Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair the power train battery is already covered by a long warranty period from Tesla. And I doubt any other vehicle warranty covers the 12 volt battery, kind of like tires, but I could be wrong. But at this point I'm probably not going to get an extended warranty, only because my funds are a bit short this time of year and especially this year. I doubt my car will have computer or display issues, I mean because most home computers are pretty solid now a days, so the ones in my car should be too.

If the computer failed, and you needed to pay to replace it, it would still be less cost than the extended warranty you are contemplating buying.

Yes pls do. I plan on combining with something else, so they don't charge additional (maybe!)

The cost for this inspection for me was $143. They didnt find anything, but did also do the Camera cable grommet (rear view camera) recall at the same time.

Its my guess (stress, guess) that even if I had tried to make the appointment be for the camera recall, then asked for this inspection, it likely would have been the same charge. I personally believe this charge is reasonable for what I was asking, so was not looking to try to find some way to avoid it.

Reactions: vickh
I doubt my car will have computer or display issues, I mean because most home computers are pretty solid now a days, so the ones in my car should be too.
Most home computers are not subjected to any vibrations or extreme temp changes that you'll get in your Tesla. Especially with an M3 that has such a cheap suspension. I would hope that Tesla requires their parts suppliers to meet certain resiliency standards, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: XCare EV
Most home computers are not subjected to any vibrations or extreme temp changes that you'll get in your Tesla. Especially with an M3 that has such a cheap suspension. I would hope that Tesla requires their parts suppliers to meet certain resiliency standards, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Considering how many older Tesla's are on the road with no computer issues, I'd say they've met the standards.

Yeah to replace it is about 3/4 of a 2 year warranty. What about the next thing that breaks? Tesla OWNS all the parts and can charge whatever they want
plus 200/hr labor
This train of thought is not much different than playing slot machines and thinking "why stop now, I am bound to hit it soon, right?"

Advocating to guaranteed spend now, because you "might" have spend later, is usually not a winning strategy, but hey if it works for you, you do you.

My 2018 LR Model 3 warranty expires Dec 1st and I'm a bit concerned about owning the car without warranty coverage because of how expensive repairs can be. Has anyone gotten an extended warranty for their Model 3? I know Tesla doesn't offer it.
i thought tesla does offer it? i think its an extra 1800 for 2 more years or 25000 miles, its under the upgrades on the tesla app.

This train of thought is not much different than playing slot machines and thinking "why stop now, I am bound to hit it soon, right?"

Advocating to guaranteed spend now, because you "might" have spend later, is usually not a winning strategy, but hey if it works for you, you do you.
This has nothing to do with gambling. As Sandy Munro said in one of his videos there are 30000 parts in Teslas. And in another video he says the model X
has a little switch that adjusts the seat. what's the fix? Replace the switch? NO. REPLACE the whole seat. How much is that? We don't know because the
head twit doesn't publish a parts and price list and as many people have found there are no warehouses full of parts laying around.

Considering how many older Tesla's are on the road with no computer issues, I'd say they've met the standards.
Tesla MCUs and ECUs are very robust, that is true. They do have an issue with delamination of the screen that we see frequently, where the fluid between the outer layer and the screen leaks out and ultimately makes the screen inoperable. This is issue we also see frequently with the driver display in Model S/X (display in front of the driver).

This has nothing to do with gambling. As Sandy Munro said in one of his videos there are 30000 parts in Teslas. And in another video he says the model X
has a little switch that adjusts the seat. what's the fix? Replace the switch? NO. REPLACE the whole seat. How much is that? We don't know because the
head twit doesn't publish a parts and price list and as many people have found there are no warehouses full of parts laying around.
Sadly, Tesla does make lots of components that require replacement rather than repair. The Service ethos is to limit the time each vehicle spends in the Service department, so they don't really repair things but rather replace them. Not terribly green, I know, but the facts of Tesla Service.

This has nothing to do with gambling

Actually, yes it does. It has everything to do with it, in fact. I am not saying people dont gamble, lots of people do. By purchasing an extended warranty, you are wagering X,XXX dollars spent NOW on the gamble that you will have more than X,XXX dollars spent later, in breakdowns.

All warranties / Insurance are financial gambles, based on risk tolerance, and ability or not to absorb what happens if you hit snake eyes or not.