Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if the gas prices have people flocking to Tesla since other manufacturers aren’t taking orders. That would explain the huge gap in the OD-EDD.
Oh, absolutely. Since the invasion of Ukraine, Tesla has seen a doubling of order volume in some part of the US. I think there was already a lot of pent-up demand for buying a new car after two years of COVID, and this whole gas price situation seems to be pushing people to go electric and to do it now. It's a bit of a perfect storm for Tesla. Not so much for the other BEV manufacturers because they just can't build them yet. At least not in volume.

Note that the average wait time for Model 3 deliveries (according to the spreadsheet) has been 51 days. Given the same production environment, a doubling of orders is going to mean a doubling of that average wait time. However, with the Austin, Texas Gigafactory coming online on April 7, the production environment will change dramatically. Eventually. I have no idea how quickly Austin will come up to speed on production of each model. All we have so far is that the initial work has been on starting the Model Y lines.

If anyone hasn't looked at the web site for current estimated delivery dates, they continue their march into the future. A base Long Range Model 3 is June to August. The unoptioned Model Y is all the way to January 2023 to April 2023. All dates come in pretty dramatically if you're willing to add full self driving.

Oh, absolutely. Since the invasion of Ukraine, Tesla has seen a doubling of order volume in some part of the US. I think there was already a lot of pent-up demand for buying a new car after two years of COVID, and this whole gas price situation seems to be pushing people to go electric and to do it now. It's a bit of a perfect storm for Tesla. Not so much for the other BEV manufacturers because they just can't build them yet. At least not in volume.

Note that the average wait time for Model 3 deliveries (according to the spreadsheet) has been 51 days. Given the same production environment, a doubling of orders is going to mean a doubling of that average wait time. However, with the Austin, Texas Gigafactory coming online on April 7, the production environment will change dramatically. Eventually. I have no idea how quickly Austin will come up to speed on production of each model. All we have so far is that the initial work has been on starting the Model Y lines.

If anyone hasn't looked at the web site for current estimated delivery dates, they continue their march into the future. A base Long Range Model 3 is June to August. The unoptioned Model Y is all the way to January 2023 to April 2023. All dates come in pretty dramatically if you're willing to add full self driving.
They are already building Model Ys in Austin and loading them on trucks for delivery.

OD: 2/19
M3LR black, black, aero, no FSD
Initial EDD: 5/24 - 6/21
EDD on 2/26: 5/12 - 6/9
Replying with my original details because I don’t have the signature ability yet.

Texted my SA yesterday because I haven’t seen a change in my EDD in a while to make sure I had everything complete. Got a call within 10 minutes from them ensuring I was good to go. I did ask about the lack of April EDD and mentioned GigaTexas opening and he said I was partially right but couldn’t get into specifics. He said he wouldn’t be surprised to see EDD moving into April after the grand opening. Take it for what you will, but I’m glad to have responsively SA.

They are already building Model Ys in Austin and loading them on trucks for delivery.
Yep. They're in production. The question is one of throughput. Here's a comment about the Berlin Gigafactory.

"That number will pale in comparison to the planned output of 500,000 cars annually from the plant, but Musk warned that this will take a few years to reach. For the first few weeks of production, Tesla expects about 2,000 cars to be assembled before ramping up to 1,000 cars per week after six weeks then 5,000 per week by the end of 2022. However, knowing Tesla and Musk, we'll have to wait and see as many expect these targets to slide a bit.."

Any idea about what "Multi-Coat" means on exterior colors Red & Pearl White as it is not mentioned on other colors?

I initially thought its adding additional layer of paint comparatively and thus $2000 more on Red but it is mentioned the same for Pearl White too which is free of course 😄.... so may be its just a naming ???

BTW I have my order in RED / black interior / aero 18 and No FSD (OD = 2/10 and EDD = May 4 - Jun 1 , pick up location Mt.Kisco, NY).

Any idea about what "Multi-Coat" means on exterior colors Red & Pearl White as it is not mentioned on other colors?

I initially thought its adding additional layer of paint comparatively and thus $2000 more on Red but it is mentioned the same for Pearl White too which is free of course 😄.... so may be its just a naming ???

BTW I have my order in RED / black interior / aero 18 and No FSD (OD = 2/10 and EDD = May 4 - Jun 1 , pick up location Mt.Kisco, NY).
I’m interested in this too. Of note, the guy at the place doing my ceramic coating said the red Tesla color is one of his favorites to do paint correction/ceramic on bc it just really pops. Not sure if he was blowing smoke up my a$$ or not though.

I’m interested in this too. Of note, the guy at the place doing my ceramic coating said the red Tesla color is one of his favorites to do paint correction/ceramic on bc it just really pops. Not sure if he was blowing smoke up my a$$ or not though.
This is referencing the fact that there is an additional layer of the paint color of your choice prior to clear coat being applied. The exact reason behind the additional cost I’m not sure of. Might be attributed to the fact white paint is cheaper in relation to the overall cost of red, blue, black, etc.

This is referencing the fact that there is an additional layer of the paint color of your choice prior to clear coat being applied. The exact reason behind the additional cost I’m not sure of. Might be attributed to the fact white paint is cheaper in relation to the overall cost of red, blue, black, etc.
More specifically there’s a base layer primer, color of your choice, secondary layer that may have more of a metallic flake addition to it or “pearl” affect THEN the clear coat. Just to clear up confusion.

Just joined the forum, and after deliberations on build, placed an order for 3 LR in white with the 19's and no FSD. Lost a little sleep over the P vs LR debate, but it will be a daily driver, I'm stridently anti- bent rim, and I have a Lotus Elise and a bunch of motorcycles to beat up at track days and backroads.

By deliberating for a few weeks, the price went up twice and the delivery went from May to July...until I finalized the order, and it moved to Aug- Oct. Yes, I'm a victim of the 'no FSD, you wait' scheme. The Performance indicates May, but I'm sticking to the plan...for now. Just wondering what the typical experience is regarding delivery dates. Do they typically compress, are they optimistic/ pessimistic, or should I just expect the car to come when the spirts move it to be thus?
So, an update. Rather than wait until the now August- October window, I snagged a Tesla Demo M3 LR in red, with under 400 miles, tat showed up in 'Existing Inventory' yesterday and it's on the way to Princeton from PA...picking it up next Wednesday! Quite the surprise and couldn't be happier. Smooth transaction so far.

Multi-coat paint question

c241b5a1-bb33-4524-aabf-d54e92b1b1eb-jpeg.531467

Last edited:
Reactions: Junior86
For the "few" of us in Delaware (and maybe for those in states where Tesla does not handle title transfer), Tesla should give us a temporary tag and we keep our current license plates. Then head on down to our DMV to the Titles area and they will handle the rest. I called Delaware DMV yesterday and confirmed I can keep my old plates and transfer them to the new Tesla.

Also, big bonus here, Delaware has a Document Fee Refund Form that basically credits the sale of a vehicle within 60 days Before or After Titling Date against the Document Fee for titling a new vehicle in Delaware. For those who may not know, Delaware has no sales tax, however, they have a "document fee" of 4.25% of the total vehicle sale price when you purchase a new vehicle as a Delaware resident.

So, if I sell my old car to say, Carvana for $19,000 before I pickup my Tesla, I can deduct $19,000 from Tesla's total sale price and that reduced amount is what I have to pay 4.25% of when I go to the DMV to title my new Tesla. It's Form MV347.

I'm from Dover, DE and ordered on 03/02 with a delivery to Cherry Hill with a current EDD of May 15 - June 12. We were told when we test drove at Christiana Mall we would be able to retain our tag from our current vehicle. Thank you for the link to theMV347 form. I was not aware of it. We plan on either selling the car we are replacing to a site such as Carvana or trading into Tesla.

Reactions: jpaychek