Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland live now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I watched the reveal video done in Norway, listening to a twerp gush about the new car. I wonder if this magical car has the 12v battery problem solved, and the phantom braking issue that’s under NHTSA investigation fixed. There is no way Id buy this car!

I watched the reveal video done in Norway, listening to a twerp gush about the new car. I wonder if this magical car has the 12v battery problem solved, and the phantom braking issue that’s under NHTSA investigation fixed. There is no way Id buy this car!

As someone else answered, the 12V battery thing is no longer an issue, but Phantom braking on TACC is still annoying as hell for me. Just please give me a dumb cruise control option.

Reactions: pikeman
Or do you stab blindly at the screen while you trying to avoid an oncoming vehicle.

What about the Brake pedal??

Also upper console where the overhead cabin lights are top of windscreen will have the PRND selector buttons

But if unable to see the touchscreen, then might not be able to see RND button on the upper console. In that case Id suggest its not the car...;

Last edited:
Where is the emergency brake now that the button on the end of the RH stalk is no more?

From the Owner's Manual

⚠️CAUTION
In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the overhead console or touchscreen to bring Model 3 to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.

Screenshot_20230914-112220.png

I also saw a few demonstrator models in inventory recently also. Guess there gearing up for highland test drives RSN (real soon now, in Australia specifically).

Where is the emergency brake now that the button on the end of the RH stalk is no more? Or do you stab blindly at the screen while you trying to avoid an oncoming vehicle.
Hmmm… Do cars really have “emergency” brakes anymore? I think “parking” brakes have been the standard for many decades. Yes, parking brakes can indeed be used in an emergency, though I think that very few drivers would think to use them in a panic situation. Besides, don’t all cars have diagonally separate hydraulic brake lines so that if one brake line fails, at least 2 wheels can still brake and stop the car?

Reactions: dronus
That’s my understanding too. Sometimes a handbrake is referred to as a ‘e-brake’ as it is cable operated and can operate in a hydraulic failure emergency.
I just tried the hand/e/brake on my 2018 Calais. Its a little electronic switch. It wont engage if the car is going over (maybe) 5kmh. Its hard to get an exact number rolling around the carpark avoiding things/people.. Either way, it would be useless as an emergency brake of my normal brakes fail, id be jamming it in low or aiming for a pillow factory.

In a work car (toyota fortuna) it has a pull up handbrake handle like an old school one, in the name of science i tried ripping it up while going down south road under anzac highway, it didnt do anything apart from the dash lighting up basically telling me doing that isnt advised, and played a stupid tune that i now cant get out of my head. Serves me right i guess.

If my memory serves me correct, in my 86 VL Turbo it was a completey different story... especially when going around corners.. haha.

Can someone with a model 3 try pressing the park button on the stalk while driving and see what happens? If hope it wouldn't lock the brakes up, that would be nasty... and if it doesn't, this whole line is a bit moot ;)

Ohh and ive seen the same Black Model Y a couple of times over the past few days getting around. Blacked out everything, ultra dark tint.
Looks wickid!
Also seeing a few Model 3 getting around with very recent plates so i guess people are still getting deliveries of the 2023 model THey also look mint too. Im pretty jealous!

Can someone with a model 3 try pressing the park button on the stalk while driving and see what happens? If hope it wouldn't lock the brakes up, that would be nasty... and if it doesn't, this whole line is a bit moot ;)
The Model 3 manual has this to say:

In emergency situations, if the brakes are not functioning properly, press and hold the Park button on the drive stalk to bring Model 3 to a stop. Do not use this method to stop the vehicle unless absolutely necessary.
I gather this "press and hold" is different from just a normal single press.

Reactions: dronus