Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 drivers seat slightly loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a problem with my driver seat for a while. It's slightly loose unless the seat is moved all the way back.
When rocking back and forth in the drivers seat the seat moves maybe 2-3mm or so.

Tesla checked the seat and says that normal (passenger seat doesnt have this).
When the seat is moved all the way back it stops.
It's not a massively big deal but it can be annoying as it rocks back slightly under acceleration.

Anyone got any idea what is causing this and how to fix it myself?

My driver side seat does this also. they tried tighening a bolt, but it came back shortly. It rocks from the left front of the seat upwards with acceleration, or even just pushing on the floor with my foot. they ordered me a new seat, but I needed to approve an estimate of $2000+ dollars for the seat if they "determined it wasn't a warranty issue." so I balked. but I may take it back. it is frustrating. I've brought it up multiple times, and sometimes they say "cannot reproduce the problem."

I'm wondering if a little JB weld on the affected bolt might solve it.

my seat started squeeking so mobile service tech had a look at it and lubricated some stuff which according to him didnt fully alleviate the problem (it did however). He said the reason why it does it is because something is rubbing - and its rubbing because my seat bracket is broken and has to be replaced so I can make a service appointment for that.

Interestingly enough if the noise would have gone away he would have probably not advised replacement despite the seat bracket being broken. Im 99% sure this is also the cause of the moving seat!

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
my seat started squeeking so mobile service tech had a look at it and lubricated some stuff which according to him didnt fully alleviate the problem (it did however). He said the reason why it does it is because something is rubbing - and its rubbing because my seat bracket is broken and has to be replaced so I can make a service appointment for that.

Interestingly enough if the noise would have gone away he would have probably not advised replacement despite the seat bracket being broken. Im 99% sure this is also the cause of the moving seat!
Did Tesla ever fix the seat? I have had the same problem for months now. Tesla told me if the Driver seat rocks on acceleration, its normal and within spec. Its frustraing, even the slightest acceleration at a traffic light causes the seat to move. It feels loose and rocks like its going to tip over. Also my seat rubs against the center console and they told me that's within spec also. Very frustrating dealing with Tesla and mobile service.

Reactions: beachmiles
the noise actually went away just with lubrication (which the tech says didnt solve the issue, but i reckon in the 3-4 hours it took me to pick the car up - we have to drop the car off here for mobile service at a central point - the lube spread a bit).

I still booked myself in for a frame replacement - ironically they made it quite clear that if lubrication would have worked they wouldnt have offered to replace the seat which is just poor craftmansship imho. Coz itll just break more later. My rocking isnt THAT bad to be honest though.

I got an appointment booked for the 21st of december to get the seat frame replaced when I next drive to the service centre (1600km away). my drivers seat rocks under acceleration - im sure its part of the broken seatframe. we will know more in december i guess.

Seat rubbing against the seate console can be normal. I have a seatcover on and it rubs quite badly but I dont think I got any rubbing if i dont have the seat covers (and centre console covers) on as this adds like 3-4mm. Seat rubbing is unfortunately as per spec so you got two options. 1) lubricate the seat with some vynil conditioner or 2) apply some felt tape to the console. I would just apply some generous vynil conditioner to the centre console side and seat side.

I personally dont understand that i.e. Tesla replaces the seat but if they think its not a warranty issue then you have to pay. The issue is not the seat, the issue is the rocking - that is what the warranty is for. Regardless of what the cause is. Under normal use this shouldnt happen.

the noise actually went away just with lubrication (which the tech says didnt solve the issue, but i reckon in the 3-4 hours it took me to pick the car up - we have to drop the car off here for mobile service at a central point - the lube spread a bit).

I still booked myself in for a frame replacement - ironically they made it quite clear that if lubrication would have worked they wouldnt have offered to replace the seat which is just poor craftmansship imho. Coz itll just break more later. My rocking isnt THAT bad to be honest though.

I got an appointment booked for the 21st of december to get the seat frame replaced when I next drive to the service centre (1600km away). my drivers seat rocks under acceleration - im sure its part of the broken seatframe. we will know more in december i guess.

Seat rubbing against the seate console can be normal. I have a seatcover on and it rubs quite badly but I dont think I got any rubbing if i dont have the seat covers (and centre console covers) on as this adds like 3-4mm. Seat rubbing is unfortunately as per spec so you got two options. 1) lubricate the seat with some vynil conditioner or 2) apply some felt tape to the console. I would just apply some generous vynil conditioner to the centre console side and seat side.

I personally dont understand that i.e. Tesla replaces the seat but if they think its not a warranty issue then you have to pay. The issue is not the seat, the issue is the rocking - that is what the warranty is for. Regardless of what the cause is. Under normal use this shouldnt happen.
Tesla service center changed the seat tracking on my seat and it fixed the problem. After multiple lazy mobile service guys who Said it was within spec and totally normal….. even though I felt like I was going to end up in the backseat from my driver seat with a quick acceleration….. they kept saying rocking seats are within spec.

Reactions: beachmiles
I have had a problem with my driver seat for a while. It's slightly loose unless the seat is moved all the way back.
When rocking back and forth in the drivers seat the seat moves maybe 2-3mm or so.

It's not a massively big deal but it can be annoying as it rocks back slightly under acceleration.

Experiencing the same problem in a 2018 MX, when accelerating both front driver and passenger seats rock back, the Service Center is replacing both seats to my surprise.

A little late to this thread, I had exact same issue with 2018 model 3, after 2-3 repetitive complaints, they acknowledge the issue with the seat and finally got it replaced with a new one under the warranty. It is a known issue with older generation model 3.

at first, Tesla will deny the issue but report to NHTSA as it is a safety issue if the seat wobbles a bit during acceleration or braking of the car.

Reactions: Mercedes fan
A little late to this thread, I had exact same issue with 2018 model 3, after 2-3 repetitive complaints, they acknowledge the issue with the seat and finally got it replaced with a new one under the warranty. It is a known issue with older generation model 3.

at first, Tesla will deny the issue but report to NHTSA as it is a safety issue if the seat wobbles a bit during acceleration or braking of the car.

i reported it but nothing happened - part of the issue is that im in Australia maybe.
Tesla will replace my seat bracket anyway due to previous noise issue(not happened yet as i lived 1600km from the service centre, but i now live 150km away, so hopefully next few months).

i reported it but nothing happened - part of the issue is that im in Australia maybe.
Tesla will replace my seat bracket anyway due to previous noise issue(not happened yet as i lived 1600km from the service centre, but i now live 150km away, so hopefully next few months).

That's too bad, push your service center and ask them to talk to their US counterparts. It is certainly a known defect in order gen model 3 where seat doesn't securely latch at the place and has a little bit of wobbling effect when you accelerate and/or deaccelerate.

Reactions: Mercedes fan
One of the reasons I'm not considering buying Tesla as a replacement for 2nd car is that the overall build quality of M3 is OK. I'm not sure how much build quality has improved as it falls short of a true luxury experience.

They changed my seat tracking and it was fine for about 6 weeks. My seat is rocking again, and keeps rubbing the center console. I hate how Tesla just keeps doing band aid repairs on serious problems. My rear seat misalignment mean while has been “parts on order” for almost 18 months now, every 30 days they push the appointment back. Tesla has parts, only reason they were able to assemble 310000 vehicles last quarter….. but as soon as you buy one you are treated second tier and parts are always on back order. After 18 months of problems and lip service and within specs, I’m really starting to hate Tesla. Horrible customer service.

Ah, happy to find this thread. I have a 2022 MIC RWD Model 3, and my driver's seat is rocking a bit too, regardless of adjusted position. I guess it's not just a problem with older models.

If you're still reading @Candleflame, how did you convince them to replace the seat? I put mine in for service a couple of weeks ago - they initially said they'd replace it, but the next week changed their mind and said it was within spec. They tightened mounting bolts etc but made no difference.

It's not too bad (yet) - just shifts enough to be annoying on deceleration - but I really feel as though I shouldn't have to put up with this on a brand new A$60k car....

Interesting. Mine is MIC 2022 M3 RWD in Australia. Not accelerating hard bit more so on stopping right before it comes to a complete stop, you can feel the seat itself moves (more like a definitive click which translates to something solid moving small fraction). Had wife drove and I was in passenger seat and felt the same things. I then questioned myself is it the seat or the seat back but with my back off the seat, the seat itself definitely the culprit. Checked both seats when parked I can't find any loose metal shaving or rail not any loose play. Considering lodging a call to service centre but I fear it would be the good o can't reproduce problem.

Sounds like we have exact same issue @Ernest H - good on you for investigating further.

I feel it right under the left cheek of my posterior. Wondered for a while whether it might be where the seatbelt buckle clip attaches to the seat, but have tried moving that around, padding it etc to no avail. Would love to get to the bottom of it - perhaps we'll just need to book ours in until we find a sympathetic service tech....