Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dual Motor image from updated configurator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://static-assets.tesla.com/share/tesla_design_studio_assets/MODEL3/UI/awd.png?&version=0.0.23

awd.png

So it looks like the rear power unit is the same as in the RWD version. The front unit looks a bit smaller.
I'm hoping this bodes well for the performance potential.

I'm definitely torn between getting first production (when my non-owner slot comes up) or waiting for the AWD.

Knowing the cost of dual motors would be awesome as well. Without it-it's hard to pass first production. Would really be horrific if decide to wait for dual motors then realize can't afford it and miss out on first production.

Great pic! Shows the steel sub frames front and rear as well. Unlike the S and X both motors are mounted between the 2 axles. I can’t say enough about how much this improves handling. You will feel this in everyday driving especially during quick maneuvering and corner turn-in. The one downside is it limited battery case size to between the axles/motors. However I’m more than happy with the range from the current 2170’s in the LR.

Knowing the cost of dual motors would be awesome as well. Without it-it's hard to pass first production. Would really be horrific if decide to wait for dual motors then realize can't afford it and miss out on first production.

Not sure you'd miss out on First production if you wait and then change your mind. From other configurers' posts you can change your mind at any time and still hold your place in line without losing your priority. Think this was confirmed in Tesla's verbage somewhere. And I know AZ_Rael passed on First thinking she'd go for AWD, then got her current MS totalled, and was able to go back and order First Production and configure.

Knowing the cost of dual motors would be awesome as well

I think dual motors on the 3 will be no more than $5000, as that's what it cost on the Model S -- back when it was an option. I want to say there was an Elon tweet after the Model 3 reveal implying options like DM would be 20% cheaper than they were for the S.

I got my invite to build 2 weeks ago, but I'm waiting to learn more about DM (cost, performance, range) and the white interior option.

I think dual motors on the 3 will be no more than $5000, as that's what it cost on the Model S -- back when it was an option. I want to say there was an Elon tweet after the Model 3 reveal implying options like DM would be 20% cheaper than they were for the S.

I got my invite to build 2 weeks ago, but I'm waiting to learn more about DM (cost, performance, range) and the white interior option.
The tweet only said it will be cheaper and linked to air suspension, it didn't say anything about 20% cheaper

Knowing Tesla, they would bundle with air suspension and PUP which would cost way more for the people just want LR and AWD

I'm not convinced they will link dual motor to air suspension. If they have the dual motor ready to go, and it has a higher profit margin than the rear wheel drive, it would be in their best interested to begin selling as soon as they are ready to go. I'm hoping the fact that this image exists means that this will be the next option to be added. (I know the delivery estimates say otherwise)

I'm not convinced they will link dual motor to air suspension. If they have the dual motor ready to go, and it has a higher profit margin than the rear wheel drive, it would be in their best interested to begin selling as soon as they are ready to go. I'm hoping the fact that this image exists means that this will be the next option to be added. (I know the delivery estimates say otherwise)

Elon has already said that SAS is linked to AWD. (So does that mean you can only get SAS as an option if you get AWD, or does that mean that all AWD cars come with SAS?)

Remember one of the keys for Model 3 is to reduce the number of build options. So my guess is that SAS and AWD are bundled into a single package.

Last edited:
Elon has already said that SAS is linked to AWD. (So does that mean you can only get SAS as an option if you get AWD, or does that mean that all AWD cars come with SAS?)

Remember one of the keys for Model 3 is to reduce the number of build options. So my guess is that SAS and AWD are bundled into a single package.

I believe SAS and AWD will be linked together in the configure. I think the Third Production AWD car with LR battery will be ultimately closest to the MS. All Model S and Xs now come with AWD and SAS as standard. Thought they eliminated coil suspension not that long ago and now it's no longer an option for their luxury class cars.

Last edited:
So it looks like the rear power unit is the same as in the RWD version.
The front unit looks a bit smaller. I'm hoping this bodes well for the performance potential.
I'm definitely torn between getting first production (when my non-owner slot comes up) or waiting for the AWD.
From the Electrec article ... Tesla Model 3 dual motor design leaks in latest design studio update
It confirms that like Model S, the Model 3’s front motor is much smaller and therefore, it’s likely going to have a lower power output.
Tesla says that the dual motor all-wheel-drive Model 3 will be available starting in “Spring 2018”.

I believe SAS and AWD will be linked together in the configure. I think the Third Production AWD car with LR battery will be ultimately closest to the MS. All Model S and Xs now come with AWD and SAS as standard. Thought they eliminated coil suspension not that long ago and now it's no longer an option for their luxury class cars.

Possibly the release of SAS linked to the release of AWD has something to do with a release of a towing option as well. Unlike the S and X where they eliminated coil springs entirely I think they will continue to have coil springs on the base model. I agree AWD and SAS may be linked to configure as they have been moving away from ‘individual’ options.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I know it has a smaller cross-sectional area from this angle, but I'm not convinced that it is actually smaller. If you look at the Model S, which has identically speced front and rear motors on the non-performance trim, the front motor has a smaller cross-sectional area when viewed from overheard, but that is because it is oriented more vertically than the rear motor. I think the same thing is happening here, and we could be looking at different packaging for otherwise identical motors.

Reactions: 03DSG and MP3Mike