Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always wondered about that as well! Curious to know.
I was given 1 day(Saturday) with 3-4 different times to choose from. But it didn’t matter because they then pushed it out a week the Thursday before pickup. They said vehicle is still being transported & hasn’t arrived yet. I’m suppose to be picking up this Saturday in Philly.. but who knows for sure.
I think most people get a 2-3 day window to choose from.

In an ideal world, Tesla (and other hotly demanded car companies) would partner with an Enterprise or Hertz to give discounts for people who are on the wait list (accurate EDD or not, VIN received or not).
If people paid $60,000 in advance, yes. As people are paying $250 just to be in line to purchase a vehicle, no.

I think what many people forget is that this is all an ESTIMATE. It’s a QUOTE of maybe, probably, possibly, kinda sorta, some months you can consider to start preparing yourself to have the car. They are planning months in advance while hoping that they’ll have all the parts, relying that they’ll have employees that are able to work, wondering how high transportation costs will be, and depending on somebody somewhere to ship these dang ECU chips that y’all are missing. They are probably all piled up at a USPS somewhere back in a storage room.

Attitudes like this are why customer experiences don't improve. I know we all hate the idea of being a "Karen," but when hundreds (if not thousands) of cars are being held up due to an inexcusable manufacturing anomaly, and one of the biggest companies in the world can't even be honest or transparent about what's going on let alone provide an urgent fix, customers have every reason to demand better. This is the "age of the customer" in which brands are supposed to be competing on experience and commitment to long-term customer relationships, not product alone.

You have every right to demand better when a $5 water bottle shows up a day late without warning, because every company is supposed to be meeting the "Zappos standard." This is a $60K product from a brand that is supposed to be revolutionizing the auto industry and delivering a uniquely customer-centric and transparent experience

Also, for the record, I am out money. I was told I had to secure car insurance the day I received my VIN in order to proceed. That was more than 2 weeks ago. Which means I've now paid for insurance on a car I can't drive. And at this rate, it's likely I'll pay for an entire month for no reason.

Additionally, I arranged to have my long-term car rental returned on May 15, the day after my original May 8-14 window. I've since had to buy shorter-term car rentals tied to the false expectation delivery dates, which come at a higher daily cost than if I had just secured a longer-term rental from the jump. Not to mention the additional hassle and opportunity cost of going to/from car rental facilities.

Regarding your hypothetical, yes, I would rather they not have given me a narrow estimated delivery date if the car wasn't ready. For context, one of the reasons I bought my car directly through Tesla, as opposed to leasing/renting through Go Car and saving the down payment, was that Go Car couldn't provide any guarantee that their "June delivery date" would be honored on a car make known for supply & demand issues. Yet here's Tesla, who is as close as possible to the situation, blatantly providing false delivery dates. My car will 100% not be delivered today and probably not in the next 5, so why does my app say May 19-23?

Is my #1 option to have the car? Of course. But if I can't have the car, my #2 option is that they just be honest and transparent about what is happening. We all knew the charging port issue was at play, so why was I first told that the only issue is that my car was sitting in Alabama, and as soon as a truck can bring it to Florida on May 14, I'll get to pick it up?

You're also neglecting the other scenario in your hypothetical, which is that Tesla stop producing cars until all the existing ones are fitted with this charge port. Or if that's not practical from a logistics or business standpoint, re-assign the new cars to those with existing VINS, and then reassign the charge port cars to those who would be next in line.
Lol I would love to see your reaction if they changed the EDD to TBD.

Just to add I have a very old car 22 years old 190k miles. I was trying to see if I could squeeze another year out of her because I will get a big pay increase then. However I have been paying attention to the car Market and clearly it is very hard to get a new car off the lot and the used market is very overpriced as such. So I ordered now that way in a few months I'll be all set. There was a saying I used to see at a doctors it said " lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part"

In the ‘things were going too smoothly’ category, my finance mgr called Friday and said I was ‘set’ and they just needed 2 days to have the cashiers check ready for pickup. Saturday I got a delivery date for Friday 20th. Monday I emailed: ‘please have check ready wednesday’. No response. I call, voicemail. I hope they’re not sick or something without a backup.

the wait is bad enough…..now this.
Just a follow-up, no contact this morning so I drove to the bank and talked with a very helpful person. Out 10 minutes later, DocuSign’d stuff during lunch, and money is in my account. I’ll swing by in the morning to pick up cashiers check.

Meanwhile, 3 communications from Tesla (automated phone call, and 2 texts) confirming my pickup tomorrow!! Now it’s getting real!

These are fair points. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the production team and the sales team. This is something that Tesla should resolve. Unfortunately, until we actually protest by canceling our orders and hurting Tesla's sales, they will have no incentive to do so. We live in a capitalist society. Money talks.
You hit the nail on the head. If the sales team had any clue & if they all had the same info, it wouldn't be so frustrating. But since production and sales have zero communication, it seems very unorganized. As an example, when I called, my original date was June 12-July 17, then it changed to July 3-Aug 7th. I called at one point and the SA who answered was baffled and didn't understand why it changed because I had the 19" wheels and other orders like mine are June. He said, it will definitely change back to June etc. Then I called another time and the person said the delivery will be July. The point is, they don't know so they should all have the same answer or be able to have access to the same information. Some know more than others and it doesn't make sense. But dealing with other car manufacturers is a nightmare so I like that Tesla tries to give an estimate and that is exactly what it is. I knew that before the purchase.

Quick query for those who've taken recent delivery in So. Cal. I received my VIN 256XXX on 5/7/22 (M3LR Built 5/6/22). I completed all tasks and was greeted with a scheduling text with the soonest on-site delivery (Irvine, CA) of May 30, 2022. Does it take over two week for the trailer to travel down the coast? The vehicle is sitting in a lot in No. Cal with no missing parts (equipped w/Matrix, Charging Port, Michelin's, etc). Is it fair to surmise I will get the vehicle sooner?

OD: 2/19/22 M3LR MSM/BLK 18" NO FSD

W.r.t those complaining about EDDs, etc. If I thought Tesla was purposely deceiving me I, too, would be unhappy. Could their communications be better? Yes. Could it be worse, definitely. I tried to talk to Nissan and Chevy about an EV in february. They wouldn't even guess at a possible delivery date. I wasn’t thrilled when I ordered a M3 in February and it said “May’, but at least it was a ‘good faith’ estimate, as opposed to TBD.

Just a follow-up, no contact this morning so I drove to the bank and talked with a very helpful person. Out 10 minutes later, DocuSign’d stuff during lunch, and money is in my account. I’ll swing by in the morning to pick up cashiers check.

Meanwhile, 3 communications from Tesla (automated phone call, and 2 texts) confirming my pickup tomorrow!! Now it’s getting real!

lucky you I ordered same exact build on 01/11 - picking up in cincy, vin 238 sitting and waiting on an ECU getting pushed back every day with no real timeline

Quick query for those who've taken recent delivery in So. Cal. I received my VIN 256XXX on 5/7/22 (M3LR Built 5/6/22). I completed all tasks and was greeted with a scheduling text with the soonest on-site delivery (Irvine, CA) of May 30, 2022. Does it take over two week for the trailer to travel down the coast? The vehicle is sitting in a lot in No. Cal with no missing parts (equipped w/Matrix, Charging Port, Michelin's, etc). Is it fair to surmise I will get the vehicle sooner?

OD: 2/19/22 M3LR MSM/BLK 18" NO FSD
If you're scheduled for May 30, assume you'll get it May 30. Tesla doesn't have truckers on call to move vehicles anytime they want. They have to schedule those guys, and they're busy doing a lot of other stuff right now. Partly because we don't have enough truck drivers.
You thinking there should be an pre-requisite anxiety test or Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test?
It's like a driver's test. An orderer's test. We need more tests. Testing has proven that testing works.

No. A reading comprehension test. Specifically, what the word "Estimated" means. 👍
I think it's pretty clear at this point that it doesn't matter what the word means if the way the phase is received suggests a greater confidence factor than is actually available. It's like Autopilot being misinterpreted by enough people to make it dangerous. The presentation really should be reworked so as to ensure that everyone gets the right idea from it. It's a matter of managing perceptions, and it's a valuable service that a company can provide.

Perhaps saying something like 4-6 weeks instead of specific calendar dates. Or "latter half of October". Given that many anxious people would immediately convert those to exact date, perhaps a graphic that is more challenging to work with. Some timeline showing the four quarters of the year with a colored bar in the area of estimated delivery. The darn thing might even move around while you look at it, or the edges might be faded out. There are many ways to do this, and it really is pretty important (from a customer standpoint) to get it right. Getting stuff right seems to be Tesla's mission in life, but I'm not sure if the people who came up with this system are onboard.