Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This train of thought is not much different than playing slot machines and thinking "why stop now, I am bound to hit it soon, right?"

Advocating to guaranteed spend now, because you "might" have spend later, is usually not a winning strategy, but hey if it works for you, you do you.
Let me ask you this? Why do they warrant it for 4 years? Hyundai (which I can't speak for their durability) offers 6 years. I asked a guy at the service center who had a model 3 what he's gonna do after 4 years is up. His response. Trade it in.

Actually, yes it does. It has everything to do with it, in fact. I am not saying people dont gamble, lots of people do. By purchasing an extended warranty, you are wagering X,XXX dollars spent NOW on the gamble that you will have more than X,XXX dollars spent later, in breakdowns.

All warranties / Insurance are financial gambles, based on risk tolerance, and ability or not to absorb what happens if you hit snake eyes or not.
Big difference with gambling. The house ALWAYS wins. Same way all these folks on TV saying they got the winning megamillions ticket.
In addition I went with XCARE for 2 years. Cheaper than Tesla AND if I sell privately I can pass the policy on to the buyer for $50.

Big difference with gambling. The house ALWAYS wins. Same way all these folks on TV saying they got the winning megamillions ticket.
No, there is no difference here. People hit the slot machines, people win at blackjack, but the house always wins as you said. Its the exact same thing here.

Anyway, as I said earlier, you do you.

In addition I went with XCARE for 2 years. Cheaper than Tesla AND if I sell privately I can pass the policy on to the buyer for $50.

You can transfer TSLA warranty too. I'm in my 60 day "free" trial period and might switch to XCare if they are MUCH cheaper for my '19 3?

You can transfer TSLA warranty too. I'm in my 60 day "free" trial period and might switch to XCare if they are MUCH cheaper for my '19 3?
For the 2 year/25k warranty extension you can go either way, Tesla ESA or XCare. Where XCare really pulls ahead is the longer terms, higher miles coverages and the inclusion of Battery and Drive Unit coverage with XCare Premium. We also offer a standalone Battery and Drive Unit coverage, that is especially advantageous for very heavy users (Uber/Lyft). Cheers! Brent @ XCare

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Gambling is playing the odds. Warranties and insurance are playing the odds. It's exactly the same thing. Exactly. The only difference is venue.

If you think Tesla (the House) hasn't done research to figure out how to come out on top then I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe YOU and a few individuals may have it pay off, but the majority of people will not. Tesla is not going to offer extended warranties at a net loss for the company, any more than an insurance company will set premiums to lose money.

Reactions: XPsionic
For the 2 year/25k warranty extension you can go either way, Tesla ESA or XCare. Where XCare really pulls ahead is the longer terms, higher miles coverages and the inclusion of Battery and Drive Unit coverage with XCare Premium. We also offer a standalone Battery and Drive Unit coverage, that is especially advantageous for very heavy users (Uber/Lyft). Cheers! Brent @ XCare

are any of the terms better ? I like TSLA's prorated refund (-claims) offer. Esp full within 60 days so I have till 8/29 to get all the $ back
XCare offers Trip Interruption, which pays up to $200/day for up to 5 days for expenses if you have a breakdown more than 100 miles from home.
We also offer rental car participation ($40-50 per day) for up to 5 days.
Like the ESA, we also allow for transfer or prorated refund at any time during your coverage period.

Thanks for the opportunity to help! Brent @ XCare

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Gambling is playing the odds. Warranties and insurance are playing the odds. It's exactly the same thing. Exactly. The only difference is venue.

If you think Tesla (the House) hasn't done research to figure out how to come out on top then I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe YOU and a few individuals may have it pay off, but the majority of people will not. Tesla is not going to offer extended warranties at a net loss for the company, any more than an insurance company will set premiums to lose money.
What you're buying with warranties/insurance is peace of mind.

It's a transfer of risk. Of course Tesla will make out on it, they wouldn't offer it to lose money, the same with insurance companies. I've had 2 extended warranties, one paid for itself and a little more, the second I didn't use at all. The only reason I got one a second time was because it worked the first time.

I'm honestly undecided on the Tesla one, but leaning towards v"no". The "bet" is that you'll spend over $1800 ($2000 for Y) in the 2yr/25kmi after your warranty runs out. To me, that's an extremely limited window where it's even applicable. If it was an additional 4yr/50k, that might be something I'd consider.

But what are the odds your car will need 1800 worth of warranty work between year 4 and 6 or 50-75kmi? They seem slim to me.

What you're buying with warranties/insurance is peace of mind.

It's a transfer of risk. Of course Tesla will make out on it, they wouldn't offer it to lose money, the same with insurance companies. I've had 2 extended warranties, one paid for itself and a little more, the second I didn't use at all. The only reason I got one a second time was because it worked the first time.

I'm honestly undecided on the Tesla one, but leaning towards v"no". The "bet" is that you'll spend over $1800 ($2000 for Y) in the 2yr/25kmi after your warranty runs out. To me, that's an extremely limited window where it's even applicable. If it was an additional 4yr/50k, that might be something I'd consider.

But what are the odds your car will need 1800 worth of warranty work between year 4 and 6 or 50-75kmi? They seem slim to me.
XCare offers 4 year plan