Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range AWD Broke Down After 250 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So someone from the service center got in touch with me today. It turns out it’s a faulty super bottle(coolant reservoir) they told my they had never seen such a bad leak on a new car. New part was ordered and should be in by the end of the week. They even gave me a model s P90D loaner (which is all the compensation I was looking for). On top of that I got some supercharging credit.
Please note i did not ask for this credit. I just wanted a loaner car.

Just amazes me that people would consider asking for a handout right away. If it was a 100k car costing you 2k a month to keep on the road and it was down for a month, sure. But it’s not, it’s a 50k car.

Give them a chance to fix it, I’m sure it will be done soon and back on the road

If it is a warranty repair, most car manufacturers will give you a loaner or a rental for the duration of the warranty repairs.

So where I’m at it is actually a nearly €70k/$80k car. I’m not looking for cash or anything. Just a loaner or something.
It’s frustrating to buy a brand new car and have it break down almost immediately.
They should give you a loaner. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

And I understand the frustration, just a mix up in language. Sounded like you were asking for money because the car broke.

So someone from the service center got in touch with me today. It turns out it’s a faulty super bottle(coolant reservoir) they told my they had never seen such a bad leak on a new car. New part was ordered and should be in by the end of the week. They even gave me a model s P90D loaner (which is all the compensation I was looking for). On top of that I got some supercharging credit.
Not bad, enjoy the loaner!

So another update:
The service center got in touch today. The initial problems seem to be fixed. I got a new super bottle. But it seems my car also has a can bus problem. The only way for Tesla to diagnose this is to drive my car around for at least 300 miles...... So I still haven’t gotten my car back, the earliest I’ll get it back is Monday. And Tesla will have to drive my car around and more then double the mileage. So if I get my car back on Monday the car has been mine for 1,5 weeks. I was able to enjoy it for 1 day. I’m pissed

The initial problems seem to be fixed. I got a new super bottle.
Can you get the old one...

wwln70ejxzvwl8w1kmlw.png

The only way for Tesla to diagnose this is to drive my car around for at least 300 miles......
So I still haven’t gotten my car back, the earliest I’ll get it back is Monday.
And Tesla will have to drive my car around and more then double the mileage.
I doubt they can really be able to diagnostic anything this way...
They will not pay either a mechanic just to drive it around the block for 10 hours.
I guess it will be used as a commute car by one employee for a week...

The correct way to solve this issue is to run a software running a full self test program of every single sensor.

How do you think SpaceX test their rockets? By just doing a joy riding!!!

So another update:
The service center got in touch today. The initial problems seem to be fixed. I got a new super bottle. But it seems my car also has a can bus problem. The only way for Tesla to diagnose this is to drive my car around for at least 300 miles...... So I still haven’t gotten my car back, the earliest I’ll get it back is Monday. And Tesla will have to drive my car around and more then double the mileage. So if I get my car back on Monday the car has been mine for 1,5 weeks. I was able to enjoy it for 1 day. I’m pissed

I hear you. But it happens. I had my car 6 days, and then I had a hole through my wheel and tire and was without a car 11 days.

So another update:
It is what it is. Don't stress out, 300 miles isn't the end of the world.

So where I’m at it is actually a nearly €70k/$80k car. I’m not looking for cash or anything. Just a loaner or something.
It’s frustrating to buy a brand new car and have it break down almost immediately.

Less than 1000mi, under 7 days. They should be grateful that you didn’t return it. I get it. I would feel funny about taking ownership and immediately having a breakdown.

OTOH, if this is a discrete component, a reservoir, and controls prevented thermal damage, they the car will be as good as new. Sorry that you had trouble.

I have a similar story to the original post. I have a brand new Model X, and 8 days after I picked it up, it completely lost power on the road (while I was stopped). Luckily, things came back and I was able to drive home. Tesla recommended getting it towed to the Service center.

That was 10 days ago, and I am waiting on a new MCU (they described it as the "touchscreen", but I suspect it's the main computing unit) to arrive for installation.

I do have a loaner, but it's honestly not at nice as my car, and I am getting frustrated by the part ETA being consistently pushed out .

I am also looking for some sort of compensation, as this is a serious issue, and could have ended much differently.

So, I took delivery of my model 3 AWD on Friday. Delivery went smooth, my car didn’t come with the phone charging cables but these would be shipped to my home. I drove my car around that day and showed it to my family and friends. The car was exceptional, But each time I parked the car for a couple of minutes I noticed some moisture under the car. I thought, it’s a hot day today (30C/86F) that must be condensation from the air conditioning. I couldn’t be more wrong. After charging the car overnight I noticed the cooling system working overtime. I thought nothing of it, this car is my first EV and this was my first time charging it. I had some errands to run so I got on with my day. Drove about 20 miles before the problems started. I got an error saying my SOS call system (required by law in new EU cars). Another 5 miles later I lost cruise control, and one of the motors stopped working so the cars top speed was limited to 105km/h (65mph). I pulled over to see moisture dripping from below my car. I decided to call Tesla service, a very nice man helped my book a service appointment for the following week and told me I could still use my car in the meanwhile. While I was still on the phone with Tesla service I lost power steering. I pulled over and Tesla service send out a tow truck. The tow truck driver told me my car was leaking coolant.

So my 1 day old car broke down with only 250 miles on the odometer.

Tesla service will call me tomorrow to inform me about what is wrong with my car etc. I will keep you posted.

I’m wondering if anybody has had the same problem?
What can I expect from Tesla service?
Or in terms of compensation?

Midnight silver metallic model 3 long range dual motor 19” black interior vin: 368***

My car was delivered in Spain 21 June and the same issue found. Was a LR AWD... Seems like there is some broken bottles...

Service is expecting to return my car tomorrow and loaned me an Audi Q2... Everytime I have to get on this Audi I feel really hurt ;)

I hope this is a one-time situation and I won't have to return any Service Center in years!

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck