Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Invades Central West Virginia for Thanksgiving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RFernatt

Solar/EV Owner/Enthusiast
I wanted to pass along a recent experience I had with some old friends that my wife and I hadn't seen in a while. Recently, my wife ran into them at an event attended by their children and grandchildren. I wasn't there, but my wife says somehow the topic of Tesla came up and one of the grandkids got interested. When my wife told him we owned a Tesla he did not believe it. Even after showing photos, he just said those could be from the internet. So, my wife told him the next time we were down with the Tesla we'd stop by and give him a ride. His dad was also very interested.

So, early Thanksgiving week we were in the area (central West Virginia outside of Charleston) with the Model 3. We arranged to stop by for dinner and a visit so the grandkids and their dad could see the car. The one non-believer grandkid had to eat some crow and I gave them a demo ride going through AP, the acceleration, streaming, games, etc. They were all impressed, but for that age group (12 and under boys), I think fart mode may have been the favorite, but the acceleration runs were up there too.

When I got back with that group, our friends (the grandparents) wanted to take a ride. The grandfather had just gotten back from a day of deer hunting. They are late 50s and early 60s age wise. I gave them both a ride and went through the same demo minus fart mode (mostly because I forgot).

Lastly, the father of the kids really wanted his wife to take a ride and had to do some convincing, but eventually I did a third ride with the mother of the kids and their older daughter.

After doing three demo rides with different groups, the bottom line that was expressed was "we had no idea" and "you can't understand it without experiencing it" and "everything else feels primitive" and "the technology is just unbelievably futuristic". This family drives normal Camrys, Tacomas, Subarus, etc.

They just kept reiterating that no matter how much someone tries to explain it, you just can't understand until you experience it. I don't know if they'll be buyers anytime soon since there isn't a store or service center within a couple hundred miles, but they certain have a new appreciation for what a Tesla is and can do.

They just kept reiterating that no matter how much someone tries to explain it, you just can't understand until you experience it. I don't know if they'll be buyers anytime soon since there isn't a store or service center within a couple hundred miles, but they certain have a new appreciation for what a Tesla is and can do.
Agreed, a test drive, or at least a test drive, has a powerful impact on people. I remember my first Model S test drive in 2013. It blew my mind!

Thanks for your efforts. Changing the world, one test drive at a time... :D

Couple other thoughts... Two other things that impressed them was my solar setup that generates the power needed by the house and two EVs (locally anyway). And, that I drove from 5 hours away to get there and was driving back that night after dinner.

The whole concept of not having to go to a station to refuel except when traveling far from home was hard for them to grasp. When you go to the local gas station your whole life, the paradigm shift is not clear at first.

There is a lot of education to be done out there and not just in rural areas like WV.

Couple other thoughts... Two other things that impressed them was my solar setup that generates the power needed by the house and two EVs (locally anyway). And, that I drove from 5 hours away to get there and was driving back that night after dinner.

The whole concept of not having to go to a station to refuel except when traveling far from home was hard for them to grasp. When you go to the local gas station your whole life, the paradigm shift is not clear at first.

There is a lot of education to be done out there and not just in rural areas like WV.
Which solar do you have? Could you provide details? We have two Teslas but Tesla solar is so expensive with power walls etc.

Which solar do you have? Could you provide details? We have two Teslas but Tesla solar is so expensive with power walls etc.

I used a local installer and required Panasonic 315W all black panels (11.34kW) and a SolarEdge 11400 inverter. No Powerwall, but I would like to have one at some point. I overproduce by almost 10% annually for an all electric house, a Leaf, and Model 3. The Panasonic panels are worth a bit of premium for their production and warranty.

Lot of variables with house size and usage though. Also EV miles driven, etc.

IMG_20181020_174439.jpg

Last edited:
Tesla needs to do one Superbowl ad of one minute showing supercharger network, the car and the mission.
My Model 3 LR RWD test drives include setting the driver profile ( mirrors, seats, etc. ), a voice command to the nav system for directions, a view of nearby superchargers and their occupancy, a drive on small city streets with EAP, an acceleration demo on rural road, a demonstration of ignoring nags and automatic stop. I say the car thinks you're dead and you're in AP jail. They then drive back doing what they please. They all turn on AP again. I describe how the car is so simple to drive which they have already seen but that the underlying technology is the most advanced on the planet. I tell about the charging port pin temperature sensors that reduce or stop charging if there is a bad connection, the computer controlled brake disc wipe request that cleans the discs of rust periodically, etc. The whole thing only takes 20 minutes. I then demonstrate the theater mode with a YouTube symphonic clip or other music in their driveway.

Tesla needs to do one Superbowl ad of one minute showing supercharger network, the car and the mission.
My Model 3 LR RWD test drives include setting the driver profile ( mirrors, seats, etc. ), a voice command to the nav system for directions, a view of nearby superchargers and their occupancy, a drive on small city streets with EAP, an acceleration demo on rural road, a demonstration of ignoring nags and automatic stop. I say the car thinks you're dead and you're in AP jail. They then drive back doing what they please. They all turn on AP again. I describe how the car is so simple to drive which they have already seen but that the underlying technology is the most advanced on the planet. I tell about the charging port pin temperature sensors that reduce or stop charging if there is a bad connection, the computer controlled brake disc wipe request that cleans the discs of rust periodically, etc. The whole thing only takes 20 minutes. I then demonstrate the theater mode with a YouTube symphonic clip or other music in their driveway.
That demo had to be mind-boggling. Good work!

The great thing is that your friends and their kids will be telling more of their friends of their experience in your car.

Yep. We took photos of the boys in the driver's seat so they could show their friends and they were grabbing video from the backseat on the ride plus summon in the driveway. So, they definitely had some things to share with their friends!

• Love
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
The really cool thing about demonstrations like this is that you force changes of perspective. No matter what they've been driving, suddenly, after a Tesla ride, they realize their own cars are literally obsolete. I read a post some weeks ago about a Southern California guy who bought a Model 3, then it became an infestation. Teslas took over his neighborhood. There's a lesson in this for every other car manufacturer. As Paul Simon wrote: "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls. And tenement halls." And the bigshots in Detroit, among other locations, can't read.