Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 half-dead after coming back from vacation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been away for a month and left my model 3 at home plugged in. The first 3 weeks seemed ok as I was checking the car remotely with the app and it was responding, but on 6/27 the app stopped working when trying to connect to the car. When I got back home I was able to get into the car, but the screen is black and driving doesn't work. All the buttons and stalk don't do anything.

The car will open/lock with keycard, the windows work, the front lights and break lights work, I can unlock the charging port, but everything else is dead. I tried to reset the console by holding down the scroll wheels, with and without break pedal, but nothing happens.

I updated the car remotely while I was away a few times, with the last version on my phone showing as 2020.20.12.

I am in a bit of a pickle as I am scheduled to have my car upgraded to HW3.0 on 7/2. So not being able to drive it may impact that event.

I will be opening a service ticket, but was curious to know if anyone else had experienced anything like this.

Do you hear the HV contactors engage when you open the door? This is the usual heavy "clunk clunk" noise near the back.

It sounds like it's behaving like it has 12V but only sort of. Something isn't right. As a precaution, stop doing anything with it. If the 12V battery dies you will have a bigger headache. Check its voltage if you're curious.

This definitely sounds like a service thing.

Regarding the hard reset procedure, Tesla doesn't want owners doing it. It seems generally harmless but I wouldn't bother with it in this case if you're within warranty anyways. An undriveable vehicle is normally serviced more urgently.

Reactions: C141medic
I got in my Model 3 this morning for a coffee run and was greeted by a blank screen. So I did The 2 button reset. While waiting for the Tesla logo to appear I noticed For the first that I could put the the car in drive even with the blank screen and still no reboot. I drove the car out of the Garage, got out to push the keypad On the house to close garage door And got back in the car. Still no display. By this time I’m thinking that the ability to drive the car with out the display must be coded into the software. I put the car in drive and start out of the driveway and the Tesla logo pops up on the screen indicating the reboot. The screen comes on. Off I go.

Reactions: SlimJim
Warranty wise, id just try it. Its already messed up and all your doing is disconnecting the 12v batt and unplugging something for 1 min. Its not like you are splicing anything in or even replacing anything with aftermarket. Anything beyond that I would just wait for tesla.
If it doesnt work and they ask just play dumb. ive dont the reset a few times, its not like there is a void sticker on the plug.

I got in my Model 3 this morning for a coffee run and was greeted by a blank screen. So I did The 2 button reset. While waiting for the Tesla logo to appear I noticed For the first that I could put the the car in drive even with the blank screen and still no reboot. I drove the car out of the Garage, got out to push the keypad On the house to close garage door And got back in the car. Still no display. By this time I’m thinking that the ability to drive the car with out the display must be coded into the software. I put the car in drive and start out of the driveway and the Tesla logo pops up on the screen indicating the reboot. The screen comes on. Off I go.

I've done the two button reset while driving on the highway. It continues to operate perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: Dogtone
If you have to drive to take it in, I'd try downloading the AutoMate app, and seeing if it will act as a mirror of your display. I have the app, and it mirrors the display, but I don't know if it'll do it when the display is blank. I'm guessing it will, since it's not physically mirroring the central display, but using the data and displaying a facsimile.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
If you have to drive to take it in, I'd try downloading the AutoMate app, and seeing if it will act as a mirror of your display. I have the app, and it mirrors the display, but I don't know if it'll do it when the display is blank. I'm guessing it will, since it's not physically mirroring the central display, but using the data and displaying a facsimile.

I can't find a reference to this due to the generic term in the name. What is this? I've never heard of it. Intrigued. iOS? Android?

If it's just using the data via the Tesla API but mimicking the screen with that data, I don't think it'll work (since OP says the app isn't connecting to the car, which uses the same API).

I've had this happen before. Previously if was when they changed the Bluetooth sensing on the car for entry.

• Informative
Reactions: Dogtone
If you can charge the 12v back up it might go away or may still need a reset. I accidentally ran my 12v down working on the car and got that warning, charge it back up to 12.4 or so and it either went away or I still had to reset. Either way that was months ago and its been fine. I wouldn’t drive it and minimally mess with it unless you have a volt meter and a way to charge the 12v.

I can't find a reference to this due to the generic term in the name. What is this? I've never heard of it. Intrigued. iOS? Android?

If it's just using the data via the Tesla API but mimicking the screen with that data, I don't think it'll work (since OP says the app isn't connecting to the car, which uses the same API).
It wasn't generic, since I capitalized both the "A" and the "M", as the developer does.

"AutoMate for Tesla" on iOS. Have no idea if they make one for Android.

AutoMate is just another app like RemoteS. It doesn’t ‘mirror’ anything, just does many of the available remote functions. If the car isn’t responding, not going to be of much help. Meaning, if your Tesla phone app isn’t working, no other phone app is going to work either.

Reactions: KenC
AutoMate is just another app like RemoteS. It doesn’t ‘mirror’ anything, just does many of the available remote functions. If the car isn’t responding, not going to be of much help. Meaning, if your Tesla phone app isn’t working, no other phone app is going to work either.

"since it's not physically mirroring the central display, but using the data and displaying a facsimile."
Guess, I wasn't clear enough.

We just had our 12V battery replaced in our 8/2018 Model 3. Similar symptoms, though with the addition of misbehaving window lifts and a load whine that continued for a number of days. Scheduled an appointment for about 2 weeks in the future. My wife got tired of hearing it doing who knows what and braved the drive to the Service Center. They fixed it in an hour. Depending on how nice your Service Center is, give it a try.