Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 lighted applique

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model S and X will get a new controller and software a some time in the future. The bug that was in the old controller is being fixed, that should have no bearing on the model 3. the Model 3 will get a different controller and light board. If and when a lighted applique is produced.

I'm starting work for one on my own car but it will have none of the bells and whistles of the Model S one. It will be powered by a separate li-ion rechargeable 12v battery and thus will not require any connections to the car's electrical system. It will light in red only, but it will have some special effects controlled by a remote, but -- again -- only in red.

And it will be for my car only. Period.

I've already started by modifying a standard Model S applique. As the photo shows, the ends have been cut off and tapered to fit between the taillights, and the chrome letter board as been removed.. It will be wrapped in the same black vinyl that I used for blacking out the chrome on my Model 3. The letters will be lit by 3 very thin and superbright COB leds. It will be held in place on the trunk by 3M double sided tape. I hope to finish it and have it on my Model 3 by March.

IMG_0780.jpeg

I'm starting work for one on my own car but it will have none of the bells and whistles of the Model S one. It will be powered by a separate li-ion rechargeable 12v battery and thus will not require any connections to the car's electrical system. It will light in red only, but it will have some special effects controlled by a remote, but -- again -- only in red.

And it will be for my car only. Period.

I've already started by modifying a standard Model S applique. As the photo shows, the ends have been cut off and tapered to fit between the taillights, and the chrome letter board as been removed.. It will be wrapped in the same black vinyl that I used for blacking out the chrome on my Model 3. The letters will be lit by 3 very thin and superbright COB leds. It will be held in place on the trunk by 3M double sided tape. I hope to finish it and have it on my Model 3 by March.

View attachment 370397

Cool! I didn't know you got a Model 3.

Just now seeing this. Is there a link to a picture or description of what it will be like? I’m a little uncertain to what this is, but may be interested if it’s cool enough!
Artsci is working on a lighted rear applique for his Model 3. There is a lighted rear "T" for the model 3.
you can go to Evannex or tesla-lights.net and get a look at what is out there for upping your Tesla S,X or 3

It's pretty much ready. Just waiting on the additional COB LEDs that I need to light all of the letters.

I used the latest applique from a Tesla Model S which I bought on eBay; cut it to shape so that it fits between the taillights with the correct angle at the ends where is butts up against the tailights; had it wrapped in the same black vinyl I used to black out all of the chrome on my Model 3; bought and inserted the clear TESLA letters from Watts Up (Jurgen) a Clear Letter Set Gen III / Face Lift - Tesla Lights; sourced on Amazon a small 38,400 mAh, 142 wH battery to provide the power for the COB LEDs (they're rectangular and fit nearly perfect between the two horizontal ridges on the back of the applique; bought red gel film for stage lighting so the letters will light red and be legal as well tolerate the heat generated by the COB LEDs, and acquired a batch of 1/8th inch sponge rubber trim to seal the upper and lower edges of the appliqué from water incursion. For extra precaution I'll add waterproof solution to the COB LEDs.

The applique with the ends cut to size fits perfectly over the area above the small ridge on back of the trunk lid (I was pleasantly surprised about that). So this will look stock not like some home made POS. Howeve rthe appliqué will intrude on the space for the T and that will have to be removed.

Of course, unlike the lighted rear applique for the S sold on Jurgen's tesla-light.net site, as posted earlier, it will light only in red and do none of the special effects that the phenomenal product does. However. I plan to insert between the power source and the leds, a remote control device that will enable a number of special flash effects when the car is stationery.

For me this is kind of proof of concept. Down the road I'd like to modify one of Jurgen's S lighted rear appliqués so that it works with all of the CANBUS signals for left and right turns, brake and running lights, and back up lights. That way we'll be able to use all of the special effects that the S lighted rear applique is capable of but tapping the CANBUS signals will make installation a breeze.

Here are a few crude photos of the work in progress.

The lighted applique: as the COB LEDs are almost blinding the light is much brighter than the photo indicates. It will attach the trunk lid with 3m double sided tape.

IMG_0818.jpeg

The back of the applique showing the COB LED and the red gel

IMG_0819.jpeg

The battery

IMG_0821.jpeg

A side view of the COB LED (it will take 3 to light the entire appliqué)

IMG_0825.jpeg

The controller for special effects with a remote

IMG_0822.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hey Rick that is pretty cool stuff. If your interested I could ask Harold if he is willing to run off one Aluminum ( cut down ) applique with the hight being the same over the length the applique. As you know the hight at center is greater then at the ends.

I understand what you did in order to light up the letters. I don't see a problem in drilling a hole behind the letter board, that way you can run the control wire into the trunk and have the same functions as in the "S" and "X"

Hey Rick that is pretty cool stuff. If your interested I could ask Harold if he is willing to run off one Aluminum ( cut down ) applique with the hight being the same over the length the applique. As you know the hight at center is greater then at the ends.

I understand what you did in order to light up the letters. I don't see a problem in drilling a hole behind the letter board, that way you can run the control wire into the trunk and have the same functions as in the "S" and "X"

Thanks Jurgen. I'll have to drill a hole anyway for the power lead from the battery, so why not? I'd love to have the full functions of the S and X version but I'm concerned about how to deal with the additional thickness of the letter board and then all of the wiring. It's what including the neopixels 4-5mm. The COBs are 2-3.

Rick, remember the three foot rule. Can you tell the difference between 2 and 3 mm from three away?
I don't think it's the thickness of the applique. I do think it's the arc of the trunk. For me a lighted applique
for the Model three is on the back burner. I working on and waiting for Gen IV to be tested and in production.
Have a couple of other items that may be fun to add to our S's, X's and 3's.

The applique work has been completed and it's ready to install on my Model 3. Here are a few photos. all shot in my shop, of progress.

There are three COB Led units placed end to end. They just fit the width of the Model S appliqué and after waterproofing are glue into place with clear high temp silicone adhesive. They're wired in series.The blue tape is to hold them in alignment until the silicone adhesive is fully dry. The red and black wires are for 12volt power and ground. They'll pass through a small hole in the trunk where they will be attached to the brake and parking lights as well as an always on source of 12v powers.

IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0830.jpeg

With the COB legs powered on. The photos do show an uneven light but in reality the letters are an intense and even red even brighter than the tail lights. The entire 3D surface of the TESLA letters are light. One of the photos shows the letters reversed. My bad:)

IMG_0838.jpeg
The applique will be mounted on the car with 3M double sided tape, and the edges of the applique will have a small rubber trim to prevent water and dirt incursion. The COB led units get very hot so the rear trunk lid where they'll be mounted will be an enormous heat sink:)

IMG_0834.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: HankLloydRight
The applique work has been completed and it's ready to install on my Model 3. Here are a few photos. all shot in my shop, of progress.

There are three COB Led units placed end to end. They just fit the width of the Model S appliqué and after waterproofing are glue into place with clear high temp silicone adhesive. They're wired in series.The blue tape is to hold them in alignment until the silicone adhesive is fully dry. The red and black wires are for 12volt power and ground. They'll pass through a small hole in the trunk where they will be attached to the brake and parking lights as well as an always on source of 12v powers.

View attachment 374494 View attachment 374495

With the COB legs powered on. The photos do show an uneven light but in reality the letters are an intense and even red even brighter than the tail lights. The entire 3D surface of the TESLA letters are light. One of the photos shows the letters reversed. My bad:)

View attachment 374500 The applique will be mounted on the car with 3M double sided tape, and the edges of the applique will have a small rubber trim to prevent water and dirt incursion. The COB led units get very hot so the rear trunk lid where they'll be mounted will be an enormous heat sink:)

View attachment 374499

Hello ARTSCI,
Would appreciate your guidance on lighting the rear TESLA logo letters on the rear of my Roadster.
Please advise.
Sam. Atlanta GA
[email protected]