain, Tesla is significantly noisier except at speeds <30 mph.
6. Cannot really compare ride comfort. Tesla is too bumpy.
7. Seat and cabin warming is much better in Tesla. Massage seat in Merc is bliss for a long drive.
8. The interior lights are vastly superior in the Merc. It is not about the ability to select a color (although that is a neat feature), but more that uniform low light distribution greatly reduces eye fatigue at night.

Reactions: kablammyman
Agree. Although in this case you would have to state passenger or driver.
So many of the UI complaints especially from publications harp on the distraction caused by having to use the display for basic settings.
Tesla addressed the EAP complaint where you can now change speed and distance using the right scroll wheel. A big help but there are only two scroll wheels.
It seems like expanding voice commands is the logical next step and has the potential to significantly reduce complaints of distracted driving.
Actually I would imagine that it would default to driver since there is no reason the driver would change passenger temp

We have exactly the same combination - an E400 coupe and the M3. Some call the M3 interior zen-like, other call it thrifty. Some call the Mercedes interior overdone, some call it elegant - to each his / her own.

My opinion:
1. The fit and finish of the Merc is better, and the materials are higher quality.
2. The user interface on Merc is worse - kind of stupid to have a touchpad and rotary dial to go back and forth through menus. They could learn something from Tesla
3. The user interface on Tesla is much better, but overdone - who was the genius thinking to put the glovebox button on the touchscreen?
4. The design of the vents is better on Tesla. At the same time, try to quickly adjust the direction of the flow while driving - hope I am not in the lane next to you when you do that..... I can adjust those not-so-handsome-vents without even looking at them.
5. Cannot really compare cabin noise . Despite the electric drivetrain, Tesla is significantly noisier except at speeds <30 mph.
6. Cannot really compare ride comfort. Tesla is too bumpy.
7. Seat and cabin warming is much better in Tesla. Massage seat in Merc is bliss for a long drive.
8. The interior lights are vastly superior in the Merc. It is not about the ability to select a color (although that is a neat feature), but more that uniform low light distribution greatly reduces eye fatigue at night.

Model 3 base: $35,000
E400 base: $59,000

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36 and xav-
There's opinion and then there's fact of human limitation. Nobody can go thru certainly a multi-level menu without having to look at it whereas a properly designed control can be used by touch alone. This is glaringly obvious but the only thing up for debate is which controls should be available. Problem is solved by Tesla adding an option later on for a limited set of physical controls. (Ideally it would be a cluster of some sort which you could map to whatever functions you want from the touchscreen.) I'd pay $1k or whatever for that. If some people can't see a totally obvious safety/convenience issue, good - they can save their money. :D

Other good idea for Tesla would be to just give us a multi-pin connector which we can then wire up in a DIY manner with a plywood panel and light switches mounted on it.

There's opinion and then there's fact of human limitation. Nobody can go thru certainly a multi-level menu without having to look at it whereas a properly designed control can be used by touch alone. This is glaringly obvious but the only thing up for debate is which controls should be available. Problem is solved by Tesla adding an option later on for a limited set of physical controls. (Ideally it would be a cluster of some sort which you could map to whatever functions you want from the touchscreen.) I'd pay $1k or whatever for that. If some people can't see a totally obvious safety/convenience issue, good - they can save their money. :D

Other good idea for Tesla would be to just give us a multi-pin connector which we can then wire up in a DIY manner with a plywood panel and light switches mounted on it.
Every car has multi-level menus now. The question is how hard is the multi-level menu to use. From my experience with multiple cars... Tesla wins this hands down.

Every car has multi-level menus now. The question is how hard is the multi-level menu to use. From my experience with multiple cars... Tesla wins this hands down.
Most cars restrict access to deeper menus while the vehicle is moving. I think this is a good idea and Tesla should do it too (perhaps in a relaxed form when autopilot is active). Fumbling around in the menus isn't much different from playing around with a phone, and we know where this can lead. And it doesn't just affect the driver's own safety, but everyone else's around them too.

Reactions: Beckler
Most cars restrict access to deeper menus while the vehicle is moving. I think this is a good idea and Tesla should do it too (perhaps in a relaxed form when autopilot is active). Fumbling around in the menus isn't much different from playing around with a phone, and we know where this can lead. And it doesn't just affect the driver's own safety, but everyone else's around them too.

But, Tesla's menus don't go deep, that is the beauty of them.

Nothing can beat a turn knob for temperature control and a turn knob for the radio volume.

But then, I am above 60 ...

Do the scroll wheels on the model 3 not do both of these things?

Left side scroll wheel adjusts the volume and is much easier to use then turning a knob. Neither scroll wheel adjusts the temperature control.