Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it true the 1st renewal registration fee can be upwards of $600-$800? Or maybe more? I'm in Cali. My neighbor works for DMV and she said she sees alot of Tesla registration past due payments O_O
According to the order documentation I have the total DMV fees will be $683. I'm in California, but I did not get a vanity plate or anything like that. I don't know if subsequent years will have slightly lower fees or not.

Reactions: Junior86
Is it true the 1st renewal registration fee can be upwards of $600-$800? Or maybe more? I'm in Cali. My neighbor works for DMV and she said she sees alot of Tesla registration past due payments O_O
$720 here in Washington State (Puget Sound area) as listed in my order details. I am not certain whether that includes the $150 EV fee which I expect to see every year.

I think there might be some kind of quarterly trend where generally at the beginning of each quarter they get rolled out slowly, then they ramp up towards the middle of the quarter, then they start slowing down again towards the end. That's what seemed to happen for this Q1 at least.View attachment 790635
Can you please explain the number of VINs per week? What do those numbers represent? Is that per location?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 3.22.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 3.22.30 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 129
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Can you please explain the number of VINs per week? What do those numbers represent? Is that per location?
That screenshot was taken from the 'Teslike Model 3 Survey & Order Tracker #1' spreadsheet where people fill in their order information. Based on that data, this graph was generated to show how many VINs were assigned each week. This is not limited to a certain location, this is based on all the data in the spreadsheet.

Looks like that person ordered Feb 3rd - 62 days from order to VIN assignment, located in CO. They updated the spreadsheet, good job to you, soon to be M3P owner! 😆🤣
It's so weird how the VINs are assigned. Do they blindfold the VIN givers each morning and play Pin the VIN on the donkey-shaped map of the US? That person ordered almost a full month before me and yet they just got assigned a VIN. I ordered on 2/28 and took delivery 29 days later. I guess geographic proximity has no bearing as they live a heck of a lot closer to Fremont than I do (Tennessee vs Colorado).🧐

It's so weird how the VINs are assigned. Do they blindfold the VIN givers each morning and play Pin the VIN on the donkey-shaped map of the US? That person ordered almost a full month before me and yet they just got assigned a VIN. I ordered on 2/28 and took delivery 29 days later. I guess geographic proximity has no bearing as they live a heck of a lot closer to Fremont than I do (Tennessee vs Colorado).🧐
It does certainly feel like they play some kind of VIN lottery. I would actually argue that what's weird here is the fact that you were able to miraculously take delivery of yours ONLY 28 days after ordering. Not many people have been as fortunate as yourself. Maybe someone with your exact same config cancelled and you were next in the queue? Whatever the reason may be, congrats on the extremely short wait time. The rest of us will have to patiently/painfully wait.

Reactions: Spivas
Yes, that is so bizarre. You probably received someone's cancelled order I'm guessing? Seems like the only reason that would make sense

I ordered on 2/15 in Central FL. I think my EDD has changed once. My EDD has been sitting at 4/27 - 6/1 for a while now. Not sure if a steady EDD is a good thing or bad.
2/17 Central FL also.
My EDD has changed 3 times; currently sitting at 4/25 - 5/23 (4 week window). The EDD has improved each time. Originally it was June 14 - July 12

Reactions: SCTes1aMan
Anyone have knowledge on Tesla leasing and their mileage limits? I WFH so 10k is perfectly fine but just curious about going over your limit at the end of lease term.
I am curious to know your calculations as to how leasing will be more beneficial to you than financing?

How I am looking at it:
Lease 3 years: 4500+629*36 months (standard numbers from US website) = ($27144) and then you return the vehicle
Loan 3 year: 4500+ 801*36 months (standard numbers from US website - 72 month term) = ($33,336)
assuming 5% depreciation rate on tesla (right now its a negative depreciation but taking a normal times approach for this calculation) Ending book value = $48,637 (starting at $57200) from this subtract (29,207.93) that is owed to the bank, so you are left with $19429.07 adding this to the cost you already spent ($33,336)
Your total cost just for the car over 3 years (13906.93)

Would cost you half as much as leasing. Now my numbers are very conservative 3% financing (have heard of 1.5 on the street) negative depreciation - so a bad case scenario is -13K real cost may end up being much much lesser. Leasing is guaranteed to cost 27k.

Maybe my math is incorrect - what is your rationale?

I am curious to know your calculations as to how leasing will be more beneficial to you than financing?

How I am looking at it:
Lease 3 years: 4500+629*36 months (standard numbers from US website) = ($27144) and then you return the vehicle
Loan 3 year: 4500+ 801*36 months (standard numbers from US website - 72 month term) = ($33,336)
assuming 5% depreciation rate on tesla (right now its a negative depreciation but taking a normal times approach for this calculation) Ending book value = $48,637 (starting at $57200) from this subtract (29,207.93) that is owed to the bank, so you are left with $19429.07 adding this to the cost you already spent ($33,336)
Your total cost just for the car over 3 years (13906.93)

Would cost you half as much as leasing. Now my numbers are very conservative 3% financing (have heard of 1.5 on the street) negative depreciation - so a bad case scenario is -13K real cost may end up being much much lesser. Leasing is guaranteed to cost 27k.

Maybe my math is incorrect - what is your rationale?
The leasing numbers didn’t make sense to me. High interest rate/MF, residual value is not publicized but likely artificially low based on the payment numbers, and the kicker is NO option to buy out at the end of the lease. You MUST hand the car back to Tesla.

Unless the couple hundred dollar difference in monthly payment is going to make or break you (in which case you are likely way over extending yourself buying a new Tesla), financing comes out better in the end even if you plan to get rid of it in 2-3 years. Especially with used Tesla values being so high (even pre-pandemic they had much better resale than other makes).

Reactions: rickvancouver