Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat paint question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The White and Red paint colors are labeled 'multi-coat'.

Does that labeling imply anything about how those cars are painted? Like, are there more coats of paint than the other paint colors not labeled multi-coat? Or is that 'multi-coat' labeling (or lack of 'multi-coat' labeling) essentially meaningless?

Multi coat paint actually has another layer before the clear. There is a very small increase in cost and labor but more room to extract additional charge to the end customer. Often referred to as Pearl. Painting the multi coat white is basically a nonmetallic white base-coat, then a metallic white and then the clear. You basically use 2 separate paints then the traditional clear.

C241B5A1-BB33-4524-AABF-D54E92B1B1EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you Sunshine State. Since I am completely ignorant about these things, I found your answer informative and interesting.

As related to Tesla model 3 & Y paint options, I find it interesting that the least expensive paint option (White, $0) and most expensive option (Red +$2,000) are multi-coat while while the other three, non-multi-coat colors, are +$1,000.

Does the 'optional Multicoat (5-20 µm)' layer have meaningful advantages to be considered when choosing a Tesla paint color?

Thank you Sunshine State. Since I am completely ignorant about these things, I found your answer informative and interesting.

As related to Tesla model 3 & Y paint options, I find it interesting that the least expensive paint option (White, $0) and most expensive option (Red +$2,000) are multi-coat while while the other three, non-multi-coat colors, are +$1,000.

Does the 'optional Multicoat (5-20 µm)' layer have meaningful advantages to be considered when choosing a Tesla paint color?
It’s just about appearance. The base multi coat white color was an up charge until they made it free. Not really logical from a material labor standpoint because it’s a premium color but there are other reasons. I bought two new red Performance Teslas last year but got the color upcharge for free. If I was paying I’d have a hard time giving the extra $$ for the red over the white. I own a body shop and the red color costs a little more than the white but they are both multi stage so the same labor. I believe the reason for the free white is to get more buyers to take the white because white hides defects better than other colors. Tesla paint quality is very poor so the more white the fewer complaints.

Hello, I have a question,

Seems like the red color of Y is different then the 3 and S/X, isnt it? Just my personal taste; I dont like the model 3 red, but it looks like the Y red is different, and to me it looks really good.

It’s just about appearance. The base multi coat white color was an up charge until they made it free. Not really logical from a material labor standpoint because it’s a premium color but there are other reasons. I bought two new red Performance Teslas last year but got the color upcharge for free. If I was paying I’d have a hard time giving the extra $$ for the red over the white. I own a body shop and the red color costs a little more than the white but they are both multi stage so the same labor. I believe the reason for the free white is to get more buyers to take the white because white hides defects better than other colors. Tesla paint quality is very poor so the more white the fewer complaints.

I agree especially because black, the previous base color, is the worst for showing poor metal work, poor prep, and poor paint work. A question for Sunshine State - The painting seems to be highly automated: why do you think Tesla can’t get it right?

Last edited:
Hello, I have a question,

Seems like the red color of Y is different then the 3 and S/X, isnt it? Just my personal taste; I dont like the model 3 red, but it looks like the Y red is different, and to me it looks really good.
It’s the same paint code for each current model so the colors are the same, I believe. The Tesla website is terrible for actual color representation. I love the blue color the way it appears on the website because it reminds me of a Cobalt Blue Porsche I had but the actual Tesla color looks nothing like the pictures.

I found the blue stunning on the website and under the special lights at the showroom. Out in the wild, I find it darker and more muted - nice, but not as stunning. I ordered the red.
Exactly why we chose red as well. Wasn’t a fave, but the best (IOO) of what is on offer. Not worth the extra coin from a value perspective, but mos def from an intrinsic one. We love it, even with its blemishes.

ß

I originally ordered our PMY in MSM but when my wife saw a neighbors new RED Model S she went GA GA. It was stunning in the sun. So 8 days before my EDD I changed it to RED. Got lucky I guess as the next day my VIN a popped in. My PMY departed the factory on Aug 14th enroute to Bloomington IL and my EDDs are 25-29 Aug.

BTW my fiends Model S was FLAWLESS, the next day he took in for a FULL PPF. Fingers crossed my Y is the same.