Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funny thing is (and I know I'm very much the exception), I actually love the negotiation part of buying a car. I'm really good at it and have put a lot of research into how to play the game. I've purchased 3 cars and 2 RVs, and walked away with killer deals on each. It's a very satisfying feeling knowing that you out preyed the predator.

I actually missed that aspect with buying a Tesla. Took the sport out of it.

This. And I found it works when selling too. I sold my 4 year old RWD Model 3 with 30k miles to a dealer for $47k. I didn't want the hassle of selling to a private party but I didn't want to leave more money on the table than I had to. The dealer started off around Tesla's (and others') offers at $43k and in under an hour I'd negotiated them up to $47k. For me an extra $4,000 was absolutely worth an hour of my time! Others may value their time differently.

The last time I checked the dealer had lowered the price of my old car to just $700 more than they paid me for it almost 2 months ago. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

Last edited:
Reactions: danig
This. And I found it works when selling too. I sold my 4 year old RWD Model 3 with 30k miles to a dealer for $47k. I didn't want the hassle of selling to a private party but I didn't want to leave more money on the table than I had to. The dealer started off around Tesla's (and others') offers at $43k and in under an hour I'd negotiated them up to $47k. For me an extra $4,000 was absolutely worth an hour of my time! Others may value their time differently.

The last time I checked the dealer had lowered the price of my old car to just $700 more than they paid me for it almost 2 months ago. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.
I am simply unable to understand what makes a dealer stick to the deal so much so that they are willing to go for a loss, or almost a loss.

M3LR / MSM / Black Int / 19" / Fremont
OD: 1/13
EDD #1 (1/13): 3/10-3/31
EDD #2 (1/19): 2/10-3/10
EDD #3 (2/4): 2/7-2/21

Second guessing my choice to go with 19" wheels vs. aeros. SA said that switching now would push EDD to end of March. Anyone have any experience with either set of wheels to sway my decision?

Second guessing my choice to go with 19" wheels vs. aeros. SA said that switching now would push EDD to end of March. Anyone have any experience with either set of wheels to sway my decision?
For a daily driver I have found anything more than 18” to be a bit more rough than I would like. Not just a Tesla. Pretty much every car.

Reactions: Paul4343

I have a lengthy commute on rather dodgy highways... lots of bumps and potholes. I've gone through so many rims due to my low profile tires. I want to cry. Between the tires not handling bumps well and wearing quickly, and the $$$ rims, I can honestly say there is nothing on earth that will tempt me to buy low profile tires ever again.
You can count me as 1 strong vote for aero tires, even though they're a bit nerdy looking.

Yep. I ordered on 1/4, and hasn't changed since about 1/7 or so. (EDD is 2/20-3/20) I'm really hoping that I reduced to a 2 week window soon... I'd be thrilled to see any movement in a positive direction at this point.
If it makes you feel any better I ordered 5 days before you and I went from a month to 2 weeks, to a better 2 weeks, back to a month and now I'm in a 2 week window again. Not sure any of it really matters at this point. I think they might have someone behind the scenes that just rolls some dice and gives you an ETA.

If it makes you feel any better I ordered 5 days before you and I went from a month to 2 weeks, to a better 2 weeks, back to a month and now I'm in a 2 week window again. Not sure any of it really matters at this point. I think they might have someone behind the scenes that just rolls some dice and gives you an ETA.
I think you're totally right. What I have noticed, though, is that the first month long estimate tends to be correct, more often than not. Many people take delivery towards the end of that original month long window. This is what I'm hoping for......

Reactions: cmy4x4

Agree with Enemji's post. I had 18's on my last M3 and given some road conditions around me would rather have more rubber and give between me and the road than less. A decent sized pot hole might do nothing to a truck tire because there is so much sidewall and give, I know it's only an inch but for the ride and minimizing the chances of ruining a rim, I went 18 again on my new M3 to be picked up tomorrow. I like the look of the 19"s better but not personally I prefer more rubber on the tires than less... Check out this YouTube video as food for thought

Last edited:
San Antonio - 173xxx VIN received this morning!!

Ordered date: 12/14

Initial EDD: March 2022

2nd EDD (12/19): 1/25 - 2/22

3rd EDD (1/26): 2/9 - 3/9

4th EDD (1/28): 2/14 - 2/28

5th EDD & VIN received (2/8): 2/20-2/24

I don't know any of the details on the hardware yet. I checked my app this morning and it wanted to connect to my Bluetooth. My heart instantly started racing and it felt like I already had my coffee in me. I'm hopeful that the car will have the AMD chip and keeping my fingers crossed about any other upgrade.

I have a lengthy commute on rather dodgy highways... lots of bumps and potholes. I've gone through so many rims due to my low profile tires. I want to cry. Between the tires not handling bumps well and wearing quickly, and the $$$ rims, I can honestly say there is nothing on earth that will tempt me to buy low profile tires ever again.
You can count me as 1 strong vote for aero tires, even though they're a bit nerdy looking.
perhaps you already know this, but the aero covers are removable, revealing a rather nice looking wheel underneath. Add one of the many wheel hub cover kits, and it looks sharp. On my last M3, I removed them as soon as I got home, never put them back on.

I am simply unable to understand what makes a dealer stick to the deal so much so that they are willing to go for a loss, or almost a loss.
I have car salesmen in the family. Every dollar closer to the deal is more $ in their pocket. That said, many dealers now use no-haggle pricing...the price is the price. It really is the way to go. Haggling is just a colossal waste of everyone's time and any buyer should pay the same price for the same vehicle as another buyer...

Reactions: FherPra and enemji
San Antonio - 173xxx VIN received this morning!!

Ordered date: 12/14

Initial EDD: March 2022

2nd EDD (12/19): 1/25 - 2/22

3rd EDD (1/26): 2/9 - 3/9

4th EDD (1/28): 2/14 - 2/28

5th EDD & VIN received (2/8): 2/20-2/24

I don't know any of the details on the hardware yet. I checked my app this morning and it wanted to connect to my Bluetooth. My heart instantly started racing and it felt like I already had my coffee in me. I'm hopeful that the car will have the AMD chip and keeping my fingers crossed about any other upgrade.

Figured I'd share my overall timeline as I prepare for delivery:

OD: 11/28
EDD1: February (from the web site the day of order)
EDD2: 1/16-2/19
EDD3: 12/26-12/31
EDD4: 1/12-2/9
EDD5:. 1/6-1/20
EDD6: 1/15-2/15
EDD7: 2/1-3/1
EDD8: 2/7-2/21

VIN Date: 1/31
Email to schedule delivery: 2/2
Delivery Window Given: 2/14-2/17
Delivery Date Chosen: 2/14

I am sharing this for a couple of reasons. First, as you can see a lot of the date changes were just garbage but at the end of the day, they held to the original timeline of “Feb”. Second, to give hope to the people that feel like they’re getting jerked around a bit by all the changes….look I did the whole refresh 10x a day also. Don’t kill yourself…it WILL come 😊