Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edd changed from 5-5/5-9 to 5-6/5-8 called the guy at the local service center and supposedly it’s still in transit. Don’t understand how it takes so long from Fremont to Fresno, even with stops. I was alllowed to set pick up up date for Monday but he doesn’t thinks it will be here still! He think Tue-Thur. Vin was assigned yesterday
Unbelievable. I just setup delivery for this weekend. I figured that my car was at my local service center already and that's why I was able to schedule a pickup time.

Fremont to Fresno is a 3 hour drive. Not sure what is taking so long.

Since April 25th when I received my VIN, I've been in the same holding pattern of a 5 day window. Here's what I've learned via my near daily calls to the SA team:

1. They have a lot more info than they are willing to divulge. Be pleasant with them and you might get some extra crumbs to hold you over until delivery day.
2. Sooooo many different responses.
-Once I was able to confirm that my car had arrived at its final destination on the 26th they told me it needed an inspection and would just be a couple of days.
-Couple days later I was informed that there is a staffing shortage there and that they are closed Sun/Mon as a result. All of the staff shortage is in the service dept where all this pre-delivery inspection, corrections, or adding back in of missing components is done. Considering applying for a job to speed this up now.
-About a week later I was told that it actually needed a software update, which they would not permit me to do myself when I asked.
-I visited the dealership (or whatever it's called) a couple days ago and the lot was FULL of cars, I'm sorry I didn't think to look closer at any of the vehicles for any charging port or headlight issues (I just learned of both these today) but I did notice that most of them were brand new cars without license plates on them. The service center way in the back seemed to be humming along, but inside the showroom it was just a single SA sitting in this giant room by himself.
-On this visit, the SA (Frank) told me that the software update is a regulatory thing and is technically considered a recall, but people who already have cars will get theirs OTA but cars that haven't been delivered must be updated by Tesla before they can be delivered. I believe he said the specific issue was with the modem firmware, but now I am second-guessing myself as I spent the entire hour bus ride back to Seattle searching the web for a recall that fit the description.
3. My car was "born" on 4/22 but I got my VIN on 4/25 and it arrived at the dealership a day after that. The rep also confirmed the Ryzen chip for me (should be everyone now) but didn't know about the headlights so I just text the number instead. Still waiting for that response. This rep also said it was a combination of everything listed above causing the delays but maintained that it was just the software update that mine needed.
4. One of the times I called in, it asked me to type my zip code to verify before I spoke with anyone and the rep on that day was actually in my city, so that was odd.
5. In case no one noticed, you don't really have an assigned SA. They spoof a number into your local area code but if you text it, it is exactly the same as calling in and waiting for the next available person to help you. From the same phone number, I have received texts from the person who took my reservation, a phone rep and also the dude Frank from the other location where my car is waiting more patiently than I am.

Hope this helps in some way :p

Just wondering if anyone had or will be driving 200+ miles on the car they are going to trade in to the pick up location. Is the extra added mileage did/will affect the trade in value? Did someone had their value adjusted on pick up day and how it can be handled with financing already in place (certified check in hand or wire completed}?
Don't worry about it. The people at the delivery location are just responsible for handling the process of turning your car over to you. Whatever the deal is that you worked up with Tesla is the deal you'll get at time of delivery. The Tesla employees don't reappraise the car, originate loans or write insurance policies. It's just a paperwork processing step to satisfy state and local laws. In some states, they don't even have to mess around with paperwork (my state does require paperwork and lots of signatures),

Source: I traded in a car to get my Model 3.

Oh, and the Tysons Corner Virginia location has a bunch of cars in the bay. I couldn't see into the bay for any details like headlamp type or tape on the charging ports, but they're in there. Unrelated, there is also a whole mess of cars at the service center to be serviced (a different area).

Since April 25th when I received my VIN, I've been in the same holding pattern of a 5 day window. Here's what I've learned via my near daily calls to the SA team:

1. They have a lot more info than they are willing to divulge. Be pleasant with them and you might get some extra crumbs to hold you over until delivery day.
-Once I was able to confirm that my car had arrived at its final destination on the 26th they told me it needed an inspection and would just be a couple of days.
-Couple days later I was informed that there is a staffing shortage there and that they are closed Sun/Mon as a result. All of the staff shortage is in the service dept where all this pre-delivery inspection, corrections, or adding back in of missing components is done. Considering applying for a job to speed this up now.
-About a week later I was told that it actually needed a software update, which they would not permit me to do myself when I asked.
-I visited the dealership (or whatever it's called) a couple days ago and the lot was FULL of cars, I'm sorry I didn't think to look closer at any of the vehicles for any charging port or headlight issues (I just learned of both these today) but I did notice that most of them were brand new cars without license plates on them. The service center way in the back seemed to be humming along, but inside the showroom it was just a single SA sitting in this giant room by himself.
-On this visit, the SA (Frank) told me that the software update is a regulatory thing and is technically considered a recall, but people who already have cars will get theirs OTA but cars that haven't been delivered must be updated by Tesla before they can be delivered. I believe he said the specific issue was with the modem firmware, but now I am second-guessing myself as I spent the entire hour bus ride back to Seattle searching the web for a recall that fit the description.
3. My car was "born" on 4/22 but I got my VIN on 4/25 and it arrived at the dealership a day after that. The rep also confirmed the Ryzen chip for me (should be everyone now) but didn't know about the headlights so I just text the number instead. Still waiting for that response. This rep also said it was a combination of everything listed above causing the delays but maintained that it was just the software update that mine needed.
4. One of the times I called in, it asked me to type my zip code to verify before I spoke with anyone and the rep on that day was actually in my city, so that was odd.
5. In case no one noticed, you don't really have an assigned SA. They spoof a number into your local area code but if you text it, it is exactly the same as calling in and waiting for the next available person to help you. From the same phone number, I have received texts from the person who took my reservation, a phone rep and also the dude Frank from the other location where my car is waiting more patiently than I am.

Another Seattlelite! Which SC did you go to?

I posted last week that I actually met my SA when we went for a test drive. I was stunned. So at least some people have an actual, local SA.

Don't worry about it. The people at the delivery location are just responsible for handling the process of turning your car over to you. Whatever the deal is that you worked up with Tesla is the deal you'll get at time of delivery. The Tesla employees don't reappraise the car, originate loans or write insurance policies. It's just a paperwork processing step to satisfy state and local laws. In some states, they don't even have to mess around with paperwork (my state does require paperwork and lots of signatures),

Source: I traded in a car to get my Model 3.
Are they even looking at the car to make sure it was not misrepresented conditionwise (no check engine light is on, no hidden damage, etc}?

Are they even looking at the car to make sure it was not misrepresented conditionwise (no check engine light is on, no hidden damage, etc}?
Nothing. That said, I'm sure it gets checked later, and if I bring a car with an egregious difference in the claimed condition and the presented condition I'm sure that I'm going to hear from their lawyers shortly afterwards. I think people who can afford to drop $50,000 on a car understand that.

Nothing. That said, I'm sure it gets checked later, and if I bring a car with an egregious difference in the claimed condition and the presented condition I'm sure that I'm going to hear from their lawyers shortly afterwards. I think people who can afford to drop $50,000 on a car understand that.
Not planning to cheat anyone, just want it to be one thing less to worry about come the delivery date.

Reactions: Panel Gaps
Tried calling the 888 number to see if they had any updates for my order (last time one of the guys mentioned he was seeing May 29th), but I got transferred automatically to my local Tesla store versus the normal agents. This is like the 4th time it's happened in the past month or two. Wondering if they just auto transfer my number now since I was calling so frequently in March lmao.
it depends on the zipcode you provide when you dial the 888 number. Try providing a zipcode a little outside your area (not too much).

Typically what happens is, if a local tesla SC is present in the zipcode or very close to the zipcode you enter, you get routed to them In that case, you dont hear the 'we are busy let us schedule a call back'. If you are away from, you get routed to the main office and you hear 'we are busy let us schedule a call back'

Reactions: BaconLord47
And just like that! I'm done!!!

Seamless pickup today. Wandered the lot before my appointment checking each VIN looking for mine. Tons of cars on the lot waiting to be delivered today - and ~50% of the ones I looked at before I found mine had the old lights. Luckily for me, mine has the matrix lights. For those keeping track - my VIN range is 244xxx.

Paint and glass were perfect. Panel gaps weren't 100% but overall generally happy with the quality. For some reason the door handles on the rear doors weren't fully flush, but that was symmetrical on both sides and the same for every single car I checked today - so I decided to just leave it be. I may mention it to mobile service when I get my Homelink installed though.

Wandered the lot before my appointment checking each VIN looking for mine.
Oh boo hiss. Mine had a placard with my name on the dash inside the car.

I see that they delivered within your first EDD window. Sometimes I wonder if their attempt at keeping us informed is just a waste of their efforts and our sanity.

Congratulations :)

Last edited:
No. There are two types of stores....those that can take orders, and a small number of stores that actually take delivery of the vehicles from the car carrier. The order stores are not scheduling...only the delivery stores. In other words, it's a real snafu. Fyi, the delivery store near me is almost completely full of almost complete Teslas...which means Tesla will try to fix this quickly or else no more room to put them.
Ahhhh gotcha, yea that makes sense because if there's no room then they can't take anymore deliveries which means their plan of shipping without the charge ports and installing later will become a moot point.

Reactions: Not That M3
The lot at Glendale is absolutely full! I just drove by it and they have cars in every spot and lined along the curb. Wondering if they are ready for delivery or waiting for charging ports.
The first day of my two week window is Monday and there’s no sign of a VIN anywhere…

Giving me hope that I may still get it by my Birthday 🥳 quite frankly I can’t go on my already planned vacation without it 😂

I thought I would definitely have it by then..

Lesson learned 🫠.. Crossing my fingers for all of us in AZ 🤞🏼

I posted last week that I actually met my SA when we went for a test drive. I was stunned. So at least some people have an actual, local SA.

You know, when I read that the first time, I just assumed you meant your SA knew you by name - as in your real, legal name.

But then I thought, what are the chances they know you by your screen-name??

On another note, my delivery date (confirmed now in triplicate) happens to land on the very last day of my original EDD (from our OD).

So, that's a data point of something...

The first day of my two week window is Monday and there’s no sign of a VIN anywhere…

Giving me hope that I may still get it by my Birthday 🥳 quite frankly I can’t go on my already planned vacation without it 😂

I thought I would definitely have it by then..

Lesson learned 🫠.. Crossing my fingers for all of us in AZ 🤞🏼
Yep we need a white on white and MSM on black for the 2/15 orders from the AZ

And just like that! I'm done!!!

Seamless pickup today. Wandered the lot before my appointment checking each VIN looking for mine. Tons of cars on the lot waiting to be delivered today - and ~50% of the ones I looked at before I found mine had the old lights. Luckily for me, mine has the matrix lights. For those keeping track - my VIN range is 244xxx.

Paint and glass were perfect. Panel gaps weren't 100% but overall generally happy with the quality. For some reason the door handles on the rear doors weren't fully flush, but that was symmetrical on both sides and the same for every single car I checked today - so I decided to just leave it be. I may mention it to mobile service when I get my Homelink installed though.
what was your build date?

Reactions: Neuro450