Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 collection - Paint issues / scratches / stone chips etc.. You have 100 miles to report.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveW

May 21, 2019
Beds, UK
Just as a heads up, as I didn't know this (not told) and have fallen foul of the policy, you need to report any paint defects, scratches and chips etc.. within the first 100 miles from delivery for them to be dealt with under warranty.

Tesla informed me of this once I'd submitted my report in 3 days after getting the car (following the first clean of the car when I spotted the very minor defects).
Not grumbling about the policy, but I should have been told, might have washed it straight away when I got in, rather than going out and showing it off and driving it.

Tesla's response to this (me not being told, instead being told "let us know if you find anything") was that I signed for the car in the condition it was in and since I reported after I'd done 100 miles, they won't help.

So please, spend as much time as you need (regardless of them telling you how much time you've got) and scan the car from head to toe! :)

Dave.

exactly this, but Same applies to ICE, if you walk of the dealer forecourt signed the disclaimer and you have not noticed scratches and paintwork damages , good luck trying to prove they were there when you got the car as you signed a disclaimer. Same applies to leased vehicles probably more so as you don't want the leasing company billing you for scratches which were there from day 1.

Take your time and photo, video everything and Please share with the group so we all know common areas and items to look for

Just as a heads up, as I didn't know this (not told) and have fallen foul of the policy, you need to report any paint defects, scratches and chips etc.. within the first 100 miles from delivery for them to be dealt with under warranty.

Tesla informed me of this once I'd submitted my report in 3 days after getting the car (following the first clean of the car when I spotted the very minor defects).
Not grumbling about the policy, but I should have been told, might have washed it straight away when I got in, rather than going out and showing it off and driving it.

Tesla's response to this (me not being told, instead being told "let us know if you find anything") was that I signed for the car in the condition it was in and since I reported after I'd done 100 miles, they won't help.

So please, spend as much time as you need (regardless of them telling you how much time you've got) and scan the car from head to toe! :)

Dave.
Thanks for the heads up

Also how does that work if you drive 52 miles from SC Pickup to home, get home in dusk/dark, wake up at sunrise go to work 50 miles. Work all day then return journey home to get a good look later! Also i bet the Northern Ireland (And other long distant drivers) owners wont be happy with that!

exactly this, but Same applies to ICE, if you walk of the dealer forecourt signed the disclaimer and you have not noticed scratches and paintwork damages , good luck trying to prove they were there when you got the car as you signed a disclaimer. Same applies to leased vehicles probably more so as you don't want the leasing company billing you for scratches which were there from day 1.

Take your time and photo, video everything and Please share with the group so we all know common areas and items to look for

The policy itself is fine, as otherwise it's open to abuse, it's the not telling you and also the fact that there's a fair few Model 3's turning up with defects compared to normal cars.

Thanks for the heads up

Also how does that work if you drive 52 miles from SC Pickup to home, get home in dusk/dark, wake up at sunrise go to work 50 miles. Work all day then return journey home to get a good look later! Also i bet the Northern Ireland (And other long distant drivers) owners wont be happy with that!

I asked this theoretical question, the answer:

"As the opportunity was there to check this on site, we will be unable to assist as these were reported after the 100 mile mark."

Basically, tough!

Don't get me wrong, I love the car and the minor defects I've got I'm fine to live with, maybe sort myself, it's more the way they deal with you etc..

I am not sure , I see there have probably been over 500 UK deliveries now but very few people actually report the paint or scratch defects in this forum which is a shame as Elon encourages it and a Tesla forum community we should share the Negative issues too. It's the only way Tesla can improve.

Reactions: MrBadger
I am not sure , I see there have probably been over 500 UK deliveries now but very few people actually report the paint or scratch defects in this forum which is a shame as Elon encourages it and a Tesla forum community we should share the Negative issues too. It's the only way Tesla can improve.

Lots of people flag very minor issues with paint on collection, the Facebook groups are a lot more vocal on this sort of thing.

but you also have 14 day to give the car back under distance selling regulations. put as many miles back on it as possible then give it back and order another.
Fix a stone chip or take the car back with 1000 miles on the clock? their choice.
I agree spend as much time as possible. I will be travelling back from Edinburgh to Belfast on the ferry - I will have plenty of time to kill checking over the car.

The cars that are given back will initially go to the SC as loaners and demos so they will probably take it back rather than fix the issue.

images

I wish they had made this clear at delivery. Our pick up took 4 hours and the car was wet. I specifically asked the DS how long I had to report defects and he said "a few days".

When I put the service request together 3 days after delivery the initial response from Tesla was that they'd be subject to review as I'd done 160 miles by that point.

I'll wait and see whether they offer to correct them as they're very minor and the major one was picked up during delivery. Unsurprisingly they're all below the belt line (hard to see) and on the extreme corners of the vehicle (most likely to be damaged in transit).

I wish they had made this clear at delivery. Our pick up took 4 hours and the car was wet. I specifically asked the DS how long I had to report defects and he said "a few days".

When I put the service request together 3 days after delivery the initial response from Tesla was that they'd be subject to review as I'd done 160 miles by that point.

I'll wait and see whether they offer to correct them as they're very minor and the major one was picked up during delivery. Unsurprisingly they're all below the belt line (hard to see) and on the extreme corners of the vehicle (most likely to be damaged in transit).

Tell them you want to return it within the 7 day window as your not happy about being told about the 'subject to review' part

I'll be looking out for chips and dings but anything that can be polished out will probably be left to my local detailler to sort out as I'm 120 miles from the SC and won't be making a 4hour round trip just to get a polish.

would you have done the same if it was an ICE car for example Audi or BMW , or would you take it further ?

I'll be looking out for chips and dings but anything that can be polished out will probably be left to my local detailler to sort out as I'm 120 miles from the SC and won't be making a 4hour round trip just to get a polish.

would you have done the same if it was an ICE car for example Audi or BMW , or would you take it further ?

TL;DR Yes, we all work hard to afford nice things so expect them to be handed over in good condition.

I understand that the cars are delivered with less than amazing paintwork due the nature of ferrying them by rail, boat and road and being given a spit polish prior to delivery but it would bug me to know that a car of any value had dents or missing paint at delivery. In terms of something that just needed a polish it would again depend on dealer location but I have at least two dealerships from each major manufacturer within a 30 minute drive so in that case would go to them instaed of being at my expense.

My current car had a couple of tiny paint bubbles on the spoiler so that was resprayed and a note on their system to say that any future blemishes would be covered under warranty. I accept that my car will get swirl marks from washing as I don't have time to go through the process of traffic film pre-wash, snowfoam, power washer rinse, two bucket wash, power washer rinse, towel dry, air blower to remove water from panel gaps, apply sealant, buff.... but I'm also one of those people who will park on the opposite side of an empty carpark so avoid being next to someone and I have been known to abandon a shopping trip if there were no acceptable spaces, much to my wife's annoyance.

Thanks OP for highlighting the 100 mile sitation. Very helpful as I live in Dorset.
Guys, a phone video with the flash ON at about 50cm on does a good job of highlighting the defects.
Im gonna video the whole car based on whats been reported.
IMHO the paint should be perfect on a 40-50k car!! I cant understand how some of them have been delivered in such a bad state and being bodged with the magic paint masking liquid.
To make rhings worse, In an email this week, they said that they could not honor my referral even though I sent them an email a few days after order. I could not see where the referral code needed to be added at time of ordering.
In fact, I am now close to cancelling, its only the potential embarrasment with friends thats keeping me from not.
I'm not loving Tesla atm :(

Reactions: Keeper