Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD Low VIN Concern?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the disappearance of the LR RWD today I decided to check and see if there were any LR RWD's available for quick delivery in my area as I'm still interested in this configuration.

My rep shows a LR RWD available with a VIN of 60XXX that was factory gates on 7-17-18.

Should I be concerned about taking delivery of a car that was built 3 months ago?

Pretty much no. If the car looks good, has low mileage, then there's no concern. A lot of cars got left behind due to logistical issues, and they become inventory cars that you can pickup quickly.

I purchased my car with a 57K VIN last month, while they were at 100K, I know that the VINs are not sequential. In my case, my front bumper that was suppose to be an easy alignment, turned out to be a all new paint job for the front end, so be careful when you take delivery make sure everything looks good

I would be interested in knowing your source for the rising defect rate...

Rising number of anecdotes and common sense really.

Quality and accuracy suffers at the expense speed.

This doesn't have to be true for linear production.

Exponential speed without scaling quality and accuracy exponentially as well = higher defect rate. That's a guarantee.

Not to mention the needed capex to scale something that doesn't contribute IMMEDIATELY to the bottom line.

More cars = revenue
More QA subtracts revenue for the short run.

Reactions: outdoors
We have had a reservation since the 2nd day they opened up and placed our order 9/24. We were recently assigned a VIN for our M3 long range RWD in blue. I understand the comments about not worrying what VIN number you're assigned...

With that said, ours is in the 17,xxx range which means it was assigned in March and from what i am seeing was most likely built in that time frame. What we dont want is to get a car with major re-work, or a reject.

I've also read there were some changes to the cars around that time with the suspension and rear seats among other things.

As a new Tesla M3 purchaser, would you accept this?

Thanks, David

I've just (today) been assigned a VIN of 32xxx. Considering now VINs are above 100xxx this seems low. However it is for a LR RWD so my guess is they are filling in holes in VIN number that were not assigned. Or this is a model left behind in California. Either way I am curious about the manufacturing date on the door, when I get to see the car. I am schedule to pick up the car on 10/30.

I've just (today) been assigned a VIN of 32xxx. Considering now VINs are above 100xxx this seems low. However it is for a LR RWD so my guess is they are filling in holes in VIN number that were not assigned. Or this is a model left behind in California. Either way I am curious about the manufacturing date on the door, when I get to see the car. I am schedule to pick up the car on 10/30.
When did you put down your deposit for your RWD LR? I am still waiting for a VIN on mine.

With the disappearance of the LR RWD today I decided to check and see if there were any LR RWD's available for quick delivery in my area as I'm still interested in this configuration.

My rep shows a LR RWD available with a VIN of 60XXX that was factory gates on 7-17-18.

Should I be concerned about taking delivery of a car that was built 3 months ago?
I have a VIN 72xx and it is solid. No build issues at all. I just took it to work for a group that supplies to automotive companies and he looked CLOSE for fit and finish as there have been so many reports. And he was amazed he could not find any issues.

Reactions: Stirfelt