Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 FSD Upgrade pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 (early 2018 delivery) Model 3 with EAP. And from the app, I can see that I can purchase the FSD upgrade for $4000. But I am confused with all these news about a $1000 price increase for FSD option, is this price increase supposed to be for the new car purchase and is the upgrade also going to be increased? All the news I read seem to be pointing a $7000 price tag which is not correlating with the upgrade price shown in my Tesla APP.

TIA for any info,

...$1000 price increase for FSD option, is this price increase supposed to be for the new car purchase and is the upgrade also going to be increased?

FSD price will be increased from $7,000 to $8,000 or $1,000 increase. You are correct that it's for current car prices for plain Autopilot without EAP.

The announced $1,000 increase is for FSD upgrade and it doesn't specify that it is only restricted to non-EAP and it does not say those who have EAP would be exempted from the $1,000 FSD increase.

I have a 2017 (early 2018 delivery) Model 3 with EAP. And from the app, I can see that I can purchase the FSD upgrade for $4000. But I am confused with all these news about a $1000 price increase for FSD option, is this price increase supposed to be for the new car purchase and is the upgrade also going to be increased? All the news I read seem to be pointing a $7000 price tag which is not correlating with the upgrade price shown in my Tesla APP.

TIA for any info,

So right now - cars that came with EAP can upgrade to FSD for $4,000 via the app. Will that increase to $5,000? Nobody knows but my Magic 8-ball says "All signs point to yes."

The $7k price you see right now (going up to $8k) is for cars with just "base" Autopilot.

My personal feeling, if you want the FSD package.... I don't see a price decrease anytime on the horizon. So if the $4k is acceptable to you, I'd jump on it before July 1st.

Thanks for your replies.
I am tempted to jump in as I do plan to keep the car for another 6-7 years and is hopeful that we will have most if not full FSD features in another 24 months. $4k is a small price to pay if I can reduce commute stress and in the meantime can get some incremental features which is not in the AP v2.5 HW.

Do you know how long it takes to get the AP3.0 HW upgrade after I paid for the upgrade?

Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks for your replies.
I am tempted to jump in as I do plan to keep the car for another 6-7 years and is hopeful that we will have most if not full FSD features in another 24 months. $4k is a small price to pay if I can reduce commute stress and in the meantime can get some incremental features which is not in the AP v2.5 HW.

Do you know how long it takes to get the AP3.0 HW upgrade after I paid for the upgrade?

Once you have the upgrade and see it in your car's settings (click on the Car icon -> Software and see if it lists Full-Self Driving)... you can then open a service case via the Tesla app to request the upgrade. Lately, it seems they're scheduling pretty quickly.

For me, in the way I use the car, being able to change lanes with just a click of the blinker stalk alone is worth the price of admission.

Once you have the upgrade and see it in your car's settings (click on the Car icon -> Software and see if it lists Full-Self Driving)... you can then open a service case via the Tesla app to request the upgrade. Lately, it seems they're scheduling pretty quickly.

For me, in the way I use the car, being able to change lanes with just a click of the blinker stalk alone is worth the price of admission.

Thanks for the info. Since I have EAP, I am already able to change lane while AP is enabled. (Or is this possible even without AP engagement?)

Reactions: dmurphy
Thanks for the info. Since I have EAP, I am already able to change lane while AP is enabled. (Or is this possible even without AP engagement?)

Ah yes, forgot you have EAP! Sorry about that. You are right - only with AP engagement.

In that case, the immediate tangible benefits to FSD for you are less. Mostly just visualizing and stopping at stop signs and traffic lights. But I do expect that to change, and change somewhat rapidly over the next 18-24 months or so.

I read about Elon's tweet for FSD upgrade for $2,000 for people who purchased the car before Jan 2019 and a complicated flow chart showing that there is hardly any upgrades for someone who has EAP from Dec 2018. Upgrades being - recognizing stop sign &traffic lights and Advanced Summon. Is that still an option. How does one take advantage of that?

I read about Elon's tweet for FSD upgrade for $2,000 for people who purchased the car before Jan 2019 and a complicated flow chart showing that there is hardly any upgrades for someone who has EAP from Dec 2018. Upgrades being - recognizing stop sign &traffic lights and Advanced Summon. Is that still an option. How does one take advantage of that?

That was from last year, and you dont take advantage of it.. that time has long since passed, and was only a 3-4 week timeframe back in march / april of 2019 (which I am sure is around the timeframe of the information you are seeing about this).

Just checked my App - I can upgrade my 2018 M3 from EAP to FSD for $3k until July 1st. Very tempting, to provide some computational breathing room via the new computer. Hmmm.
I am also contemplating now. Risk $3000 for FSD which may never come or pay more (likely $3000-4000 more as a guess if FSD becomes a reality in the next 2-3 years). Hmmmm...

Hi, I have European 2018 MS with EAP. The funny thing is that all the FSD features are enabled, which are available in Europe, like Navigate on autopilot.

I got an email that I can get upgrade to FSD for 2000€.

i don’t understand if they are going to switch the fsd features off for me? And I also don’t understand why, when I go to the app, the price of upgrade rises to 3000$...

Anyone has this experience?

Hi, I have European 2018 MS with EAP. The funny thing is that all the FSD features are enabled, which are available in Europe, like Navigate on autopilot.

I got an email that I can get upgrade to FSD for 2000€.

i don’t understand if they are going to switch the fsd features off for me? And I also don’t understand why, when I go to the app, the price of upgrade rises to 3000$...

Anyone has this experience?

EAP is supposed to have NOA and Smart Summon. They will not switch them off. And that's also why it is only $3000 to upgrade now from EAP to FSD. If you only have basic AP, it should be more expensive. Upgrading now is more a bet that "real" FSD will come eventually; the only short term extra feature will be the city street autosteer and traffic light which are not in EAP AFAIK.

I am very tempted to upgrade now. Maybe just the faster CPU is enough reason to upgrade.

Just pulled the trigger and paid for the upgrade. Got the confirmation email and it said to wait for the FSD software upgrade to be downloaded?

Anyone knows what’s next? Do I have to contact the service center to set up an appointment for the HW3.0 upgrade?

Just pulled the trigger and paid for the upgrade. Got the confirmation email and it said to wait for the FSD software upgrade to be downloaded?

Anyone knows what’s next? Do I have to contact the service center to set up an appointment for the HW3.0 upgrade?

Yes, schedule an appointment for the upgrade through the app. If they have the part available they will accept the appointment. If they don’t they will let you know that the part is not available for your car yet. Sometimes you have to try more than once as you may get a different answer depending on who the service tech responding is.

Yes, schedule an appointment for the upgrade through the app. If they have the part available they will accept the appointment. If they don’t they will let you know that the part is not available for your car yet. Sometimes you have to try more than once as you may get a different answer depending on who the service tech responding is.

Got it. Thanks!