Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: is this noise normal for so long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I got a model 3 RWD, 2 months ago. While charging in a normal plug at home, there is a continuous fan sound, quite loud, in the front of the car. Tesla service told me this is the refrigeration of the battery, and this is OK. The problem is that the sound lasts for about 14 horus while the car is being charged.... looks to me quite a long time refrigerating the battery specially when the car is in a garage at constant temperature (66 ºF) and being plugged to a normal plug (3 kw) in the house. Just want to know if you guys having similar car are facing similar performance.
Thanks in advance,
Alvaro.

Coolant pumps will run continuously while the car is awake, and charging will keep it awake so that part is normal. The fans should only turn when active cooling is required. I don't remember my fans running when I charge in my garage, even at 11kW. Are you sure you are hearing fans or are you hearing the pumps run and presuming it's a fan sound?

Coolant pumps will run continuously while the car is awake, and charging will keep it awake so that part is normal. The fans should only turn when active cooling is required. I don't remember my fans running when I charge in my garage, even at 11kW. Are you sure you are hearing fans or are you hearing the pumps run and presuming it's a fan sound?
Hi, thanks for the response, actually I´m presuming it´s a fan sound but not sure if they are fans or pumps. What is strange for me is that they keep running for so much time even when the park is in a garage @ 66ºF when charging... it is quite strange either pumps or fans being running for so much time on such environment. In your case, let´s say after 4 hours charging: do you normally hear any fan or pump sound in the car?

While charging the car is awake with the high voltage battery connected. The pumps run continuously in that case, that seems to be by design. Probably regulates battery temperature, and it also cools the various other components like the computers, AC/DC converter etc. If you charge for 12h, then obviously all of this runs for those 12h.

The computer is liquid cooled. The pump has to run when the computer is on. The fans will turn on and off depending on the liquid temp. You will always hear the pump on if the car is awake because the computer is on. It's like turning on a PC. If the fluid doesn't circulate the CPU will overheat. It doesn't matter what temp it is outside. It's liquid cooled not air.