Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your M3H 'Stalkless' Driving Experience....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ken_neth @E90alex Holy carp (fish), thanks for calling attention to this. Press and hold to turn the high beams back on? Every time? At least turning them off doesn't require holding.

From the manual:
  • Press and hold to turn on high beam headlights - touchscreen displays a brief timer and you must hold for the duration of the timer to latch the high beam headlights to the on position. When headlights are on, press the button a second time to turn them off.
Anyone with a Highland, how long is that button hold timer?

(And no, the auto high beams are not good enough yet to stop caring about manual control, unless the Highland has a new better implementation of them. On our 2021 they've improved with SW updates but still have a habit of obnoxiously flashing on and off at cars ahead or approaching.)

@M42 Fan Many places have turns in the roads, not just perpendicular intersections. 😉 It's still preferable to signal when you're going to slow and turn at an intersection, even if your steering wheel is already turned.
1000074928.jpg

Screen shot from my V2 Commander.

Various situations. In a roundabout. Coming off a coverleaf and having to change lanes to the left. Having to immediately turn or change lanes before current turn is done eg turning left onto a street and immediately right into a shopping center.

Anytime where the wheel is not perfectly straight and your left hand isn’t holding the wheel where the buttons are will require extra cognitive load and often visual confirmation to determine where the relatively small touch point of the turn signal button is. Whereas you can hamfist the turn signal stalk without looking regardless of wheel position.
Makes sense. I can see why hitting a stalk up/down is much easier than trying to push a button on a tilted steering wheel in those scenarios.

I have had my 2024 M3 rwd for almost a month, top button is right, bottom button left separated by raised notch . I do not need to look at the buttons to select. As well if you remember right button for signal is at top of steering wheel very easy. In my city there is only 1 roundabout which I tend to avoid regardless of what I am driving.

Dan

Reactions: Jules22
I'm guessing you've not driven a lot of roundabouts.

Some roundabouts have two or more lanes. Quite common in Europe, and they're increasingly a thing here in the PNW too. The idea is that you take the right most lane if you're exiting at the next right, while you use the inner lane if going straight or taking the third left (at a 4-way roundabout). Signaling is helpful to drivers in the right most lane when it's time to merge over.

Even in a simple one-lane roundabout signaling tells approaching drivers whether you intend to exit or keep going. If people don't signal then you typically have to come to a full stop and wait thus defeating the point of a roundabout which is to enable a continuous flow of traffic.

I for one appreciate the courtesy afforded by other drivers when they signal, and will likewise always signal for others. Traffic here sucks enough already, a little driving etiquette can go a long ways to make it suck less for everyone.
Yes, in a roundabout how most countries do it is that when you are exiting, you hit the blinker direction of the exit indicating that you are exiting and the other direction indicating that you are staying in the circle. In the US, I just blink when about to hit the exit and don't blink when staying in the circle.

Various situations. In a roundabout. Coming off a coverleaf and having to change lanes to the left. Having to immediately turn or change lanes before current turn is done eg turning left onto a street and immediately right into a shopping center.

Anytime where the wheel is not perfectly straight and your left hand isn’t holding the wheel where the buttons are will require extra cognitive load and often visual confirmation to determine where the relatively small touch point of the turn signal button is. Whereas you can hamfist the turn signal stalk without looking regardless of wheel position.
This guy knows ergonomics

Reactions: tm1v2
So then is it demonstrated by the complainants in this thread that many if not most drivers in the world drive in circles for most of their time behind the wheel?

• Funny
Reactions: gt2690b
"complaints" are from those who mostly never tried and a few who may have taken a test drive.

Almost everyone who drives it every day through some of the most rounabout happy cities in the world are not complaining and most of them find it better than stalks.
It’s like telling someone who doesn’t like a particular food: You only tried it once or twice, of course you still don’t like it. What you need to do is force yourself to eat it every single day and eventually you’ll get used to it! You might even end up liking it more than other foods!

It’s like telling someone who doesn’t like a particular food: You only tried it once or twice, of course you still don’t like it. What you need to do is force yourself to eat it every single day and eventually you’ll get used to it! You might even end up liking it more than other foods!
Horrible analogy, nothing like food and most of the complainers haven't tried it.

Reactions: miatadan
I've had my model 3P for 3 years now. When I first got it, I thought the lack of a dash would drive me insane. After three years...

YES, THE LACK OF A DASH IS INSANE!

ahem.

I generally believe you can't really know until you try it. But ... I find a quick trial is usually enough, at least for me. There are things that you know will bug you, and telling someone who has tried to to just keep trying it more is ... obnoxious.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex