Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range Internal Charger Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the onboard charger on Model 3 have two 24A components or three 16A components. Up until recently, all sources indicated it was two 24A but recent sources indicate three 16A . I have never charged over 32A, so if their is indeed three 16A components, I have not never used the third 16A component and there is a potential it could be faulty. I am slightly concerned because I have read several forum posts where the internal charging board under the HV penthouse cover had to be replaced.

3x16A. Mid-range and short-range are 2x16A.

I wouldn't be too concerned about a failed charger ... I think I read handful of reports of a failed module across however many thousands of Model 3 owners are on this site. If it's really a concern, try charging it on a larger level 2 charger and see what happens.

I have a buddy that installed a Tesla wall charger and I am sure he would let me perform a quick test charging above 32A.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Regards, Ron

Does the onboard charger on Model 3 have two 24A components or three 16A components. Up until recently, all sources indicated it was two 24A but recent sources indicate three 16A . I have never charged over 32A, so if their is indeed three 16A components, I have not never used the third 16A component and there is a potential it could be faulty. I am slightly concerned because I have read several forum posts where the internal charging board under the HV penthouse cover had to be replaced.

Are you assuming it only uses one or two chargers if the input lower is <16 or 32A, or did you read this somewhere?

Another assumption could be each charger is responsible for X number of cells to split the load and they all 3 get used simultaneously most of the time.

For reference, my Model S has two, 40-amp chargers. If the amperage is 40 amps or below, the charging is handled by one charger. As soon as the amperage goes over 40, though, the load is shared. It's kind of strange. When I'm not in a hurry, I typically charge at 42 amps so that I'm taxing both chargers equally at 21 amps, rather than charge at 40 amps and tax one charger at 100%.

For reference, my Model S has two, 40-amp chargers. If the amperage is 40 amps or below, the charging is handled by one charger. As soon as the amperage goes over 40, though, the load is shared. It's kind of strange. When I'm not in a hurry, I typically charge at 42 amps so that I'm taxing both chargers equally at 21 amps, rather than charge at 40 amps and tax one charger at 100%.

How does one determine if both chargers are in use or not?

Are you assuming it only uses one or two chargers if the input lower is <16 or 32A, or did you read this somewhere?

Another assumption could be each charger is responsible for X number of cells to split the load and they all 3 get used simultaneously most of the time.

It's definitely not assigning blocks of cells to each charger, based on how it's wired and based on its performance when one charging module fails (entire pack still charges, just more slowly).

Your assumptions might be correct but a few minutes charging above 32A would prove everything is working. It is possible I will never charge over 32A as this is all the UMC version 2 supports but it is also possible I might purchase a Tesla Wall charger or visit a destination charger that supports charging above 32A. My Model 3 was manufactured in June 2018 (during the initial first push to produce 5000 cars per week) so the service bulletins "Power Conversion System", possible bad battery bond wires and others could be applicable, hopefully not. Just trying to educate myself so I might understand any strange behaviors in the future.

Thanks for your forum response.

How does one determine if both chargers are in use or not?

For above I meant in a 40A or less scenario of course. How does one know if it is 20+20 split, or all 40 on one?

Further to this, how does one determine if charging at 42A uses 21+21 and not 40+2?

EDIT: I have no answers, only questions :) ... but if the car is “smart enough” to do 21+21 instead of 40+2 then why wouldn’t it do 20+20 instead of 40+0?

Curious if there is anyone who knows how it works or if there are ways to tell?

Last edited:
My assertion as to the load sharing is based on two things: Reports here over the past few years that the load is shared in that way in vehicles with two 40-amp chargers and also observation. When I set my S to 80 amps and watch the car's display as it begins to charge, the car ramps up from zero amps to 40 and holds at 40 for five or 10 seconds before proceeding. Certainly not definitive, I admit, but suggestive.

I wonder if there's a similar pause as each 16-amp charger comes into play? I have a 48-amp charger in my 3 but I've never watched the ramp-up to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: darth_vad3r