Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Comfortable for Someone 5′ 2″?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am of similar stature and I can honestly say that I have no issues achieving a comfortable driving position. The front dash is so low that the field of view is better than any other car I've driven. Plus the seat is very adjustable as is the steering wheel. So I'd be very surprised if you would have a problem.

Agree with above, but believe that rear visibility diminishes as The driver chair is moved up and forward. We have a 5’2 Driver in the household, and the seat position for that driver Essentially creates a wall which is difficult to see behind. You will get used to it, But it can be a difficult transition at first

Reactions: Redding#2
Agree with above, but believe that rear visibility diminishes as The driver chair is moved up and forward. We have a 5’2 Driver in the household, and the seat position for that driver Essentially creates a wall which is difficult to see behind. You will get used to it, But it can be a difficult transition at first

Do you think it is a safety issue for small drivers?

Also, do you think the rear view camera adequately resolves this?

Thanks everyone! Do you think the rear visibility is a nonissue? What driving scenarios is it mostly a problem? I think low speed, especially reverse shouldn't be a problem because of the camera, but what about tailgaters and freeway driving?

Thanks everyone! Do you think the rear visibility is a nonissue? What driving scenarios is it mostly a problem? I think low speed, especially reverse shouldn't be a problem because of the camera, but what about tailgaters and freeway driving?
I'm same height and all the seat adjustments mean it's no problem to drive.

Visibility is a little low out the rear window but you can still see the tops of cars, even when they're tailgating. It's not something that's a big deal and hasn't caused me any issues to date. You can always pop the rear camera on to double-check, the option is there even when you're not in reverse.

I'm same height and all the seat adjustments mean it's no problem to drive.

Visibility is a little low out the rear window but you can still see the tops of cars, even when they're tailgating. It's not something that's a big deal and hasn't caused me any issues to date. You can always pop the rear camera on to double-check, the option is there even when you're not in reverse.

Thanks. Rear visibility and size adjustments are really my only concerns.

Just have a look at my signature to see what I named my car and you'll have my answer. But I agree with the others who said the rear window view is not great for anyone.

Franco: And now, my friend, the first rule of Italian driving: [breaks off the rear-view mirror and throws it away] what's behind me is not important!

Can't say that's my driving philosophy!

5'1" driver here.

I sit "lounge" style in my M3 (low and stretched).

Seat : My seat is at the bottomost setting. The seat position has a wide range of ajustment and you can drive comfortably in any "style" at that height.

Mirrors : easily ajustable to proper "blindspot" mode to "i need to see the side of my car" mode

Rear visibility : I will echo other poster in saying that rearview is not the best /easiest on account of the slightly raised trunk. I see the following car's windshield and up, sometimes part of the top of the hood. However, I think visibility will go *up* if I raised the seat. Also, you can use the rearview camera to see behind. Honest review : you get used to it and it's a tiny speck vs what the car offers...

@buttershrimp : I call your MIL and raise you a nephew in the trunk

IMG_20180710_102851.jpg

I'm just as "tall" as you are. This is the best car I've ever driven and part of that is due to the low dash in front, which means i can adjust my seat like a normal person! In every other car I've driven, I instinctively move the seat to the highest position possible as soon as i get into the car. I tried to do the same to the Model 3 when I first sat in it. I quickly realized adjusting to the highest position was waaaay to tall. Over the course of the next week, I kept adjusting my seat lower and lower. It is so easy to see over the dash. When I switch to other cars, I realize how much I'm constantly straining to see over the dash. Since I can now sit at a reasonable height, I can also move my seat a little further back than usual, which is the way I prefer it (gives me more room to stretch out my long legs ;)).

Rear visibility...eh...it is what it is. Not the best, but you learn to adjust to it. I don't think it's height related, I think everyone has the same not so great visibility out the back. I drove in a loaner S and I thought the rear visibility was so much worse .

5’2.5” here (gotta claim that extra .5!). At night you can’t see the headlights of cars close behind, and because it is dark it can be difficult to see their roof. The rear camera helps in those situations. Because the rear view ain’t great and is partially blocked by the rear headrests, I recommend learning to properly adjust your side mirrors for the blind spots. How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

As far as seat adjustments, it has been fine for me, although the seatbelt shoulder adjustment could go lower IMHO.

The car is MUCH friendlier for short people than the S. I felt like I needed pedal extensions for my S to be far enough from the airbag and I had to keep one of those stupid seat belt pads on the belt to keep it from cutting into my neck.