Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL 3 Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I’ve purchased an SD card, formatted it to Fat32 and inserted it (via a usb adapter) into the car.
When I did this, the sentry camera icon appeared at the top of the screen, I clicked this until it was RED, so it’s now recording sentry incidents.
my question is about the dashcam function, the guy at Tesla assured me that the car has built in Dashcam, and when watching YouTube the Dashcam icon should also appear at the top of the screen.... however it didn’t do this for me .

anyone got any idea ?

Apologies if this is covered in another thread, I did look but couldn’t find

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Photo below shows the 2 icons

Camera with little dot is the dash cam which means it's On
HAL 2000 eye is the sentry cam On

IMG_20191129_183806.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: DanTW_GB and Durzel
Anyone know if plans to make viewing sentry/dashcam footage available on the screen in the car? Or even view remotely on your phone ...any solution that basically allows the usb to stay plugged in all the time?

dash and especially sentry clearly an after thought - as well as previously mentioned raspberry pi, you can also get wifi enabled cards.

Personally, I just rotate a couple of cards every few weeks.

Some third party web apps or apps that can be used. I personally like TeslaCam Video WebApp Player and have donated to it as it shows good progress - some people incorrectly believe it is uploading video to servers - it doesn't its purely a web browser based app, so maybe one day, it could make it to the cars screen if they were given access to the drives from the cars web browser.

I'm part way through setting up a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a USB storage device for the Tesla, with the ability to dump video to our home server as soon as it gets within wifi range.

In the meantime, I'm using a Samsung T5 USB SSD, that has two partitions each with a single folder, one named TeslaCam and the other named TeslaMusic. The music folder contains my entire collection of MP3s. I followed the description given here: http://www.thebrainspike.com/how-to...ssd-for-tesla-model-3-complete-windows-guide/

This setup seems to work flawlessly, as far as I've been able to tell.

Reactions: Roy W. and Ant M3