Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation - Won't Use Newer Roads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new comer to the Tesla world, glad to finally be here! One thing I'm noticing at the moment is that the navigation routing seems to avoid a much better, newer to Google Maps road. It routes out of the way by a couple of .25 miles to the west instead of going straight north. Google Maps shows the road, but Tesla navigation doesn't appear to know of the road, as when I take the road, it doesn't put me on the road.

|----------------+--------------> b (destination)
| x
| x
| x
|-----------------+
| |
| |
| |
| a (origin)

That is the route. Where there are "x" the road exists on Google Maps and in real life. Yet, Tesla navigation doesn't seem to know about it. Is this just an update that takes a little while? Is there a place to get in a queue of route updates?

The car uses Google maps to display and select the destination. This is downloaded in real time, so is up to date. It also keeps a full mapping database and once the destination is set, that is used for nav (this ensures the nav still works even if there is no cell signal).

That database gets automatically updated (for free) about once a year. There is no way to speed the update - it happens when it happens.

I live in an area where map data is way out of date, by about 10 years. Updates don't fix it, because the data in my area is still wrong. Google maps seems to be updated more. Still the fast food place shows me driving through the farm that was there before the fast food place was built last year. Speed limits and phantom areas where the car does not maintain the correct speed, and actually slows down, are common. A road travelled daily shows the speed limit as 25, when it has always been 35 with speed limit signs. I wish the map data folks would review inconsistencies hopefully logged by a Tesla, but we are not at that level technologically yet. Tesla is relying less on map data these days, which sometimes helps.

I think Tesla is using two maps, and they don't always agree. Google for real-time and sat views. Routing, intersection, speeds, etc. come from the resident map that is updated about once a year. I think this is from OpenStreetMap data. Valhalla is the open-source routing engine Tesla uses. Here's a starting point: Tesla - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I live in an area where map data is way out of date, by about 10 years. Updates don't fix it, because the data in my area is still wrong. Google maps seems to be updated more. Still the fast food place shows me driving through the farm that was there before the fast food place was built last year. Speed limits and phantom areas where the car does not maintain the correct speed, and actually slows down, are common. A road travelled daily shows the speed limit as 25, when it has always been 35 with speed limit signs. I wish the map data folks would review inconsistencies hopefully logged by a Tesla, but we are not at that level technologically yet. Tesla is relying less on map data these days, which sometimes helps.
the car goes off of the speed limit signs for how fast an area is. Like there is a 55ton sign i drive past sometimes and when the car sees it it slows from 65 to 55mph unless the sun is shining just right then it ignores it, Same thing happens to a 35 ton sign.

the car goes off of the speed limit signs for how fast an area is. Like there is a 55ton sign i drive past sometimes and when the car sees it it slows from 65 to 55mph unless the sun is shining just right then it ignores it, Same thing happens to a 35 ton sign.
I think when you turn onto a different road, the car uses map data until the first speed limit sign is "seen" by the cameras. This is why the speed limit is inappropriately set on may of the roads I drive. It eventually will adjust, but going 25 MPH in a 55 MPH zone is unsafe.