Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Long Range - public chargers only [in London]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys.
I have Tesla Model 3 LR on order but I’m not sure if I should keep it.
I live in London (zone 2) in my own apartment with an underground parking space. I tried to get a charger installed but finally when I got a permit the building management wants ton of documents and £3360 to start with (solicitor + their fee). Alternatively, I can wait until they will work out their solution but it will take years (we were waiting 7 years for fibre optic). Is anyone in similar situation?
1. I have source London chargers next to my flat but I would have to park in the street for long hours (7kW chargers, 49p per kW). By doing that I’m risking damage to my car as the street is pretty busy.
2. Looks like 22kW chargers (which would be optimal) would provide just 11kW - would have to find them and then stay for hours which is not ideal.
3. In my area there are also chargers between 50-175kW but I’m worried about battery degradation - planning to keep my car for 6 years (buying it with tesla loan).
Is anyone in similar situation and could share their experience?
Just to add - I drive very irregularly. Would be charging my car every 1-3 weeks I believe. Sometimes drive a lot during a weekend and sometimes I don’t drive for 2-3 weeks.

I’m in Zone 3 and have taken delivery a month ago of a Tesla y. Am reliant on public chargers. The source ones are good if rather expensive. You can reduce the cost a little by paying a monthly subscription. However there are lamppost chargers that have been installed which are 28p per kWh and although further away and more popular it seems to work. The source chargers are still cheaper than petrol

Reactions: Minimalist300
Also why would anyone use a more expensive Source London charger when there are cheaper lamppost chargers available?
The problem in our area is that the lamppost chargers are frequently blocked by parked cars, both electric and ice. The source chargers are always available and there are loads of them. Although source have put up their rates to 55pkwh with a residents discount bonnet is cheaper and can use these chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Unless I can charge the car at my own place I wouldn’t buy one. That’s why I waited until I had a house with a garage. Otherwise it seems like it adds too much unnecessary stress and I feel like the unpredictable schedule for driving and lots of just sitting there unused isn’t good for battery either.