Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Has Different Range Per Region

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so maybe that title is a little bit confusing so let me clarify what I mean. If you take a look at the Model 3 ordering pages of different nations, you'll find that the range of each Model 3 keeps changing.

I'll list here some examples of what I mean and I'll attach some screenshots:

Model 3 Standard Range Plus:

USA: 240mi range = 386km range
Norway: 415km range
China: 460km range

Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor:
USA: 310mi range = 499km range
Norway: 560km range
China: 590km range

Also, note that a RWD Long Range in China goes over 600km.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
Are they producing better batteries for those nations?
Is it something related to the weather in that part of the world?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.17.01 PM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.17.01 PM .png
    530.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.17.25 PM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.17.25 PM .png
    524.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.18.10 PM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.18.10 PM .png
    536.9 KB · Views: 32
...Is there something obvious that I'm missing?...

If I use EU miles, I would run out of miles real fast in the USA.

...Are they producing better batteries for those nations?...

It's more like better driving habits to conserve energy.

...Is it something related to the weather in that part of the world?

I don't think so. Norway has harsher cold winter than most parts in USA.

Various regions have different range tests that by law they have to be posted based on those standards. Very googleable.

One example How To Calculate Conflicting EV Range Test Cycles: EPA, WLTP, NEDC

Right, so, if I was in China and ordered a Model 3 that I was told would go over 600km, can I expect it to not actually get near that figure? How can there be such a huge difference in range when there's no difference between the car sold in China than the one sold in the USA. As for the range remaining that the car shows on the screen, at a 100% charge, would it show 600+km range?

Right, so, if I was in China and ordered a Model 3 that I was told would go over 600km, can I expect it to not actually get near that figure? How can there be such a huge difference in range when there's no difference between the car sold in China than the one sold in the USA. As for the range remaining that the car shows on the screen, at a 100% charge, would it show 600+km range?
Tesla deals with these regulatory differences by giving the user the choice of which range rating to use. In Europe, where the NEDC test is used and is overly optimistic, Tesla adds a choice called "Typical" which is closer to the US range figure and more realistic.

Tesla deals with these regulatory differences by giving the user the choice of which range rating to use. In Europe, where the NEDC test is used and is overly optimistic, Tesla adds a choice called "Typical" which is closer to the US range figure and more realistic.
Europe no longer uses the NEDC. They now use the WLTP. Better, but still not quite up to EPA standards.