Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your ordering a 50k car to be BUILT for you. And you are ordering it online and not at a dealership. I would think a 1-3 month wait "SHOULD" be expected. I dont care how Ford, Dodge, etc all do it. I would never expect to order a car to be built for me and expect it in a week lol. The SA's should have more info sure, but at the end of the day... ONCE you get the car, you will fall in love with it for a reason. Were all just excited and it makes the waiting SUCK. But people complaining about waiting a couple months I believe is a little rediculous.

Plus a 1-3 month wait is a fairly standard estimate for ordered cars. Every car my family has custom ordered has taken that long. My Camaro, my parents 2013 Equinox, 2016 Suburban, '07 BMW 335xi, 2002 BMW 330xi, etc. Actually the 2002 330xi took longer because we originally ordered a 2001 330xi, but our order wasn't scheduled for production until after the usual European vacation month so we had to wait for the model year change over which happened to occur over the time BMW did its mid-cycle refresh of the E46.

Heck if you bought from a low volume dealer( at least in the GM system), that dealer may have a small allocation of the vehicle so it may take longer to get your vehicle because that dealer doesn't have the allocation and GM prioritizes the higher volume dealers.

I am betting for those complaining, this is their first time ordering a car.

Reactions: Sandee3
The waiting doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is the estimated delivery dates changing daily or multiple times daily. The worst of it all is the fact that people who ordered way after I did are getting their cars before me. I know there are manufacturing and logistical factors to consider to make the process efficient for Tesla but the non-transparency doesn't really help. In the end though, we will all forget this last 2-3 months of agony while waiting for the car that we will for sure love.

Spot on! My SA at the time made it sound like I would just get paired with a car. It’s pretty damn clear California gets cars at the end of June. Just say that so we don’t waste our time.

Plus a 1-3 month wait is a fairly standard estimate for ordered cars. Every car my family has custom ordered has taken that long. My Camaro, my parents 2013 Equinox, 2016 Suburban, '07 BMW 335xi, 2002 BMW 330xi, etc. Actually the 2002 330xi took longer because we originally ordered a 2001 330xi, but our order wasn't scheduled for production until after the usual European vacation month so we had to wait for the model year change over which happened to occur over the time BMW did its mid-cycle refresh of the E46.

Heck if you bought from a low volume dealer( at least in the GM system), that dealer may have a small allocation of the vehicle so it may take longer to get your vehicle because that dealer doesn't have the allocation and GM prioritizes the higher volume dealers.

I am betting for those complaining, this is their first time ordering a car.

Not my first time ordering but the first time a company I order from doesn’t have a structure. It doesn’t go by order date itself. People ordering in May got their “custom” car way before March/April orders. Which at the end of the day could be cancellations. But it’s happened to where it’s local to those waiting since March and they don’t get the opportunity to get the car. It’s not the wait it’s the way the order system works. Don’t make it sound like we are just complaining outright without actually getting the clear picture of it. The update system is really bad but this isn’t a car company fully just yet. The cars are bad ass the buying experience for those that order 3 months ahead I guess is the worst. If you order in May and get your car right away it’s the luck of the draw and congrats. Just wish there was more structure on my end. At the end of the day I waited this long because I love the car and what Tesla is about. I would’ve canceled if I thought otherwise.

People are complaining about the process at which these cars roll out. The fact that delivery dates say May 25th and won’t arrive til the end of June. The fact that some people have waited less than a week and others 3 months.
Lots of things factor into who gets a car first. Color, wheels, location, order date. Maybe even more things that I am not thinking about. If people would just have the mindset of "im ordering a car to be custom made for me online, i should expect 1-3 months" it wouldnt drive you as crazy.

This is my 2nd time ordering a Tesla. First time I got the car 2 weeks EXACTLY from ordering back in March. This time I will take delivery about 1.5 months after ordering. You will get through this. They dont even have to give you an estimated ETA at all but they try and yes its mostly BS but I think most are just excited and the wait is driving them insane.

Reactions: Sandee3 and Stan930
Your ordering a 50k car to be BUILT for you. And you are ordering it online and not at a dealership. I would think a 1-3 month wait "SHOULD" be expected. I dont care how Ford, Dodge, etc all do it. I would never expect to order a car to be built for me and expect it in a week lol. The SA's should have more info sure, but at the end of the day... ONCE you get the car, you will fall in love with it for a reason. Were all just excited and it makes the waiting SUCK. But people complaining about waiting a couple months I believe is a little rediculous.
This exactly. I had to wait just as long to receive my Prius back in 2007. Once I agreed on the price with the dealer, it was a 6 week wait with zero communication from the dealership. Plus, my desired color (a new release, ordered at the beginning of the model year) wasn’t even guaranteed. If they could find it, I’d get it, but having them order exactly what I wanted was not an option. Plus, the dealership experience sucked. Even buying through the Costco Auto Program, which is supposed to be haggle free, there was still some level of negotiation and waiting on “the manager”. I still had to deal with the finance department and all their hard sell upsells. And when it came time to take delivery, I was given misinformation, leading me to have a couple hundred bucks in unnecessary and unexpected licensing expenses.

The process to manufacturer can take a while sure. The issue is there's no transparency. I havent heard from my SA at all since I ordered the car, not once. It's been a month. All we ask for is information. If the car has been built, When they plan on building it, that sort of thing. Aside from having to move money around for the down payment, a lot of us need to schedule things like tinting, PPF, etc. It's hard to do that without any information on how far along the process our car is at.

Reactions: Jaredspink
Hey guys just wanted to post an update. Just got off the phone with my SA after scheduling delivery and he was telling me if pickup is in jersey you’re looking at second to last week of June, that if you’re in NY waiting on a vin you can call your SA and ask them to transfer a car from NJ to NY since Ny orders are supposed to be now at the beginning of June

Not my first time ordering but the first time a company I order from doesn’t have a structure. It doesn’t go by order date itself. People ordering in May got their “custom” car way before March/April orders. Which at the end of the day could be cancellations. But it’s happened to where it’s local to those waiting since March and they don’t get the opportunity to get the car. It’s not the wait it’s the way the order system works. Don’t make it sound like we are just complaining outright without actually getting the clear picture of it. The update system is really bad but this isn’t a car company fully just yet. The cars are bad ass the buying experience for those that order 3 months ahead I guess is the worst. If you order in May and get your car right away it’s the luck of the draw and congrats. Just wish there was more structure on my end. At the end of the day I waited this long because I love the car and what Tesla is about. I would’ve canceled if I thought otherwise.

We just don't know the process in how VIN's are assigned. And we are not owed nor entitled to know that process outside of what they already tell us( based on location, order date, config, and profile completion).

It happens with other manufactures too. I have had people who ordered their Camaro after me get theirs built first and delivered before mine. That is because the dealer can already have an order in for the car and it was still in a stage where that order could be changed to the customers configuration without delaying its stage in the production schedule where mine was a fresh order into the system. I only know this because of forums like this. I didn't know how GM's car ordering system worked because my dealer told me. If you didn't come here and your car came in June as expected, your perception would be different.

Ordered: May 13
Blue with white interior / M3LR / 19" wheels
Been at: June 13 - June 30 the whole week
This morning: June 13 - June 23

Maybe?!? I've seen others that have tightened the window then a VIN shows up.

Either that or I'm being played again (and again and again)
I ordered around the same time and my EDD tightened up to June 11-21.

I chatted with Tesla to see if they could provide any additional info on my EDD or VIN. Website says 6/12-6/21. No VIN and ordered 4/30 to Ohio. Tesla basically said same window as website and then said ETA to VRL is 6/14. Not sure what VRL stands for but they said that's estimated date to arrive at pickup location. They said no VIN yet. So didn't really add any info other than this VRL date but not sure if that really means anything until I am closer.

Question about the 3 day / 100 mile "report any issues" window.

My only options are to go to Mt Kisco, NY to pickup the car and drive it home (385 miles) or have it transported to me ($750 cost).

I don't necessarily mind the drive but now that I'm reading about the 100 mile limit to report issues I'm wondering how that would work.