Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

parallel universe: assume $ is not an issue (gas, payments, etc.), would you still insist driving MX/MXP SUV over say BMW X7 SUV 100% fully optioned ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, i know.

But given your experiences in owning MX/MXP, would you insist on driving the EV over BMW X7 (say their inline 6, xDrive40i) fully decked to 100% fully optioned, assuming $ is no objection?

Comes down to owning/driving EV SUV over the ICE SUV such as BMW X7?

As a comparison, fully decked out X7 xDrive40i is around $107,975 MSRP (including destination charge). Of course no one pays this amount, so after usual discount, the price comes down to about where say MXP is with optioned interior to say the Cream interior.

So, as question stands, taking out the mpg/gas $ and charging/range "overheads/anxiety" out of the way, based on everything else what's left (eg. driving dynamics, quality, fit/finish, service, customer service, apps, software, hardware, driving assistants, autonomous driving, wipers, resale value, depreciation, luxury, look, cargo space, cabin space, etc. etc. etc.) to compare between these 2 premium SUV's, would you (if you were to do over) choose MX/MXP alone?

And yes, Tesla is #1 in $ to maintain, according to latest Consumer Report, whereas BMW as expected is the "worst".

But also considering battery longevity, assuming you are keeping the car well past 200K miles, for next 10 to 12 years.

Base warranty is the same, 4 years, 50K miles. And BMW includes first year scheduled maintenances included in purchase of vehicle.

Now, for MXP (which is what i'm after), obviously 0-60 is no comparison. So if that is important to you then yeah, hands on MXP is the winner.

Size and weight are "about" the same.

But comparing everything else, how about it?

1715199833693.jpeg

vs

1715199864689.jpeg

Last edited:
I have owned 3 X series BMWs. They were nice cars, but each had their flaws, ranging from excess tire wear, noisy vibrations, to failed turbos. Obviously, the turbo is not an issue for an EV, but I prefer my Tesla Xs over the BMW Xs. FWIW, one of my children owns the last BMW X (am X3 with every option) and still likes it.

Reactions: ev919
Thanks all for the feedback's.

I guess one way to ask my original question is, simply, to those owning (for now) to keep (and not be on a car hopping cycles, since most ev owner's will lease, primarily due to technologies continue to evolve, etc, etc.)

After 10 to 12 years, whether MX will hold up (not on its value) its "quality", assuming, and this is the big one, "well maintained", "well taken care", which includes taking care of your "battery" for longevity.

I've been many contents online, showing (original) MX after 7 to 8 years, in descent conditions. But can't really be sure from these content creators for long term results.

I would "bet" that Tesla quality wouldn't hold up over time better than quality from say BMW and MB, "over time", to those that will want their investments to last through that long of years.

Thanks all for the feedback's.

I guess one way to ask my original question is, simply, to those owning (for now) to keep (and not be on a car hopping cycles, since most ev owner's will lease, primarily due to technologies continue to evolve, etc, etc.)

After 10 to 12 years, whether MX will hold up (not on its value) its "quality", assuming, and this is the big one, "well maintained", "well taken care", which includes taking care of your "battery" for longevity.

I've been many contents online, showing (original) MX after 7 to 8 years, in descent conditions. But can't really be sure from these content creators for long term results.

I would "bet" that Tesla quality wouldn't hold up over time better than quality from say BMW and MB, "over time", to those that will want their investments to last through that long of years.

If you go to a BMW board (and I used to own only BMWs, for roughly 18 years, before I got my model 3 in 2018), the most prevalent thing you will read on a BMW board is "dont own one outside of warranty" (same as people tend to say about every other high end vehicle thats not a collector item).

The fit and finish of the BMW will likely be better over a 10 year span, but the chance of there being a major mechanical issue would be higher, ESPECIALLY on a "loaded up" BMW like you mentioned. The higher you go in the trim level and model on a BMW, the more "cutting edge" (and in BMW land, more likely to have a problem) stuff it has on it.

I had multiple X5s (X7 didnt exist, and we wouldnt have bought one if it did as we dont need that kind of space). Super nice cars for the most part (X5s) but I didnt mind giving them back when the lease cycle was up.

If you go to a BMW board (and I used to own only BMWs, for roughly 18 years, before I got my model 3 in 2018), the most prevalent thing you will read on a BMW board is "dont own one outside of warranty" (same as people tend to say about every other high end vehicle thats not a collector item).

The fit and finish of the BMW will likely be better over a 10 year span, but the chance of there being a major mechanical issue would be higher, ESPECIALLY on a "loaded up" BMW like you mentioned. The higher you go in the trim level and model on a BMW, the more "cutting edge" (and in BMW land, more likely to have a problem) stuff it has on it.

I had multiple X5s (X7 didnt exist, and we wouldnt have bought one if it did as we dont need that kind of space). Super nice cars for the most part (X5s) but I didnt mind giving them back when the lease cycle was up.
Yep, totally makes sense.

And i should know since i own 3 BMw's "at the moment".

But i don't drive them like if they are "stolen". And well maintained, scheduled maintenance, preventative, etc. etc.

I'm just wondering on the point of car holding up "just because of built/made by Tesla" versus "built by someone else, eg. BMW, MB, etc.".

Yes, this is all orange to apple comparison, i know.

But is there ANY of that "Tesla factor" (again, because it's built by Tesla) that gets people concerned.

Yes, i get it ev is mo-better, people don't want to own ICE, no more gas for me, blah, blah, blah, yes, all good.

But should "i" be worried that this is built by "Tesla" mass mfg production?

As someone mentioned earlier, maybe a more apple to apple relevant comparison is, X vs iX, on the same page as both are EV's.

Would your view of MX be any different if built by BMW? And vice a versa for iX, would your view of iX be any less (or better) if made/built by Tesla.

As Elon M. once said, mass mfg is a "hell".

IMHO, even after all these years, Tesla seem to still "struggle" with mass production of vehicles for achieving "consistent" build quality.

I wiill say that, if MX/MXP was made/built by BMW, i would buy it 1,000,000 times over.

That's because on paper, MX/MXP is a great "design" and "engineering marvel". Personally i "love" the FWD and killer performance. And minimalistic "design".

Last edited:
But i don't drive them like if they are "stolen"

Neither did I, for my wifes X3, and believe it or not my local BMW service advisor (who I got to know really well actually) told me, "You are using this car as a grocery getter. You dont drive it hard at all, and all you do with it is drive it around town. It has low mileage, but you are likely to have issues with it later in its life because these cars are MENT TO BE DRIVEN, not just puttering around town".

So, Your typical grocery getter X3/5/7 where someone "takes good care of it" and "doesnt race it around" is more likely to have engine issues later it its life regardless of miles, according to the BMW advisor I knew. He worked at that dealership for like 20 years, and was the service advisor all the other ones went to for advice on stuff.

Anectdotal, 1 person, etc.

Anyway, One thing I dont understand AT ALL is people who go online and want to be convinced of something one way or another. You sound like your mind is made up to buy an X7, so you should probably do that. I have said this in other threads, but I dont believe all cars are for all people. If you want the BMW, buy it, it sounds like you like the brand and are sold on it. There isnt any reason to come here and try to have others convince you of something else.

Anyway, One thing I dont understand AT ALL is people who go online and want to be convinced of something one way or another. You sound like your mind is made up to buy an X7, so you should probably do that. I have said this in other threads, but I dont believe all cars are for all people. If you want the BMW, buy it, it sounds like you like the brand and are sold on it. There isnt any reason to come here and try to have others convince you of something else.
No, to the cotrary.

I would "on the fence" to jump over to MXP, to pick up this coming Saturday.

I do have 2019 X3 M40i, and b58 inline 6 is high quality, IMHO. I like the inline 6, and that is probably only drive train i will get in ICE car. The other 2 BMW's, 2004 e46 m3 (inline 6) and yes, v8 in 2003 e39 m5. :(

I'm just going back and forth on just one thing,

"built by Tesla", that's all.

I'm just going back and forth on just one thing,

"built by Tesla", that's all.

If you are not excited to buy a car (at this price point) then you shouldnt be buying it. Just about any tesla is a "want" but in this price class, if you are hesitant now (and you are, regardless of what you are intending, it looks like you are wanting people to convince you to buy the car), you shouldnt buy it.

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
If you are not excited to buy a car (at this price point) then you shouldnt be buying it. Just about any tesla is a "want" but in this price class, if you are hesitant now (and you are, regardless of what you are intending, it looks like you are wanting people to convince you to buy the car), you shouldnt buy it.
Yep, precisely,

From the "need" of Toyota Hybrid Grand Highlander SUV goes to "want" Model X Plaid / BMW X7

Damn Toyota Hybrid on average has ~1 "year" of waiting list

Reactions: GSP
Yeah, i know.

But given your experiences in owning MX/MXP, would you insist on driving the EV over BMW X7 (say their inline 6, xDrive40i) fully decked to 100% fully optioned, assuming $ is no objection?

Comes down to owning/driving EV SUV over the ICE SUV such as BMW X7?

As a comparison, fully decked out X7 xDrive40i is around $107,975 MSRP (including destination charge). Of course no one pays this amount, so after usual discount, the price comes down to about where say MXP is with optioned interior to say the Cream interior.

So, as question stands, taking out the mpg/gas $ and charging/range "overheads/anxiety" out of the way, based on everything else what's left (eg. driving dynamics, quality, fit/finish, service, customer service, apps, software, hardware, driving assistants, autonomous driving, wipers, resale value, depreciation, luxury, look, cargo space, cabin space, etc. etc. etc.) to compare between these 2 premium SUV's, would you (if you were to do over) choose MX/MXP alone?

And yes, Tesla is #1 in $ to maintain, according to latest Consumer Report, whereas BMW as expected is the "worst".

But also considering battery longevity, assuming you are keeping the car well past 200K miles, for next 10 to 12 years.

Base warranty is the same, 4 years, 50K miles. And BMW includes first year scheduled maintenances included in purchase of vehicle.

Now, for MXP (which is what i'm after), obviously 0-60 is no comparison. So if that is important to you then yeah, hands on MXP is the winner.

Size and weight are "about" the same.

But comparing everything else, how about it?

View attachment 1045440

vs

View attachment 1045441
Are those nostrils on the boxy BMW? Can you guess my preference?

Decided.

Getting X7, fully optioned, with the Crystal Headlights. lol...

I will get EV.

But not right now, timing for me to get EV is not now.

But i will, EV is the future.

Probably will trade in the X3 and get M3P.

This allows the family to have the larger SUV, while i venture into "my" daily EV without them nagging. So get them satisfied with X7, years to come, over what the wife drives daily in her 2002 Odyssey. She deserves "luxury" SUV, with all the bling i can give her.

And for me to have performance EV, 0-60 2.9 sec seem reasonable, haha...

Or, who knows maybe i'll just dump all 3 of my BMWs when moving to EV.

1715291048434.png

I'll be back, with EV...

1715291143711.png

I’d still get a Tesla but …

From now on every Tesla I buy would be with a cashier’s check and after compiling a thorough list of quality checks at delivery including being able to open the car, doors, trunk. I’m going with a magnifying glass and a gap measuring device too. There’s no way ever I compromise angain any quality issues prior to delivery that I can discover, and I will take my sweet time looking for them.