Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 driver's side door won't open from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I installed the latest software update (last night), the driver's side door won't open from the inside. The other doors are fine. I tried with Driver Door Unlock mode both on and off. I tried a soft reboot. Same problem. Any suggestions?

Hard to believe they don't have a test for "will this new software break peoples ability to open the drivers door from inside" or that they would be screwing around in the software that actually affects that.

Funny you should say that.... (lol).

One of the features that is supposed to be in the new update is a new "driver door unlock mode"

(Screenshot grabbed from: 2022.40.4 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates to give appropriate credit)

TeslaUpdate 2022.20.4 DriveDoorUnlock.jpg

It certainly wouldnt be strange if something happened to some peoples cars. I would suggest to the OP that they try a "power off" from the menu, and let it sit powered off for at least 15-20 minutes at a minimum, vs the "two scroll wheel reboot".

Upvote 0
Funny you should say that.... (lol).

One of the features that is supposed to be in the new update is a new "driver door unlock mode"

(Screenshot grabbed from: 2022.40.4 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates to give appropriate credit)

View attachment 872972

It certainly wouldnt be strange if something happened to some peoples cars. I would suggest to the OP that they try a "power off" from the menu, and let it sit powered off for at least 15-20 minutes at a minimum, vs the "two scroll wheel reboot".
Thanks!

Perhaps just turning that option off and on and off again would make things work again. I also don't really see the benefit of this option over short-pressing the 'lock' icon at the top of the screen. Maybe OP is just used to long-pressing the driver door button to get it to open, or Tesla's definition of 'long' isn't very long at all.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Thanks!

Perhaps just turning that option off and on and off again would make things work again. I also don't really see the benefit of this option over short-pressing the 'lock' icon at the top of the screen. Maybe OP is just used to long-pressing the driver door button to get it to open, or Tesla's definition of 'long' isn't very long at all.
I tried turning that option on and off. No dice. I have also tried long pressing (as that was what had been working) and short pressing. I'll try the reboot again. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0
I've tried all the suggestions and nothing works. I've resorted to opening my window and opening it using the outside handle. 😛

Im assuming you mean "While waiting for the service appointment I scheduled, I have resorted to opening the window and opening it using the outside handle", right?

Reactions: Kimmi
Upvote 0
Yes, I've made an appointment. And I don't want to use the manual release continuously as I don't want to damage the window.
It doesn't damage the window trim anymore. That was an issue a long time ago. Now when you pull the interior manual release the window comes down same as normal. Tesla added it as an update... Also you said you were rolling down the window and reaching outside in the previous post. So even if the window wasn't dropping like it does now... You already rolled it down why reach outside?

Upvote 0
Yes, I've made an appointment. And I don't want to use the manual release continuously as I don't want to damage the window.
The mechanical door pull also activates the frameless window lowering to clear the trim. Just use it, but open the door slowly, or don't push it open until the window drops a little. Or open the window before opening the door.

I.e. don't pull it while pushing the door open as hard as you can to open it quickly with the window closed.

Upvote 0
Rumors about the manual release somehow being changed in software are incorrect. Want proof? Read the manual and/or look at the error message on the screen.

Or familiarize yourself with the way the system works:
- When you use the normal internal/external handle (or app) the computer rolls the window down *first*. Then *after some time delay* it unlatches the door.
- There are no sensors on the emergency release handle so it can unlatch the door without giving any advance notice to the computer.
- There is a sensor inside the latch, and it does detect that the latch has been opened by whatever means, and the computer does drop the window accordingly in response - but this is fundamentally different because here the window is being lowered *after* the latch was triggered rather than *before*.

Knowing this, you can safely use the emergency handle by simply holding the door inward during that first instant while the window rolls down. Or better yet, just slightly lower the window before pulling the handle.

Upvote 0
In a possibly related bug with 2022.40.4: After the car (2018 Model 3) locks when walking away, upon returning it does not unlock the rear trunk lid from outside, and the passenger and back doors do not unlock from outside. The driver's door does unlock. Pressing the screen inside does not unlock the trunk. I can unlock the trunk outside by opening the app and touching Controls and OPEN above back window.

Upvote 0
Rumors about the manual release somehow being changed in software are incorrect. Want proof? Read the manual and/or look at the error message on the screen.

Or familiarize yourself with the way the system works:
- When you use the normal internal/external handle (or app) the computer rolls the window down *first*. Then *after some time delay* it unlatches the door.
- There are no sensors on the emergency release handle so it can unlatch the door without giving any advance notice to the computer.
- There is a sensor inside the latch, and it does detect that the latch has been opened by whatever means, and the computer does drop the window accordingly in response - but this is fundamentally different because here the window is being lowered *after* the latch was triggered rather than *before*.

Knowing this, you can safely use the emergency handle by simply holding the door inward during that first instant while the window rolls down. Or better yet, just slightly lower the window before pulling the handle.

The rumors are definitely correct it was changed significantly. Originally it didn't drop the window AT ALL and you had to push the door open through the rubber seal and chrome window trim. The door just unlatched and needed to be pushed. Then when you closed the door the window was still up and it would hit the chrome window trim. It did not drop at all.

I am very familiar with it. I damaged my chrome trim in 2019 because a passenger pulled it. Some passengers still find it first before the button.

It is nearly impossible to damage the window trim now. I literally sat in the car and pulled the handle about 30 times in a row just now trying to beat the window down.

Still like you said it doesn't drop before the latch vs like the button so it's probably better to lower the window first or go slow. You are correct about that I tested it just now. It's reacting before movement on the button but after latch movement with the emergency release. In theory if you pushed really fast you may be able to catch the window trim. Just because I can't doesn't mean its not possible to happen this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0