Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.

Purchased a fob after using the cardkey and then a smartphone. The cardkey was okay; it worked every time I used it. But it required me to be in physical contact with my car. Nothing wrong with that, but taking the card out of my wallet, pressing it up to the B pillar and then putting it away got a little tiresome. After about six months I tried pairing my phone (Samsung J3) and it was easier to unlock/lock the car but it wasn't 100% reliable. Despite the cost of the fob I got one. Now, if my phone doesn't get detected by my car and unlocks the door, I press the fob (in my pocket) and get in. Even after changing to a Samsung S6 Edge, there's a couple of times when the phone fails. So instead of doing the bluetooth off/on shuffle, I just press a button.

Oh, also with the fob, I can unlock the car from a distance and then get in any door. I can make sure the car is locked after walking away.

Yes. The new KeyFob are passive unlock (ie it detects your KeyFob when you open the door and unlocks the car without you pressing it). That includes the trunk.

Biggest benefit over the phone though? Easy Frunk access. Then if you get the auto Frunk plus KeyFob? Even better.

It took a while to get my car associated to my Tesla account because I bought my car used. Without the car associated to the account I could not use the Tesla app on the phone or use the phone as a key. So I went ahead and bought the new fob to have a touchless experience, while waiting for my car to be connected to my account. The fob works very well. Proximity works great and the car unlocks when you attempt to open the door and locks after you walk away (provided you have that option selected). Also nice to have frunk and trunk open option available vs having to use the key card to unlock the car and use the screen. If you have the summon feature the fob can do basic forward and backward summon as well.

Note: If you buy a used one form someone check the back of the fob for either Model 3 or Tesla. If it says Model 3 on the back then it is a gen 1 fob and will not have the proximity open/lock option. The new gen 2 fob, currently sold on the Tesla site, says Tesla on the back and this one has the proximity feature.

The only downside of the fob (assuming you don't also consider the extra cost a downside, YMMV) is that it seems to scratch pretty easily. Seems noticeably more delicate than other car key fobs. I thought a case would be a little over the top, so I've left mine bare. Even so, it's not attached to any other keys, has its spot on a valet tray, and only goes into the small pocket of my jeans. So i'm surprised by the amount of hairline scratches I have on mine.

The only downside of the fob (assuming you don't also consider the extra cost a downside, YMMV) is that it seems to scratch pretty easily. Seems noticeably more delicate than other car key fobs. I thought a case would be a little over the top, so I've left mine bare. Even so, it's not attached to any other keys, has its spot on a valet tray, and only goes into the small pocket of my jeans. So i'm surprised by the amount of hairline scratches I have on mine.
I bought this for mine
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DF8YXNM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 2 keys I needed to attach to it (House and Office Key). This protects it, looks good, allows me to attach keys and the little pull strap is nice to pull out of a pocket and hold on to .

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Yes, and I've posted my reasons why in other threads, but everyone will have their own opinions as to whether it's worth it to them to have one or not.

For me....

1) Way easier & faster to open & close my powered frunk & trunk.
2) Don't want to sync my phone to the car via BT for a few security & personal reasons.
3) Easier & faster for the parking attendant at my work's parking garage to locate my key fob in their key lock box, especially when there's 20+ other Model 3 cars parked on the same level and they all have the same looking card keys.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and ra88it

I like using the silicone fob pockets that Abstract sells. Completely covers the entire key so it won't get touched or scratched, and feels better when pressing the buttons to open the frunk or trunk. Plus they're around $9.

I actually cut the key ring off of one pocket and used this short lanyard key chain since it feels a lot more secure, and I don't need to worry about the fob pocket possibly ripping over time.

Tesla-Fob-Pocket-Key-Ring.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Durzel and solodogg
Don't bother with the fob. It's a waste of money. My wife carries it in her purse so she can open the passenger door, but I could have programmed her phone and done the same thing for free.

My iPhone never fails to unlock the car when I approach it. Never, not once, has it been a problem.
Let's see who can open their Frunk quicker...

Don't bother with the fob. It's a waste of money. My wife carries it in her purse so she can open the passenger door,
but I could have programmed her phone and done the same thing for free.
My iPhone never fails to unlock the car when I approach it. Never, not once, has it been a problem.
Unless you have problem with your phone (Bluetooth or Cell connectivity) I don't see the need for a fob.

The phone App is really helpful and almost indispensable, to perform functions like checking the battery status,
especially if you are using a Supercharger to avoid any fees, set or stop Sentry, if you forget to do it before leaving the car,
set ambient temperature, check if all the windows are closed, something practical if you have passengers,
or just want to crack the windows a little bit, use Summon...., or call assistance or schedule an appointment.
Let's see who can open their Frunk quicker...
You can open the frunk or trunk remotely from anywhere in the world with the phone App, or even using voice activated.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bcpm3p and lUtriaNt