Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 hood badge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
For those who've seen the 3 up close (including @e-FTW whose pic is featured below), is the 3's hood T badge recessed into the hood in any way (unlikely, I'd think)?

If not, is it much thinner and smaller (?) than the classic nose S's nose badge (as it appears to be in pics)?

I'm thinking of getting the T removed from my classic nose's front and move it up onto the hood! And, get all of the chrome in the nose blacked out. If the 3's badge is thinner, that may be the better one to use for this purpose. Not unlike the S's alpha look from 2011.

Thoughts?

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG

Reactions: T34ME
Saw one parked in downtown Los Altos yesterday. Wife felt creepy even watching me walk around it 360º style. I would have received a lot of scorn if I had checked/taken picture of VIN. Will have to reserve those forensic investigations for when I am alone ;)

Agreed with @dragonxt ... model 3s are becoming increasingly visible around the Bay Area. Saw one (driving) on Friday on my way to work and then the above parked one Saturday. So two sightings by me in the last 72 hours alone.

The job’s on! This Thursday at Vinyl Styles, San Carlos. One possible kink that Lyle over there pointed out is that the T badge is placed in a slight indentation in the nose cone. So, even with all the chrome blacked out and with the badge moved up to the hood, a second, shadow T may be visible in the nose. He’s thinking of ways to level that out, wrap it and make it invisible. Let’s see...

The idea turned out to be a sorry mess. :( The indented area left behind wasn’t something that could be masked easily. The badge on the hood just didn’t work - the hood’s shape is so different from that of the 3.

39801ADF-A397-4BCC-959B-5FFF816ACF16.jpeg

Went back to the rather straightforward option of bringing back the badge to its original spot; looks clean with all the chrome blacked out:

80A4BB03-9E62-47D5-A5DB-AF0B70FA2BDA.jpeg

The idea turned out to be a sorry mess.

@gg, I applaud you for your initiative and imagination. Have you thought about deleting the "T" entirely and just leaving the subtle indentation in black? I think I would like that look.

I will be deleting the chrome "T" on my model 3 and doing something else on the duckbill. It may turn out to be a sorry mess too, but you never know until you try.

Reactions: e-FTW
@gg, I applaud you for your initiative and imagination. Have you thought about deleting the "T" entirely and just leaving the subtle indentation in black? I think I would like that look.

I will be deleting the chrome "T" on my model 3 and doing something else on the duckbill. It may turn out to be a sorry mess too, but you never know until you try.

:) I do like me some badges so, I did want to have the T emblem intact at the end of the day. Speaking of badges, I'm actually soliciting from Tesla accessory vendors a Model 3 chrome badge for the back of the 3 when I get it: the MODEL part the same as that on the S/X and the 3 in the style that's being used by Tesla in all promo events for the 3.

The guy doing my PPF offered to give me a selection of vinyl badges (same size and pattern as the plastic badge) so I could play with different colors. That appears to be what that guy tried with the bronze - it looks like plastic and not the original badge with vinyl over it, but maybe I'm wrong. I think my preference will be to just remove the front badge entirely. I like the clean look and having only one stuck-on logo on the tail.