Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3, LR-AWD First Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Important: I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, not buying the Tesla Wall Connector. In the trunk is a black bag with charging goodies. You get the power cord, a 120 volt adapter, and a J1772 adapter to use at non-Tesla fast chargers. You do NOT get the NEMA 14-50 adapter cord. I knew this in advance but I feel Tesla is screwing us. It is a sly way of having you buy the Tesla Wall Connector ($500).

That claim makes no sense. Even if you bought the wall connector and kept the mobile connector in the trunk for use on the road, you would still need adapters to make the mobile connector useful on the road. Charging at 4 mph isn't very useless on road trips. And you really need to buy more than one to be ready to use it wherever you find a 220 outlet since they aren't all the same.

So if you had to buy adapters to make the mobile charger useful on the road, you would be ready to use it at home and therefore not need a wall connector.

Last edited:
I just did a 450 mile overnight test drive over the weekend in the same car.

I absolutely agree with you on the stereo and am shocked at the praise it gets. Compared to the Harmon Kardon system in my X3 and the Logic 7 (also made by HK) in my 3 series wagon the model 3 sounds like a $30 Bluetooth speaker. Before I get bashed for that opinion, I don't claim to be an audiophile and honestly my hearing isn't the best. And this is definitely my opinion, I'm not claiming this to be a fact at all.

The highs seemed tinny and there was very little bass felt. I did look at the EQ setting and it had the bass and treble turned all the way up with the mid's about 3/4 of the way up (which is usually how I end up setting most adjustable EQ's) . I didn't change the setting so maybe that would have helped. I tried streaming from my phone using Amazon Music app including some "Ultra HD" songs and the built in streaming. The best of those 3 was the "Ultra HD songs from the Amazon Music App followed by the built in streaming. I will say listening to podcasts was crystal clear and didn't have to turn them up like I normally do to understand them. Also the sound from the built in Netflix app was phenomenal and reminded me of my surround sound setup at home.

I also agree with the SiriusXM complaint, I've been a subscriber of Sirius since 2005. CarPlay and satellite radio are things I would personally miss. I like being able to get in the car and have music I like playing without me having to get my phone out, open whatever app I want to use and decide what to listen to. I'm sure I could get use to some of the streaming options eventually. It just seems odd that I'd have to change my listening habits when almost any other car on the market would likely give me both of those options, especially at this price point.

I absolutely agree with you on the stereo and am shocked at the praise it gets. Compared to the Harmon Kardon system in my X3 and the Logic 7 (also made by HK) in my 3 series wagon the model 3 sounds like a $30 Bluetooth speaker. Before I get bashed for that opinion, I don't claim to be an audiophile and honestly my hearing isn't the best. And this is definitely my opinion, I'm not claiming this to be a fact at all.

The highs seemed tinny and there was very little bass felt. I did look at the EQ setting and it had the bass and treble turned all the way up with the mid's about 3/4 of the way up (which is usually how I end up setting most adjustable EQ's) . I didn't change the setting so maybe that would have helped. I tried streaming from my phone using Amazon Music app including some "Ultra HD" songs and the built in streaming. The best of those 3 was the "Ultra HD songs from the Amazon Music App followed by the built in streaming. I will say listening to podcasts was crystal clear and didn't have to turn them up like I normally do to understand them. Also the sound from the built in Netflix app was phenomenal and reminded me of my surround sound setup at home.

I also agree with the SiriusXM complaint, I've been a subscriber of Sirius since 2005. CarPlay and satellite radio are things I would personally miss. I like being able to get in the car and have music I like playing without me having to get my phone out, open whatever app I want to use and decide what to listen to. I'm sure I could get use to some of the streaming options eventually. It just seems odd that I'd have to change my listening habits when almost any other car on the market would likely give me both of those options, especially at this price point.

What you describe about having to turn up the podcasts could suggests you normally have a very bass heavy sound. Which is exactly how I thought the HK in my BMW and the B&O in my Audi was, very heavy on the bass but even that was quite loose and the systems were lacking control in general.

The Model 3 system is much more neutral and has a lot more control in my opinion, but it doesn’t have the same quantity of bass as many other systems do. But then again I am biased against the neutral sound with a lot of focus in the highs, that is how I built my home system. Everyone likes a different sound so there isn’t one system to rule them all.

Reactions: KenC
What you describe about having to turn up the podcasts could suggests you normally have a very bass heavy sound. Which is exactly how I thought the HK in my BMW and the B&O in my Audi was, very heavy on the bass but even that was quite loose and the systems were lacking control in general.

The Model 3 system is much more neutral and has a lot more control in my opinion, but it doesn’t have the same quantity of bass as many other systems do. But then again I am biased against the neutral sound with a lot of focus in the highs, that is how I built my home system. Everyone likes a different sound so there isn’t one system to rule them all.
Thank you for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense. I look forward to fine tuning it.

...but it doesn’t have the same quantity of bass as many other systems do.
I find that when you turn the volume all the way up, the bass asserts it's presence nicely. The balance is still good, it's more like an additional octave on the bottom gets added. My kids get annoyed when I pull into the garage with the sound at that level; even though they're a solid concrete block wall and an interior wall away from the car and generally have earbuds in.

I find that when you turn the volume all the way up, the bass asserts it's presence nicely. The balance is still good, it's more like an additional octave on the bottom gets added. My kids get annoyed when I pull into the garage with the sound at that level; even though they're a solid concrete block wall and an interior wall away from the car and generally have earbuds in.

Well that is of course true, when I am saying there’s less bass I am talking at a given volume. I think the model 3 sound system is much more neutral so there’s more of a balance between lows, mids and highs, which is why you don’t need to turn up the volume for podcasts.

But you can still “feel” the bass hit you if you turn it up.

Reactions: KenC
That claim makes no sense. Even if you bought the wall connector and kept the mobile connector in the trunk for use on the road, you would still need adapters to make the mobile connector useful on the road. Charging at 4 mph isn't very useless on road trips. And you really need to buy more than one to be ready to use it wherever you find a 220 outlet since they aren't all the same.

So if you had to buy adapters to make the mobile charger useful on the road, you would be ready to use it at home and therefore not need a wall connector.

Good point. Consider though that the J1772 alone can get you L2 at a LOT of non-Tesla destination chargers. Still probably a good idea to have the 14-50. That said, I stand by my opinion that it was right to exclude it. Major auto shaves off every dime to reach profits. Perhaps the mobile charger itself should be optional. I may *never* use mine.

Huh? What are you talking about?

you are certainly entitled to you opinion, as I said in an earlier post, I made some changes to the EQ settings and the radio was very much improved. If I can find the YouTube video I will post it. All I can say is that I turned up the base and treble, so that chart in my car looks “V’ shaped. The car came with all speakers equally balanced, at least that is what I called it. I moved the circle up and to the right to increase the speaker volume on the passenger side because the video explained sitting in the drivers side, it is loud enough because you are really next to the speaker, so moving the circle to the right decreases driver side speaker and increases passenger door speaker. I find this has helped with the other adjustments above.

I wanted to write this because this forum has been very helpful to me to understand and live thru ordering and delivery timetables.

First, I was incredibly lucky to get my car in 33 days after ordering. Ordered on 4/1, picked it up this afternoon, 5/4. White, Black interior, 18” wheels, non FSD, LR-AWD.

So I checked in (Mt. Kisco, NY), I seem to be the only one checking in at this time (3pm), went quickly, downloaded some QR codes and I was done. Earlier in the day they asked if I would send my insurance cards to them for quick registration at delivery. So I walked over to the car and it had my name on the dashboard. A rep came out a few minutes later, told me to look over the car, and then when satisfied sign the paperwork that was on the center console in a folder. I looked over the car with a fine tooth comb. The only thing out of alignment was on the front bumper, a small oval shape plug that covers the towing plug. The associate tried to fiddle with it, and then told me he was taking the car into the shop and the service dept will have it aligned. That took 5 minutes and all good. I had read horror stories about mis-aligned body parts. My car is white and it would easily show, everything was aligned perfectly, I could find no faults.

So once I signed the paperwork, he took it all inside, said I would get an email copy for my records. I was never rushed to get out, he told me to take my time. I was impressed. I paired up my phone, set the mirrors and my seat, and off I went.

On the way home I was hoping to find SiriusXM radio but could not find it on the display. I wonder if I have to download something, I am sure it is there in some form, I was under the impression that new cars get at least a 90 day trial. I thought the radio was lousy, that is the speaker system was just poor. My wife has a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek with the Harmon Kardon radio, the car is almost half the cost of a Model 3 and the radio blows this one away. Oh well. The car does have the wood trim in the doors. However, I am not a fan of how the wood trim looks, to me it just does not go with the rest of the dashboard. I used the adaptive cruise control on the way home on a highway, it was great. I did not have them put the front license plate bracket on, do not want that sticky stuff. And yes I drove off the lots with actual plates on the car. The actual registration will come in the mail, the temporary registration is taped to the window for now. The seats seemed comfy, not outstanding. I had about 310 miles of range in the car when I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on the odometer.

Important: I have a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, not buying the Tesla Wall Connector. In the trunk is a black bag with charging goodies. You get the power cord, a 120 volt adapter, and a J1772 adapter to use at non-Tesla fast chargers. You do NOT get the NEMA 14-50 adapter cord. I knew this in advance but I feel Tesla is screwing us. It is a sly way of having you buy the Tesla Wall Connector ($500). As of the date of this writing the adapter is sold out on-line, but the dealer in Mt. Kisco had them in stock and I bought one ($45). So know this in advance.

Also, I was going to rip off the aero hubs because they are ugly. However, on inspection Tesla has changed the design of them, so I had bought the center cap and lug cover kit, but returned it because the aero hubs have been redesigned and are much better looking than the prior ones. I confirmed they are a different design because when I went out to do an errand, an older M3 was parked near me and I was able to compare.

The rear plate is on the car, they put on the license plate holder with the Tesla name on it, ugly. I am getting the silicone one for the front and back, much better looking. Also did not have them put on the front license bracket which uses the adhesive tape. I ordered the Quick Bandit and should have that in a few days. I am taking a risk in NYS driving around with no front plate. It is in the trunk at the moment.

So that is some first impressions. Car handled very well on the way home. Very peppy, of course.
I ordered the same car back at the end of March. After ordering they let me look at inventory in the area - turned out they had the same car just with the white interior for $500 more had less than 10 miles on the ODO (at least before they delivered it to my house). So i took it and got the car in three days which was a complete suprise.

The mobile charger on 120V charged at 4-6 mph which I used while the NEMA 14-50 was being installed and waiting for my 14-50 mobile adapter plug to ship from Tesla. I had the electricians run higher gauge wiring so I can upgrade to the Tesla wall connector if I want in the future. That being said the NEMA 14-50 charges at 33-34 mph which is more than enough.

I'll echo what was said elsewhere about the radio. It sounds good to me and my wife remarked it sounded very good to her. I did have to adjust the equalizer settings however. I've also been using Sirius XM through my phone app when I feel like it. As I get the time I'm going to create a hanging mount for the charging cord as my garage forces me to park with the charge port in the center of the two car garage.

The only issue with the car I've had was my own fault. I damaged the passenger side front bumper and fog light scraping it against the side of the garage pulling around my daughters car. Did the same thing several years ago with my last car. I've since added a mirror into the garage so I can see that side of car and the garage wall while pulling in at the same time. Car goes in tomorrow for the repair so far the estimate is $2-3K and 3-5 days. We'll see how it goes.

The other issue I'll mention with the buying process was partly due to being in Texas. It wasn't stated on the Tesla site that Texas state taxes were not included when purchasing through their lender (although in retrospect I should have realized due to the financed price being a little lower than expected). They sent me the registration I needed to take to the DMV with only a day's margin to get it inspected and titled by the state or I would have had to pay some additional penalties after 30 days). So i had to pay the 6.25% sales tax and get it inspected to satisfy the TX DMV (Firestone charged me $7 for the inspection which included checking the lights and the horn.) If I had waited a day later I would have owed a few $100 more for penalties being late. The issue with Texas is without a dealer they treat all Tesla purchases as a purchase by an individual from out of state so you lose all the dealer perks like rolling the tax into the financing and letting them handle your registration. (All though Tesla did include a Texas based registration service if you didn't want to go to the DMV yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willy’sEV
I ordered the same car back at the end of March. After ordering they let me look at inventory in the area - turned out they had the same car just with the white interior for $500 more had less than 10 miles on the ODO (at least before they delivered it to my house). So i took it and got the car in three days which was a complete suprise.

The mobile charger on 120V charged at 4-6 mph which I used while the NEMA 14-50 was being installed and waiting for my 14-50 mobile adapter plug to ship from Tesla. I had the electricians run higher gauge wiring so I can upgrade to the Tesla wall connector if I want in the future. That being said the NEMA 14-50 charges at 33-34 mph which is more than enough.

I'll echo what was said elsewhere about the radio. It sounds good to me and my wife remarked it sounded very good to her. I did have to adjust the equalizer settings however. I've also been using Sirius XM through my phone app when I feel like it. As I get the time I'm going to create a hanging mount for the charging cord as my garage forces me to park with the charge port in the center of the two car garage.

The only issue with the car I've had was my own fault. I damaged the passenger side front bumper and fog light scraping it against the side of the garage pulling around my daughters car. Did the same thing several years ago with my last car. I've since added a mirror into the garage so I can see that side of car and the garage wall while pulling in at the same time. Car goes in tomorrow for the repair so far the estimate is $2-3K and 3-5 days. We'll see how it goes.

The other issue I'll mention with the buying process was partly due to being in Texas. It wasn't stated on the Tesla site that Texas state taxes were not included when purchasing through their lender (although in retrospect I should have realized due to the financed price being a little lower than expected). They sent me the registration I needed to take to the DMV with only a day's margin to get it inspected and titled by the state or I would have had to pay some additional penalties after 30 days). So i had to pay the 6.25% sales tax and get it inspected to satisfy the TX DMV (Firestone charged me $7 for the inspection which included checking the lights and the horn.) If I had waited a day later I would have owed a few $100 more for penalties being late. The issue with Texas is without a dealer they treat all Tesla purchases as a purchase by an individual from out of state so you lose all the dealer perks like rolling the tax into the financing and letting them handle your registration. (All though Tesla did include a Texas based registration service if you didn't want to go to the DMV yourself.
Congrats on your car and hope you enjoy it. I am so sorry about the damage on the front bumper, that would drive me nuts and want to get it fixed right away. Hey, they are not museum pieces so they are going to get scratched and nicked over time. I will have to accept and get used to that. I also have the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage, have not used it yet, but was happy to hear about the mileage per hour you are getting, I also think it is pretty good. In NYS they did all the title and registration for you and I was surprised to see the rear license plate on the car when I picked it up last Tuesday. After some adjustment to the radio as I earlier posted, I am finding it quite good. Although I have had SiriusXM radio in past cars, did not go for it because I do not want to control it by the phone when driving. In NYS it is illegal to do so, so I went with the premium Spotify and really love it. Have not found any kind of search button yet. Again, use your car in the best of health.

Reactions: DrLOAC
I find the premium stereo to be excellent EXCEPT in the area of bass. It's just weak. No one that has ever had a car with a REAL subwoofer could possibly be satisfied with the OEM subwoofer. It's just simple math. A decent subwoofer, especially in a sedan with a trunk needs a 10 in sub with minimum 300W RMS. The OEM sub is 8 in with 80W (dual coil). I installed a JL Audio 12 in sub with 400W RMS. Night and day difference. It's awesome that the rest of the system keeps up with my new sub though. Shame that Tesla cheaped out on that one component.