Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is using Google map for turn-by-turn navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the Nav's are perfect. Waze has left me hanging in many places because it thinks I can make a turn through someone's house or business to get to my destination. Google is no all star either. Google is much better, but it's messed me up at times.

I thought I read that Tesla was going to produce their own Nav program for the car. Anybody else read about that a few months ago?

In my experience, voice recognition doesn't work if there is no cell service. I think you'd have to enter the address manually. Not completely sure on this, but I know I have not been able to use voice to enter a destination when there was no service.
This is because voice recognition is not done in-car, they ship your voice to google and get text from google back. Then they parse the resultant text.

In a similar vein, routing by supercharger does not work with no connections either, they submit the destination to Tesla servers and get list of superchargers back that they then navigate via as waypoints in the mapping engine (yes, the engine IS capable, it's just the UI that does not let you).

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
How about this use case?
You are at a Supercharger on a 400 mile trip. The Supercharger is located in an area of no cellular service. You want to enter your destination.

My experience was the "finding Superchargers for your trip" displays with a circling icon that never in facts provides any routing. In other words, if you don't have your destination pre-entered, you lose the directions to where you're going, and worse, have no estimates of energy left at any Supercharger on the route.

This observation was on day 2 of ownership, near the Indio, CA Supercharger on our way to Sedona, AZ. It's also relevant that during this time there should have been LTE service but the car didn't connect, and that other wonky things seemed to be happening (like USB stick music started to work, when it wasn't recognized previously!). So this may be a one off situation.

I'm curious if anyone in the hinterlands (I mean where there's no LTE service as indicated in the car's display) can try entering destinations by name (e.g., "navigate to Honda Center in Anaheim, California") or street address (e.g., "navigate to 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Munsterville, IA"), and reporting the results. We know for sure the map won't paint, but will you get turn-by-turn directions offline?

I drove my M3 to Yosemite last weekend. There are some spots where you lose LTE coverage. When I lost LTE coverage, I could not use navigation to enter new destination (including superchargers). However if I had already entered destination (when I had LTE coverage), the navigation kept showing turn by turn direction even when I lost LTE coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: FreeOfPge
Model s is not Valhalla, disagree all you want but I’m correct.

M3 == Valhalla and MS/X == Navigon

If you disagree with these facts root your car and look. And yes these are facts, but they are putting the pieces in place for all to use Valhalla but it hasn’t fully dropped yet, just bits and pieces.

@verygreen even did a demo of it on his X

Which part of my post above are YOU disagreeing with? I disagreed with the claim that it’s using google routing, and then noted I cannot replicate the bizarre routing in one particular area that the model 3 tries every time in any other nav system.

In my experience, voice recognition doesn't work if there is no cell service. I think you'd have to enter the address manually. Not completely sure on this, but I know I have not been able to use voice to enter a destination when there was no service.
I perhaps was inartful in my post that implied a voice navigation command. Of course that won't work. But the same effect with manually entering an address, if I recall. There are some others here that seem to confirm: no wireless signal, no entry of next destination, no way to know if you'll have the juice to get there. This is not good.

I recall that the tesla wanted me to add a home wifi connection so that it can download maps and update navigation software. It also said that it only downloads new maps when connected to wifi. Therefore, I conclude that it uses it's cached maps and online traffic data to route the route. (That was after the update to version 9)

I recall that the tesla wanted me to add a home wifi connection so that it can download maps and update navigation software. It also said that it only downloads new maps when connected to wifi. Therefore, I conclude that it uses it's cached maps and online traffic data to route the route. (That was after the update to version 9)
But if that's true, why are the maps blank when in non-LTE areas?

Anyone know where I can report issues with the lane keeping for Navigate on Autopilot (NAP)? I tried link below, but nothing matches. Every day, NAP tries to get me to exit into an ending lane. Later, when the exit lane appears, NAP says I need to exit, but it uses a curving line, as if it thinks I'm in the exit lane already.

Map feedback

it's not the maps that are blank, but just the textures. The actual route is still drawn (if you have navigation on). (I have no explanation why IC part is blank on S/X at times, must be a bug since it happens even with internet connectivity)
Well, without arguing I think you'll agree that a blank screen of grey squares with your car's arrow icon in the center doesn't exactly help a driver.

Early experience (12/29/17 to be exact) in non LTE covered areas was that routing to intermediate Superchargers was not available, nor were remaining energy estimates. Haven't checked this lately to see if it's resolved.

The answer to the blank maps, of course, is dedicating some memory to caching maps.

Google does not allow any entities to have access to its navigation API; however the maps information is fair game. So Tesla uses Google Maps as the overlay (what you see on screen), and the navigation is driven by another map source (see my old post further up this thread). I believe the big maps download that was required for v9 is that map data. It's big because it's likely road/waypoint information for the entire country.

it's not the maps that are blank, but just the textures. The actual route is still drawn (if you have navigation on). (I have no explanation why IC part is blank on S/X at times, must be a bug since it happens even with internet connectivity)

For S/X, depending on the year, there is only 3G radio and not LTE. If the data speeds are not sufficient, or reception is poor (even on LTE), you'll see partially drawn Google Maps on the screen. This same thing would happen on your phone if your carrier's signal was weak where you were.

Well, without arguing I think you'll agree that a blank screen of grey squares with your car's arrow icon in the center doesn't exactly help a driver.

Early experience (12/29/17 to be exact) in non LTE covered areas was that routing to intermediate Superchargers was not available, nor were remaining energy estimates. Haven't checked this lately to see if it's resolved.

The answer to the blank maps, of course, is dedicating some memory to caching maps.
I experienced this but found that if I zoomed out a little then I could see the map. It's identical to google where it will cache your route and maps down to a certain degree of resolution. You won't be able to see small details but you can always see a map with the route and the major roads. Still it was disconcerting. I don't see it being able to download the full map like google allows you to do for a certain defined area.