Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just be clear, extended warranties are not warranties. They are insurance, plain and simple. You should only purchase insurance if you fear significant risk of a problem you are unable to afford.
Remember that an extended warranty is a form of insurance. On average, insurance is not worth the cost, or it wouldn't be offered. It only makes sense to purchase it if you can't afford to pay for something it covers.

Wow, we think alike and express ourselves alike. I didn't see your post, promise.

Over the course of your life, you will pay much more in premiums than you will collect. It's very unlikely you would pay less. So it's a gamble, and the house wins, even if sometimes the player wins.
Tangentially, I think the player won in my case. Our house burned down (insurance paid for replacement) and my wife had a brain tumor (removed, insurance paid ALL, all good). So, if you can call that winning ...

Wow, we think alike and express ourselves alike. I didn't see your post, promise.

Tangentially, I think the player won in my case. Our house burned down (insurance paid for replacement) and my wife had a brain tumor (removed, insurance paid ALL, all good). So, if you can call that winning ...
Right. House fires, expensive medical diseases -- for many people insurance is definitely a right choice to cover those. Even though you will on average lose money because you might not be able to bear that cost at all. The cost of paying a $1000 deductible we can all handle just fine, probably, if we own expensive cars.

Reactions: vickh and ucmndd
Right. House fires, expensive medical diseases -- for many people insurance is definitely a right choice to cover those. Even though you will on average lose money because you might not be able to bear that cost at all. The cost of paying a $1000 deductible we can all handle just fine, probably, if we own expensive cars.

Totally. Insurance absolutely has its place. If the outcome could be catastrophic, even if the odds are quite low, insurance is a great investment.

Relatively wealthy people blowing money on peace of mind for automobiles? Not a great use case. Plenty of rich people are bad at math though, so the business model holds up.

Reactions: vickh
This is one of those topics (vehicle extended warranties) that springs up on virtually every car message board (at least, every one I have ever participated in / read).

I had more typed here, but realized that its all the same stuff that had already been said in this thread. My warranty on my model 3 runs out the beginning of december this year (so a couple weeks). I have a "end of warranty inspection" that I scheduled with Tesla. I am not sure if they are going to charge me for this inspection, but I am expecting to be charged for it unless they find something that needs to be fixed.

I do not plan on buying an extended warranty. I am going to set aside the money I would pay for the warranty in my savings account in my bank, and pull from that to make any repairs.

The car has been pretty good to me so far (knock on wood). Its somewhat noisy to drive, and I have had to replace a couple of rims, but other than that its been pretty good. Hopefully that continues.

Reactions: ODWms
Others have been charged for this. Tesla has a conflict of interest, but I think they will be honest, and it's a good idea.
What sort of charge? My warranty ends shortly too. This could be worth it though the car has run generally without problem though it has a few rattles etc. And the roof cracked due to a pine cone falling on it, which frankly seems a bit fragile but probably not under warranty. The quarter window also cracked under a thief's hammer, warranty didn't cover that. They did replace a plug on the TMC that I bought.

What sort of charge? My warranty ends shortly too. This could be worth it though the car has run generally without problem though it has a few rattles etc. And the roof cracked due to a pine cone falling on it, which frankly seems a bit fragile but probably not under warranty. The quarter window also cracked under a thief's hammer, warranty didn't cover that. They did replace a plug on the TMC that I bought.

Ill tell you how it goes for me. My appointment is this wednesday (yes the day before thanksgiving, lol).

My 2018 LR Model 3 warranty expires Dec 1st and I'm a bit concerned about owning the car without warranty coverage because of how expensive repairs can be. Has anyone gotten an extended warranty for their Model 3? I know Tesla doesn't offer it.
Did you make a decision on the warranty? I am in the same boat with a Model 3 coming off Tesla's warranty soon. I am thinking about the warranty expecting any issues and repairs to be relatively expensive otherwise. Has anyone used this Xcelerate Auto company's warranty?

Has anyone used this Xcelerate Auto company's warranty?

There is a 7 page thread on feedback on the company in the model S subforum. I am sure there are other threads too. I believe that the general consensus from people here is that it works how you would expect an extended warranty to work, and those that have purchased and used it seem to report very good experiences.

You can search TMC for Xcare or x-care to find more if you want. I dont own it myself, but if I was going to buy an extended warranty, they would be the one I would contact.

Reactions: vickh
Did you make a decision on the warranty? I am in the same boat with a Model 3 coming off Tesla's warranty soon. I am thinking about the warranty expecting any issues and repairs to be relatively expensive otherwise. Has anyone used this Xcelerate Auto company's warranty?
To repeat the message from above, the company selling the extended warranty has studied the sort of repairs that people actually need, and priced the insurance to be twice as expensive. You might "win out" and gain more than the warranty than you pay for it over just a few years, but over the course of all the cars in your life you buy these warranties for, you are all but assured to pay more for the warranties than the repairs -- much more. You would have to be a real outlier in repair needs for this not to be true over your life.

The insurance companies pays for your repairs, and they pay for all their staff, and a fat commission for the party who sells you the insurance, and a nice corporate profit for the shareholders.

Google around, you will find tons of articles explaining why you don't want one, here's an example -- The truth about extended warranties, and what to do instead -- but beware of any article that is trying to sell you a warranty, of course.

Last edited:
To repeat the message from above, the company selling the extended warranty has studied the sort of repairs that people actually need, and priced the insurance to be twice as expensive. You might "win out" and gain more than the warranty than you pay for it over just a few years, but over the course of all the cars in your life you buy these warranties for, you are all but assured to pay more for the warranties than the repairs -- much more. You would have to be a real outlier in repair needs for this not to be true over your life.

The insurance companies pays for your repairs, and they pay for all their staff, and a fat commission for the party who sells you the insurance, and a nice corporate profit for the shareholders.

Google around, you will find tons of articles explaining why you don't want one, here's an example -- The truth about extended warranties, and what to do instead -- but beware of any article that is trying to sell you a warranty, of course.

they can't really study Model 3 repairs with stat. significance yet.. Maybe S and Y. It's all about probability

they can't really study Model 3 repairs with stat. significance yet.. Maybe S and Y. It's all about probability
They don't sell an extended warranty unless they feel quite confident that it will make money. They may have incomplete data but all that means is they raise the price to assure they at least make something if they predict wrong. The house is not in the business of gambling. They will work from the data they have.

To be fair the power train battery is already covered by a long warranty period from Tesla. And I doubt any other vehicle warranty covers the 12 volt battery, kind of like tires, but I could be wrong. But at this point I'm probably not going to get an extended warranty, only because my funds are a bit short this time of year and especially this year. I doubt my car will have computer or display issues, I mean because most home computers are pretty solid now a days, so the ones in my car should be too.