Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Ludicrous 0-100 km/hr Poll

Time in seconds

• <2.5

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • 2.5 - 3.0

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • 3.1 - 3.5

Votes: 41 36.3%
  • 3.6 - 4.0

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • 4.0<

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Horizontal G force?

"The record for peak experimental horizontal g-force tolerance is held by acceleration pioneer John Stapp, in a series of rocket sled deceleration experiments culminating in a late 1954 test in which he was clocked in a little over a second from a land speed of Mach 0.9. He survived a peak "eyeballs-out" acceleration of 46.2 times the acceleration of gravity, and more than 25 g for 1.1 seconds, proving that the human body is capable of this."

Source: g-force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A top fuel dragster accelerates from a standstill to 100 miles per hour (160 km/h) in as little as 0.8 seconds (less than one third the time required by a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach 60 mph (97 km/h))[1] and can exceed 450 km/h (280 mph) in just 200 metres (660 ft). This subjects the driver to an average acceleration of about 39 m/s2 (4.0 g0) over the duration of the race and with a peak of over 5.6 g."

Source: Top Fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particular, a Truck platform to take on the Ford F150/250/350... market.
Due to the nature of an electric motor to deliver torque instantaneously, I would hope they skip an F-150 or F-250 analog and begin with F-350, F-450, and F-550 capable competitors. That is, start at no less than Class III, Class IV, and Class V towing capability.

With either Tesla, or 3rd parties, taking those trucks and putting all kinds of different truck beds on the vehicle (I suspect 3rd parties will do this work). The Truck platform gets them into panel vans and other light commercial vehicles.
I rather sincerely disagree with this sentiment. Tesla Motors will certainly work with third parties for some things... Like developing a good fifth wheel gooseneck type assembly, or allowing for a proper weight distribution tow hitch.... But I seriously believe they will not offer bare back chassis that someone else can customize at will. So, campers, flatbeds, dump trucks, tool trucks, and the like with interchangeable beds that bolt in place on a ladder frame will not be allowed. Instead, the truck configuration will be 'as is' for some time. Because the Tesla reputation is based upon safety and reliability, allowing such customization makes for a difficult position as it forces Tesla to trust the engineering capabilities of third parties over their own. I am certain that Tesla would prefer that each configuration be engineered and designed internally, so that crash testing and improvements to design could be performed and evaluated by their own staff.

A medium duty (my terminology - I don't know the industry term) Truck platform for delivery etc.. uses that's on the big side for a pickup truck, but still in that vicinity.
Well, that would be around F-650 and F-750 capabilities, I think. So, Class VI and Class VII towing and hauling levels. The greater range and cargo capacity and towing ability, the more impressive Tesla pickups will be.

They've already announced that work is going on around Tesla Semi - that needs to come to market and scale.
I suspect that the initial releases will be for internal use. To Deliver battery packs from Sparks NV to Fremont CA. Very much a 'proof of concept' at first. Then, allowing limited fleet sales/leasing to distribution businesses and municipalities.

You've got a variety of body styles around the Model 3 - the 4 door sedan, a 2 door, a CUV, a station wagon. Maybe a small pickup truck, but I think that's more likely to be a new platform.
As much as I'd love to see something of a Ranchero, Caballero, or El Camino configuration... Most people at least claim to despise such small trucks/utes. And almost the same level of pure vitriol is leveled at work trucks like the Dakota or Tacoma. They really don't sell very well at all, though full sized trucks are continually growing in popularity.

The point is that after Model 3, there's at least 1 more platform still to bring to market, and then there are a variety of body styles to add onto those 3 different platforms that will exist at that point, and all of that needs doing to really build volumes and push manufacturers across all of their product lines.
Exactly.

There might be another down market push that's needed, and maybe autonomy gets us to a world where the Model 3 marks the new bottom of the market (I don't have an opinion either way).

Elon Musk recently stated that it won't be necessary to go further down-market than Model ☰ after all. Most likely he believes that ride sharing of autonomous vehicles will allow those who cannot buy a new car the ability to travel without personal ownership for less money. I tend to point out two things: 1) Until Tesla Motors has sufficient capacity it is unwise to directly take on vehicles with a starting price below $25,000; and 2) By the time Tesla Motors has the needed capacity, the cars that currently occupy that price point will have migrated to higher price points.

Challenging the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, or Ford Fusion will be extremely difficult prior to Tesla Motors being able to build at least 3,000,000 units per year. The same is true of Corolla, Civic, and Focus. They will likely need to have capacity of over 5,000,000 units per year to challenge those vehicles and the full sized pickup market as well.

The average sale price for new cars is already over $33,000 in the US. Most new cars sell at around $22,000 to $24,000 though.

All of that needs answering before Tesla invests design and production resources on a low volume supercar.
Many of those points must be addressed before there is even a relatively high volume Model ☰ Coupe available. Hence, why I consider myself 'at the back of the line'. Everyone else will get what they want before I can.

For these reasons, and knowing that a Tesla Roadster Revisited isn't actually something that will happen anytime soon (I hazard a guess at a minimum of a decade), the prudent thing to do is do a Model 3 version of a BMW M3 - big battery pack, outlandish discharge rates, AWD, ridiculous 0-60 times (hence my <2.5 poll vote), upgraded suspension, and hopefully - overgunned cooling system for the battery, electronics, and motor so that the tracksters will have an EV to make Nurburgring runs in. Even if it's a smallish 4 door sedan in the beginning, instead of a proper sports car.
A two seater sports car may come a little sooner, but not by much. Maybe six-to-eight years instead of the previously hoped for 4 years or less. And instead of two cars, a Model R Supercar and Model Z Hypercar, perhaps only one of them would see the light of day prior to 2025.

And another reason - can anybody here seriously believe that Elon would bring a new car to market, that COULD be faster than something else already being built by Tesla, and NOT make it faster?
I have argued for quite some time that it will be the Model ☰ that first exceeds 300 kph in the Tesla lineup. The larger vehicles are fine at around 250 kph instead.

Do all that and the top trim Model 3 will be our stand-in for Roadster Revisited for the next 10ish years.

Oh - and I expect it'll be close to or into 6 figures.
The Model ☰ will do a great job. Especially if a Coupe is made available with Falcon Wing Doors, or as a Convertible. I figure that as long as there is a version of the Chevrolet Corvette that can be purchased new for under $100,000 Tesla will want to have a similar price point for their next two seater.

There may well have been something else I wanted to add, but it's rather late and I need to get some sleep... :(:confused::oops:

Reactions: jbcarioca
Due to the nature of an electric motor to deliver torque instantaneously, I would hope they skip an F-150 or F-250 analog and begin with F-350, F-450, and F-550 capable competitors. That is, start at no less than Class III, Class IV, and Class V towing capability.
You would need a very beefy suspension as well, which isn't going to ride as nice. I'll be surprised if they don't start at half-ton models, or even something more like an El-Camino - a Model X (or Y) with a bed.

With 0-60 times decreasing rapidly (it seems), at what point do they become a danger to the driver or anything in his or the car's path? Really, 2.5 seconds?
Never. Top fuel dragsters and superbikes have been going more quickly for ages.
True, but with the understanding that dragsters and superbikes are driven by professionals on closed courses. I'd be fairly nervous knowing that some 16 year kid on the street had that sort of acceleration available, of course we're not there yet, so power on!!

I'm not sure how many times it has to be noted in this forum that the competition of the M3 isn't the MS.

If the BMW 3 has the opportunity to go 0-60 <2.5 I guarantee that the M3 will be designed to beat it.
If the Audi A3-4 has the opportunity to go 0-60 <2.5 I guarantee that the M3 will be designed to beat it.
If the 3 is faster than the S, I will eat a sock and film myself doing so.

Of course, if I'm right, you have to do the same.

Incredible! We've burned up three pages so far speculating about the quest for "Maximum Plaid". Somehow this seems quite appropriate to me, even from an environmental perspective. The sooner the general public sees zero performance penalty from going electric they'll have only range and price as impediments. With the current rate of progress in cell capacity, battery pack efficiency, battery management systems, vehicle electrical efficiency and easy access to public charging in most of the vehicle-consuming world we're [poised for the future to arrive by 2025, and sooner in much of the world.

So, by 2025 most of the new urban vehicles will probably be electric. Busses, delivery trucks, taxis, among others. How much of consumer new vehicles will be electric? I do not have a guess about that, just hopes.

All our excitement about performance will make the future arrive sooner.

In the meantime we need a new group: "Geezers for startlingly quick acceleration and superb handling" I'm in, and I was 71 years old a few days ago. My annual physical exam had BP:120/80, and similarly positive results elsewhere. That may mean this geezer has several more even faster Tesla vehicles to come. I'm holding Elon to his promise of the new Roadster for 2020. With some luck I'll maintain my Florida 'safe driver' designation until then. We'll see, Alligator Alley may prove my undoing before then.

• Love
Reactions: Red Sage and EinSV
If the 3 is faster than the S, I will eat a sock and film myself doing so.

Of course, if I'm right, you have to do the same.
I know just teh person to make the sock. Tesla-lover Norman Love: Artistry In Fine Gourmet Chocolate | Gourmet Chocolate Truffles | Fine Handmade Dark, Milk & White Chocolates - Norman Love Confections

A few months ago there was a Tesla gathering there, with lots of Model S and a couple Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche types.
I know he'll be happy to make you your sock, so you can enjoy eating it for you certainly will.

I know just teh person to make the sock. Tesla-lover Norman Love: Artistry In Fine Gourmet Chocolate | Gourmet Chocolate Truffles | Fine Handmade Dark, Milk & White Chocolates - Norman Love Confections

A few months ago there was a Tesla gathering there, with lots of Model S and a couple Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche types.
I know he'll be happy to make you your sock, so you can enjoy eating it for you certainly will.
If anybody is willing to take me up on that bet, he can get started on the sock now! Fitting for it to be a Tesla sock.

Incredible! We've burned up three pages so far speculating about the quest for "Maximum Plaid". Somehow this seems quite appropriate to me, even from an environmental perspective. The sooner the general public sees zero performance penalty from going electric they'll have only range and price as impediments. With the current rate of progress in cell capacity, battery pack efficiency, battery management systems, vehicle electrical efficiency and easy access to public charging in most of the vehicle-consuming world we're [poised for the future to arrive by 2025, and sooner in much of the world.

So, by 2025 most of the new urban vehicles will probably be electric. Busses, delivery trucks, taxis, among others. How much of consumer new vehicles will be electric? I do not have a guess about that, just hopes.

All our excitement about performance will make the future arrive sooner.

In the meantime we need a new group: "Geezers for startlingly quick acceleration and superb handling" I'm in, and I was 71 years old a few days ago. My annual physical exam had BP:120/80, and similarly positive results elsewhere. That may mean this geezer has several more even faster Tesla vehicles to come. I'm holding Elon to his promise of the new Roadster for 2020. With some luck I'll maintain my Florida 'safe driver' designation until then. We'll see, Alligator Alley may prove my undoing before then.

Burned up 3 pages? I disagree - what else are we going to do for 18 months?

This is entertainment.

Reactions: Bennny and Red Sage
True, but with the understanding that dragsters and superbikes are driven by professionals on closed courses. I'd be fairly nervous knowing that some 16 year kid on the street had that sort of acceleration available, of course we're not there yet, so power on!!
That's the question that's been rattling around in my head for a while. Unleashing a sub 4 affordable vehicle onto the road where any teenager with a fresh license can challenge ICE supercars on city streets is needless to say, concerning. Concerning enough to do something about it? That I am not convinced of yet. A teenager with a Honda Civic can be just as careless and a danger on the road as one with a Plaid Model 3. This scenario falls under responsible parents who need to properly teach their kid how to drive and the responsibilities involved (and not enable them by buying them a pimped out car/rocket).

As far as irresponsible/untrained adult drivers doing the same? I'm not ready to turn my freedoms over to the Nanny State quite yet, so that still falls under education and law enforcement to keep them in check.

Reactions: Red Sage
Concerning enough to do something about it? That I am not convinced of yet. A teenager with a Honda Civic can be just as careless and a danger on the road as one with a Plaid Model 3. This scenario falls under responsible parents who need to properly teach their kid how to drive and the responsibilities involved (and not enable them by buying them a pimped out car/rocket).
I agree, and also if someone is going to lose control of a car that does 0 - 60 in under 3 or 4 seconds, there is every chance that they'd also lose control of one doing it in 5 or 6 seconds. To certain extent this aids in natural selection ... until they start killing bystanders and other drivers.

You would need a very beefy suspension as well, which isn't going to ride as nice. I'll be surprised if they don't start at half-ton models, or even something more like an El-Camino - a Model X (or Y) with a bed.
Expect to be surprised then. Elon Musk has said since early 2013 that he would want to go after full-sized pickup trucks because that is the largest market in the US. He specifically commented on the ride quality when there is an empty bed in a pickup, pointing out he believes it can be done better. I'm certain that a Tesla pickup would not use a solid axle, ladder frame, leaf springs, or have a detached bed. Those ~*ahem*~ 'advances' in transportation and cartage technology have been around since horse drawn carriages were all the rage.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Superbikes have been available to teenagers for decades.

Honda CBR series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for confirming my thesis. Does Cedar Point have a "geezer limit" or anything else we should consider it making our recommendations to Tesla on the recommended M3 performance levels?
I had not thought about amusement parks as a reference. I should have since driving a P85DL, as I do, is already much like an amusement park ride.:eek:

And now imagine a roller-coaster like that where the cars are not actually attached to a rail...

• Funny
Reactions: jbcarioca