Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, I will stop checking tesla app multiple times a day
Though before accepting the Vision Agreement, you won't get the VIN as far as I know. In my case, I saw on the app "we are making changes to your order" message and "go to your account"

Once I went into my account and accepted the Vision Agreement, I saw the VIN displayed and later on received also the text message that my VIN was assigned.

Hope this helps.

Though before accepting the Vision Agreement, you won't get the VIN as far as I know. In my case, I saw on the app "we are making changes to your order" message and "go to your account"

Once I went into my account and accepted the Vision Agreement, I saw the VIN displayed and later on received also the text message that my VIN was assigned.

Hope this helps.
I cannot remember what I did. This is what I see on the portal
Next Steps
  • We will contact you to sign contracts and make final payment prior to delivery.
  • Prepare to drive and charge your Tesla by completing the Meet Your Tesla overview

Reactions: illiniknick
Quick question. Does the VIN get assigned when the car begins production, or once the car is completely built? My EDD is 1/28-2/10 but I haven’t been assigned a VIN. Does that mean the car MAY be in the process of being built, or has the build process not even started?
I believe it is when it gets scanned and shipped to the pickup location

Reactions: jecsun and Choncho
Hmm this is not the first case where someone ordered the same config later than me but got an earlier EDD, and my location (Bay Area) is supposed to be quicker…

I think I have seen you (or someone else) say this before (that you think the bay area is supposed to be quicker). I am not sure where you are getting that from. Historically, CA was last. The closer you were to the factory, the LATER you got your car, not the sooner. Tesla used to try to maximize deliveries in a particular quarter, and shipping to the east coast ( for example) takes longer.

They can make and deliver a car in the bay area almost the day it comes out the factory, vs shipping via train / truck etc to the east coast.

I am not following it closely enough to know if they still do that, but I would assume so, so CA = LATER not sooner, and Bay area = absolute last, not "quicker" should be your assumption.

Reactions: Doggerton
I think I have seen you (or someone else) say this before (that you think the bay area is supposed to be quicker). I am not sure where you are getting that from. Historically, CA was last. The closer you were to the factory, the LATER you got your car, not the sooner. Tesla used to try to maximize deliveries in a particular quarter, and shipping to the east coast ( for example) takes longer.

They can make and deliver a car in the bay area almost the day it comes out the factory, vs shipping via train / truck etc to the east coast.

I am not following it closely enough to know if they still do that, but I would assume so, so CA = LATER not sooner, and Bay area = absolute last, not "quicker" should be your assumption.
I see, that’s definitely a new angle to me (and likely closer to the fact). I assumed the build queue should roughly be the order queue, as in someone in NY who ordered in the same day will have the car built around the same day as mine. Then we both wait for however long it takes for delivery.

Reactions: PasadenaM3
@Maple00

You should also consider that delivery capacity must figure into it. There are only so many delivery centers and staff in California but CA has a huge number of Tesla buyers. So if a batch of cars is coming out of the factory but there is no capacity in CA to actually deliver them at the moment Tesla's not going to have those cars sit around. They'll put them on a truck or train going somewhere else. Logistics are complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvDoss and Maple00

This is correct. Bay area deliveries are usually end of quarter and that too in last week.
Our Model y was delivered on Sept 28th and that too someone from Tesla factory delivered it to our home. He calls me from outside my home and tells are you fine with taking the delivery today? No VIN, no text. SA was of no help.

So you think you had a bad Tesla day with your EDD getting moved for the upteenth time? Try this disappointment on for size...

M3LR delivery in Rockville, MD got moved-up yesterday from Saturday at 3:00pm to 2:00pm today because of the impending Mid-Atlantic storm. Little-to-no sleep last night, up at 0Dark30 getting my paperwork in order, formatting new USB drive for TeslaCam/BoomBox/Music, reviewing delivery checklist, etc. In to the "day job" early in anticipation of leaving at noon, meeting the family at the house, and then heading-out on the 1.5 hour drive outta the West Virginia hills and east on I-70/270 to the sprawling metropolis of Rockville.

At 10:00am my cell phone rings while I'm at work. "Tesla - Rockville, MD" on the caller ID. Schweet! Calling to confirm for 2:00pm... just hours away now!

Tesla -- "Good morning Mr. Rohn, this is XXXXXX from Tesla in Rockville, MD. I know you're in West Virginia. Have you left yet to make the drive here?"

Me -- No. Still at work but leaving around noon, and my wife, daughter and I should be there about 1:45pm. Excited about our new car!

Tesla -- "Well sir, glad we caught you before you left home. Your Model 3 is here, detailed and ready to go, but unfortunately, we received a bulletin overnight from our team in California indicating a new firmware update needs to be made to all Model 3's awaiting delivery in the U.S. and Canada prior to customers receiving their vehicles. We're awaiting details and instructions from our team but it's still very early on the West Coast. However, we need to put all of our Model 3 deliveries on-hold for at least today and possibly tomorrow until we can make the necessary updates. Saturday and Sunday should hopefully be good depending on the weather, so they're possibilities, but I'll need to reach back out to you with a definitive reschedule time once we get everything resolved with your firmware update. I'm very sorry about the inconvenience but wanted to get to you quickly knowing the distance you are from our Center."

Me -- OK (sad face that she obviously can't see). Well thanks for letting me know and keep me updated. I'll wait to hear back and hopefully it works-out that we can get down to you sometime over the weekend. Thanks. click... (followed by 15 minutes of boo-hoo and expletive-filled rants)

Still haven't received a call or text back with a definitive reschedule day/time for this weekend, but noticed my phone app updated mid-afternoon to reflect back to our original delivery date of Saturday at 3:00pm. If I don't hear from them by mid-afternoon tomorrow (Friday), I'll try to call or text and see if the Saturday 1/29 3:00pm day/time in the app is a "go" or not. Saturday's high temps after the storm look to be in the low 20's with 30-40mph wind gusts, so that thorough exterior inspection I had planned should be a real joy LOL! What a kick in the sack. Now I know exactly how Charlie Brown feels every time Lucy yanks that damn football away ;-)

Curious to know if this -- or something similar -- happened to anyone else on the forum scheduled to take delivery today?
I'm taking delivery you would say today at least for me. I'm in CT. I pick up at 2:30pm haven't had anything said to me about delaying for a firmware. I believe I'll be getting the Intel chip though maybe it has something to do with the new chip?