Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 headlight tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1F38E48A-DF86-4F9B-9597-3F85973154D7.jpeg
F05BFA61-D59C-4C52-95BB-6DBE205FD97F.jpeg
AB56AD2E-338E-4361-A762-5A602BEC1487.jpeg
hey guys.. for those of you that have tinted your front headlights.. wanted to ask if it’s normal to see this type of haze/horizontal beam pattern through the tint as I’ve pictured above.

I never had headlights tinted before, but just wanted to see if this was normal. It’s the lightest tint they have. But the way the light beams pass through the tint, makes it appear rather hazy, or have that old headlamp oxidized appearance. Normal? Or just not the right tint? Recommendations otherwise?

Thanks for your help!

3BE7B49B-7B21-492E-B02E-5339EB5EBA74.jpeg
263A97F6-72C0-4772-9F02-DDC98230CC59.jpeg
3D8F08D5-F7F4-418E-82A7-D1E25102A455.jpeg
C2B35FCA-0666-4D0C-A469-3F3A68CCA16B.png
179FBF2D-542C-48FE-9A7F-53C2108251FF.png
View attachment 446927
no idea.. but why tint the headlights at all? I understand PPF, but dont understand tinting them, especially if one is then going to wonder about light throw / pattern / intensity....

Overall.. i personally like the subtle tint as it goes well with chrome delete, black rims, darker tint on rear lights, etc., but I just didn’t think it would make the pattern it does when the lights are turned on. I didn’t want to go too dark on front headlights obviously, but did go with darker charcoal tint on rears.

Anyhow, just wanted to hear from others who have tinted or smoked out there lights.

So far, did chrome delete, tinted windows, T sport line lowering springs, T sport line rims, painted calipers, tinted front/rear lights, lighted rear T logo, rear spacers, and UP front bumper.

no idea.. but why tint the headlights at all? I understand PPF, but dont understand tinting them, especially if one is then going to wonder about light throw / pattern / intensity....

With car popularity, comes the modding scene that doesn't care about laws or safety. Every time someone posts pictures about their headlight, taillight, or windshield tints, they claim they still have full visibility without actually testing % visibility in all conditions (day/night + fog, rain, snow, etc) or correct light patterns

Hope you are never involved in an accident. If you ever get in an accident, your insurance may deny you coverage or hold you liable due to reduced headlight, taillight, and/or windshield visibility. If you're dealing with another insurance company, they might actually sue you (and your insurance might not back you) if you were the cause of the accident (no matter if it was because of the tints themselves). If someone hit your parked car from the rear, they could claim that they couldn't see the reflectors of your taillights due to the tinting.

OP, you should read this thread: To the people that lambasted me for tinting headlights (and windshield)... : teslamotors

On top of all that, now you are a prime target for cops. Good luck doing any speed over the speed limit, they're going to nail you for everything.

I can already guess what a cop will nail you with:
- Tinted headlights
- Tinted taillights
- Tinted windshield
- Missing front plate
- Missing front HOV lane sticker (and rear left side sticker also if you dont have it on)

Last edited:
Reactions: Resist and Brnn
I disagree with the windshield tint comment. Wincos and other brands offer clear films designed for windshields that will not obstruct view/vision and offer INSANE clarity.

You can clearly tell the OP tinted his windshield with some sort of darker tint. If its truly clear, then I would have no issue with it either.

However, if a cop decides to test it and it fails, you'll be told to get it fixed or pay the price. If the only thing you have is a slight tinted windshield and no front plate, cops likely will leave you alone. Once you start tinting lights, its game over

Reactions: Resist
Ive said this before but it seems that the civic crowd with the big wings and flashy colors have migrated over to the model 3's.

- Tinted tail-lights: just waiting for someone to report being rear ended and being found at fault for having tinted tail lights.
- Tinted Headlights: Just waiting for someone to report rear ending someone or even worse cause you literally have reduced your outward lumens to at least 20% if not more.

But hey, its a free country and you are allowed to do stuff like this with no recourse except Darwin's law will still apply.

Reactions: Kandiru
Ive said this before but it seems that the civic crowd with the big wings and flashy colors have migrated over to the model 3's.

- Tinted tail-lights: just waiting for someone to report being rear ended and being found at fault for having tinted tail lights.
- Tinted Headlights: Just waiting for someone to report rear ending someone or even worse cause you literally have reduced your outward lumens to at least 20% if not more.

But hey, its a free country and you are allowed to do stuff like this with no recourse except Darwin's law will still apply.

Just wait a few years when used model 3s will be 20k or less. Right now its still limited to those with decent income and those people have more sense, most of the time ;)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 03DSG
You can clearly tell the OP tinted his windshield with some sort of darker tint. If its truly clear, then I would have no issue with it either.

However, if a cop decides to test it and it fails, you'll be told to get it fixed or pay the price. If the only thing you have is a slight tinted windshield and no front plate, cops likely will leave you alone. Once you start tinting lights, its game over

Yes the front windshield was tinted with 70% 3M crystalline. That’s what almost every model 3 gets at T Sportline. Can hardly tell there’s any tint at all on front windshield. Supposed to cut down on heat/etc, not reduce visibility through windshield. The side windows/rear/roof all have 40% 3M crystalline tint.

Reactions: XLR82XS
With car popularity, comes the modding scene that doesn't care about laws or safety. Every time someone posts pictures about their headlight, taillight, or windshield tints, they claim they still have full visibility without actually testing % visibility in all conditions (day/night + fog, rain, snow, etc) or correct light patterns

Hope you are never involved in an accident. If you ever get in an accident, your insurance may deny you coverage or hold you liable due to reduced headlight, taillight, and/or windshield visibility. If you're dealing with another insurance company, they might actually sue you (and your insurance might not back you) if you were the cause of the accident (no matter if it was because of the tints themselves). If someone hit your parked car from the rear, they could claim that they couldn't see the reflectors of your taillights due to the tinting.

OP, you should read this thread: To the people that lambasted me for tinting headlights (and windshield)... : teslamotors

On top of all that, now you are a prime target for cops. Good luck doing any speed over the speed limit, they're going to nail you for everything.

I can already guess what a cop will nail you with:
- Tinted headlights
- Tinted taillights
- Tinted windshield
- Missing front plate
- Missing front HOV lane sticker (and rear left side sticker also if you dont have it on)

Super helpful answer to the OP’s inquiry........ Just what he was looking for I’m sure

View attachment 446911 View attachment 446912 View attachment 446910 hey guys.. for those of you that have tinted your front headlights.. wanted to ask if it’s normal to see this type of haze/horizontal beam pattern through the tint as I’ve pictured above.

I never had headlights tinted before, but just wanted to see if this was normal. It’s the lightest tint they have. But the way the light beams pass through the tint, makes it appear rather hazy, or have that old headlamp oxidized appearance. Normal? Or just not the right tint? Recommendations otherwise?

Thanks for your help!

If you just had the headlight film installed recently and it’s a quality film than this is just residual moisture from the wet install. Virtually impossible to squeegee it all out. It can take up to a month or even longer for this to completely disappear.

By the way your car looks awesome!

Last edited:
Super helpful answer to the OP’s inquiry........ Just what he was looking for I’m sure

If you just had the headlight film installed recently and it’s a quality film than this is just residual moisture from the wet install. Virtually impossible to squeegee it all out. It can take up to a month or even longer for this to completely disappear.

By the way your car looks awesome!

Hey thanks! Yeah pretty harsh crowd sometimes, but was hoping to hear from fellow Tesla owners who have tinted their headlights.

I’ll wait a month or so then to see if it improves after all the moisture gets out as you said. I didn’t think about residual moisture. Appreciate your help.

View attachment 446911 View attachment 446912 View attachment 446910 hey guys.. for those of you that have tinted your front headlights.. wanted to ask if it’s normal to see this type of haze/horizontal beam pattern through the tint as I’ve pictured above.

Thanks for your help!
What kind of tint did you use? How dark was it? I’m considering doing the same with my white Tesla model 3

I personally like the darker look of the tail and headlights. Does it really make that much difference in visibility though? I can't imagine it does with a bright light behind it.
Let's say one installed 50% tint on the taillights. That's 50% less light and it may look bright enough to someone standing right behind it, EV but light intensity reduces at the square of distance. I would never consider tinting my lights...

I am not likely to either - not with my lousy night vision. I actually have some concerns tinting the windshield beyond factory as well. Someone said it looked trashy though and my response was I like the look. Practically for me however, it's not a fit.

Similar to the the ones filling their lungs and interiors with dirt they grind up on the all weather mats.