Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Extended Drive Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cucubits

May 17, 2019
TX
So here's my pickle: I'm close to ordering a Model 3 but, for the time being, my only option of charging at home will be a single 110v outlet in my garage. It is an apartment complex with no option of upgrading this. I have no problem with the slow charging but I would really love to find out exactly how slow it is, and if it will work (I've heard that if the outlet is not properly grounded, it may not charge at all).

For this, I'm thinking to get a Model 3 somehow here and plug it in. I'm about 14 miles away from a Tesla store so I'm not sure if I have a chance of them letting me take a long drive test. I tried to email Tesla about this but no reply so far. I know I could just rent one on Turo, but it's a lot of $ for the car so I'm trying to save up anything I can.

- any advice on how to get an extended drive test so I could take a Model 3 home for a little while?

- another wild idea: is there maybe someone in the DFW area with a Model 3 who's close to Las Colinas area and wouldn't mind stopping by for 10 minutes?

Just do the math. It charges at 5 miles of range per hour on 110v. If you charge for 12 hours a day and drive less than 60 miles a day, you're good. If you drive more than that, you're not. No need to drive one and keep it at your apartment to determine that.

I don't know if it's a 15 or 20Amp plug. I don't have access to the breaker box.

With the distance I'll be fine, I don't have a daily commute. Some days I go to the office, some days I work from home.
What I would like to really make sure is that it will charge at all, with the speed of charge being an added bonus. I've seen pics of Model 3 complaining that "outlet not properly grounded" and not charging at all. This is my worry.

When we went to the showroom a few weeks ago, the advisor asked us if we wanted to take the 3 for an overnight test drive completely unprompted. We scheduled it for a week out, loved the car, and we're picking up our new 3 on Friday.

Just go to the store and ask. If you're a serious buyer, they should have no problem letting you take it for an extended test drive.

A multi-meter and outlet tester should get you all the information you need.

Getting the voltage tells you that the outlet is working and gives you a value for later calculations(if you really want to do that). Nominal is 120V but it could be up to 5% less, before any excessive length cable losses.

An outlet tester will tell you whether the outlet is wired correctly.

Visually looking at the outlet *should* tell you whether it is 15 or 20 amps. If one of the slots in the outlet looks like a sideways T then it is a 20A outlet, and should have 20A rated wire and breaker.

The breaker might be a GFCI that you may end up tripping, so you would need to know how to get a hold of the appropriate maintenance person to reset it. I think this is the most important thing to figure out and is really the only thing you would NEED to have an actual tesla plugged in to find out.

I'd be happy to stop by but abetterrouteplanner says it would take me 24 hours and 22 minutes, 3 hours and 52 minutes of which would be charging. :)

Edit...ohh sorry, and you are looking at 3-5 miles of range per hour on a 120V/15A circuit, probably 4-6 on a 20A circuit.

Thanks for all the info everyone! :)

It looks like a regular 15 Amp outlet (no T shape slot in it).

Indeed, I forgot to mention, I see two Superchargers close by, one 15 miles away, one 11, so yeah, topping off from time to time shouldn't be a problem at all. My work place is under 6 miles away so for regular daily driving, my setup should be fine. Also I believe there is EV charging somewhere around there too.

Reactions: ElectricGhost
Thanks for all the info everyone! :)

It looks like a regular 15 Amp outlet (no T shape slot in it).

Indeed, I forgot to mention, I see two Superchargers close by, one 15 miles away, one 11, so yeah, topping off from time to time shouldn't be a problem at all. My work place is under 6 miles away so for regular daily driving, my setup should be fine. Also I believe there is EV charging somewhere around there too.

FWIW, if this outlet in your garage is on a circuit solely for the garage, and if the builder didn't skimp on wiring, you may be able to easily convert it to a 20A outlet. While still slow, that'd bump your charge power by about 33%.

FWIW, if this outlet in your garage is on a circuit solely for the garage, and if the builder didn't skimp on wiring, you may be able to easily convert it to a 20A outlet. While still slow, that'd bump your charge power by about 33%.

If the wiring supports it but you still have to swap out the breaker, then you might as well just put in a 2-pole breaker to get you 240V. And actually if you could get the breaker swapped out, it could still be a 15A 240V circuit. 240V/15A gets you 11MPH, 240V/20A gets you 15MPG.

If the wiring supports it but you still have to swap out the breaker, then you might as well just put in a 2-pole breaker to get you 240V. And actually if you could get the breaker swapped out, it could still be a 15A 240V circuit. 240V/15A gets you 11MPH, 240V/20A gets you 15MPG.

That relies on it being a circuit just for this one outlet, though, right? And not for the garage door opener?