Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your M3H 'Stalkless' Driving Experience....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0118.JPG

It seems the single most discussed feature of the Model 3 'Highland' is the lack of stalks. And quite rightly so. I was very unsure about this, but after a lot of consideration, I traded in my Model 3 for the M3H. I have been driving it for the last two days. I had already decided that I would place a red 'dot' sticker over the right-hand turn button. Therefore Red = Right. (in the dark there is just one button illuminated and that is obviously the Left turn button). I have negotiated several double roundabout turns and plenty of motorway and town driving. Even with the wheel at full lock, the red dot is of course highly visible, so hitting either button, even as the steering wheel is moving, is not a problem. I'm actually beginning to prefer the buttons to the stalks. I suspect a lot is muscle memory and I anticipate removing the red dot before too long. The gear shift on the screen is simply not a problem.
It would be interesting to know how others are getting on .....

The car is superb by the way and does feel so much smoother and quieter.

Did a test drive yesterday.

I’ve been looking forward to no stalks! However, seconds into the drive no stalks was a major brain ****. Like literally my hands froze and I didn’t know where to look. (Considering I’ve seen a dozen reviews already.)

Anyways, i agree 100% that in a week maybe two I would love no stalks, and likely prefer them over legacy cars.

However here’s the issue that may result in me cancelling the order. :(

My wife! She’ll drive the M3H 2-3 times a week. She is going to hate no stalks the moment she realizes they’re gone. Since it won’t be here primary car, I can’t imagine her ever really getting the muscle memory. And then when relatives come visit, they’re not going to want to drive it.

I test drove the new car yesterday and am not happy with the lack of a turn signal stalk. I also feel the seat cooling fans are weak, and am not sold on the new front end. However the new suspension is way smoother, the steering feels more natural, and the brake pedal feels more effective. Many other small improvements.

I test drove the new car yesterday and am not happy with the lack of a turn signal stalk. I also feel the seat cooling fans are weak, and am not sold on the new front end. However the new suspension is way smoother, the steering feels more natural, and the brake pedal feels more effective. Many other small improvements.
It’s not perfect perhaps.
But very nice to drive!

Reactions: SQ97
This is a big topic here in Australia. For us it's the Left indicator on exiting roundabouts, which are much more common here in Australia and particularly in Canberra.

I put together a video to demonstrate, I like the idea of the red dot to help those who have trouble adapting.

Reactions: MacTessy
It is not an issue at all.

I haven't missed a single signal indicator since the day I got my car 2 months ago, just use your left hand to press the button if the steering wheel angle demands it. Same as in Jules22's video.

Having stalks doesn't seem to help people use the signals anyways as no one seems to be using them around here, or maybe they are just out of blinker fluid.

The lack of stalks is definitely a non-issue in the US…no driver here has used turn signals in years. Ever. Anywhere. This is exactly why Elon chose to eliminate them and capture the cost savings, just like the passenger lumbar feature which he also noted nobody ever used. Good thing we use doors every now and then or they’d be gone as well.

I’ve done 6100km over 33 days in the 2024 M3H RWD.
Shifting on the screen? Easy.
Autopilot with a press of the scroll wheel? Easy.
Indicating? Still have to take my eyes off the road occasionally to first, position my hand, then make sure my thumb hits the (too small IMO) target and press to indicate.
I’m still developing this skill.

How easy is it to indicate for a lane change (the three quick blinks from moving the turn signal stalk to its first "stop") versus a turn (flashing until cancelled from moving the turn signal stalk to the second "stop")?

I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere when people talk about indicating on a stalkless Tesla.

Reactions: SalisburySam
How easy is it to indicate for a lane change (the three quick blinks from moving the turn signal stalk to its first "stop") versus a turn (flashing until cancelled from moving the turn signal stalk to the second "stop")?

I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere when people talk about indicating on a stalkless Tesla.
I didn’t test it much but I think the blinker stops automatically after changing lanes. Would need another test drive to tell for sure. I was focused more on other things.

Reactions: Red tree frog
I didn’t test it much but I think the blinker stops automatically after changing lanes. Would need another test drive to tell for sure. I was focused more on other things.

They do turn off automatically after changing lane or turning. It seemed really good during my demo ride to the point where I kept accidentally turning the signals back on after making the maneuver because I was instinctively going to turn off the signal myself. I don't believe there is a way to do the traditional "3 blink" lane change signal.

1708025011757.png

• Informative
Reactions: SO16