TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Model 3 in motorsports?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by omgwtfbyobbq, Apr 22, 2016.

1. omgwtfbyobbq

omgwtfbyobbq Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Southern California
    In my opinion, it''ll be a few years before Tesla can focus on anything besides the Gigafactory and 3, but a certain poster got me thinking about EVs and motorsports.

I think the Model S is a a little on the heavy side for competition, but I can see a stripped down Al/Carbon fiber "Model 3" doing fairly well. It may be good enough to take a shot at the Pike's peak Unlimited class record in a few years.

1-megawatt electric car sets new record at Pikes Peak Int’l Hill Climb

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are there any other circuits/races where Tesla could take names/break records?
  2. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Mar 29, 2016
    In another thread here, it was discussed that the current Tesla battery engineering does not take well to heavy and frequent acceleration/deceleration that you get on a track (but not street). So after a short period of time, a self-protection feature in the Model S dials down the power and renders the car noncompetitive.
    I imagine the Model 3 will be the same, at least at first, until they (or an aftermarket/race company) can engineer heavy duty cooling systems, then update the car's software.
  3. xmetal

xmetal Member

Dec 28, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    I've had dreams of taking a Model 3 to the AutoX circuit. Laps are short so overheating is not as likely, the instant torque would be hugely helpful out of the tight corners. I think it would be a blast.