Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone order their car in March 2021 and received their car yet? I ordered my M3LR on March 10, 2021 and I had a June 16-30 delivery date. Today the date is missing and it just says 1-14 weeks. :-(
We ordered March 27 and I’m picking the car up tomorrow morning. We received a text Tuesday night, not expecting the car until the second or third week of June, and was given three days Thursday, Friday, or Saturday to pick up.

Did anyone order their car in March 2021 and received their car yet? I ordered my M3LR on March 10, 2021 and I had a June 16-30 delivery date. Today the date is missing and it just says 1-14 weeks. :-(
I'm with you, I'm a March order, no VIN yet. My page shows nothing, delivery time disappeared a few days ago, still nothing. For a technology company, their web presence is very poor, their communication non-existent. I'm just hoping the car makes up for these glaring shortfalls.

For everyone hand-wringing about the radar... Just don't take delivery until they figure it out and bring those features back.

From everything we can see Tesla basically had two options. The first option is to stop delivering cars altogether and wait for their suppliers to start getting them enough radar units again so they could install them in the cars and deliver them. The second option is to accelerate their already-in-motion plans to remove radar from the suite, deliver the cars now and get features working again as quickly as they can.

Tesla obviously chose option B - but you're still free to choose option A for yourself. You're no worse off if you just hold out on delivery than if Tesla decided to hold out on your behalf like frankly many other auto manufacturers are currently doing. Then you're free to see what happens with the new system and make a decision then.

For everyone hand-wringing about the radar... Just don't take delivery until they figure it out and bring those features back.

From everything we can see Tesla basically had two options. The first option is to stop delivering cars altogether and wait for their suppliers to start getting them enough radar units again so they could install them in the cars and deliver them. The second option is to accelerate their already-in-motion plans to remove radar from the suite, deliver the cars now and get features working again as quickly as they can.

Tesla obviously chose option B - but you're still free to choose option A for yourself. You're no worse off if you just hold out on delivery than if Tesla decided to hold out on your behalf like frankly many other auto manufacturers are currently doing. Then you're free to see what happens with the new system and make a decision then.

You are assuming option A will ever be an option. I would guess that if their "test" of being radar-less fails, they'll retrofit cars sold without them. If it works, there is no reason to include radars as they won't be used so waiting will not help you.

I have heard mention that even cars with radar currently will not use them (eventually). Like Elon said, when camera and radar disagree, which do you trust? Camera has way more definition and information than radar, so typically trusting that one makes sense to me. They'd only be there as a complete failsafe for a time when you KNOW you can't trust the camera... which is.... when? Can they not deal with glare from bright lights? Would be a huge oversight from Tesla...

Reactions: YieldFarmer
You are assuming option A will ever be an option. I would guess that if their "test" of being radar-less fails, they'll retrofit cars sold without them. If it works, there is no reason to include radars as they won't be used so waiting will not help you.

I have heard mention that even cars with radar currently will not use them (eventually). Like Elon said, when camera and radar disagree, which do you trust? Camera has way more definition and information than radar, so typically trusting that one makes sense to me. They'd only be there as a complete failsafe for a time when you KNOW you can't trust the camera... which is.... when? Can they not deal with glare from bright lights? Would be a huge oversight from Tesla...
I agree with you 100%.

Really option A was to wait for radar units and install them, keeping to their original timeline of removing radar functionality from the fleet. I also agree with your point about radar, everyone talks about "redundancy" but really a redundancy to a camera is another camera. If the camera fails the car can't drive on radar alone, so it's not a redundancy. Adding radar is sensor fusion, not redundancy, and it has its own set of pros and cons which Tesla has been working with for many years.

Anyway, my post wasn't really meant to bring all that up, mostly just for those who are worried about the feature loss and how long it might be until those features return. If you're really concerned about it, then just wait. You don't even have to cancel your order.

despite of all of these ups and downs some people may feel, i ask myself the following questions to determine whether its worth my while:
-does it STILL steer and keep you in lane during highway driving under non excessive speed (<120km/hr)? yes
-do you have to pay for gas? no
-charge at home? yes
-super fast? YES (to me atleast lol)
-can it maintain distance from another vehicle infront of me? yes
-does it have more than 1 camera? lol TESLAVISION duh. so yes.

a winner to me :). beats paying over 400$+/month for gas with the lexus i had.
still super excited. if there'll be limitations at the very beginning, so be it. im sure the radar vs camera fiasco is brought into light for the promise of a safer tomorrow. if not, "recall" or update. just gotta be careful for those who are leery of the idea.

besides, i am still driving a vehicle that doesnt have all of these techy stuff and i am arriving safe and alive. im sure u are as well ! 🍻

I’m right there with you! I’ve had 1-14 weeks since last week and I ordered March 9. I’ve been ghosted by my SA. I’m frustrated but excited at the same time.

Reactions: PerfectNumber
Ordered my M3 LR, red w/ black interior, on 5/12. Delivery window is now 6/11-6/30. I'm in south central PA, picking up in Devon, PA.
Got my wall connector installed, and I'm waiting on a VIN and pick-up date. Looks like things are starting to move, but the anticipation is agonizing!