Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 miles per kWh after 4 weeks of driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: Originally posted in the Model S forum

After 4 weeks of moderate driving, I look up the Trips Screen and got this (1-st photo)
Importing the numbers in EXCEL to calculate Miles/kWh and Miles/fullCharge (given M3 battery capacity at 57kWh)
I got some number in 2-nd photo.
The 38 miles were driven in city with TACC and Auto-Steer
This alone say I can get 5.43 miles/kWh OR 309 Miles on full charge for city driving, more than the expected 272 Miles max Range.
This is due to automatic genBreaking by auto Pilot which recharges some of the lost energy.
The second number 343 miles is my total driving (including freeway which has very few breaks) since I got the car.
This translates to 5.12 miles/kWh OR 291.8 miles range.
Mostly, I am the only one in the car, few times my wife rides with me and I drove mostly on flat streets. My home is about 2 miles uphill with with minor slope.

In general, I found that TACC and auto Steer are a blessing as it does most of the car control itself.
There are some occasions that I have to take over control (by slight press the break pedal to disable auto Pilot then press the accelerator to keep moving at desired speed) 1) when turning left OR right, need to slow down, once done, I release the accelerator and the car resumes its normal speed.
2) when getting close to a traffic light with GREEN light, the car slows down a bit, I press the accelerator to tell it keep moving at speed
3) when the traffic is heavy with cars changing lanes around me, auto Pilot turns OFF by itself with a RED message shown on screen.

It's quite easy to tell that auto Pilot is OFF when the car slows down when I release the accelerator lightly, do not need to look at the screen.

I believe for long trip on freeway, The max range would be 272 miles at best, I will only expect 240 or 250 max.

Attachments

• M3TripsReport.jpg
    M3TripsReport.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 121
  • MilesPerKWh.JPG
    MilesPerKWh.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bouba
City driving often gives efficiency better than the rated efficiency (and hence range better than the rated range), as long as you are not putting the accelerator or brake pedal on the floor a lot.

Highway driving efficiency and range depends a lot on how fast you drive. At 65mph, you may get around the rated efficiency and range. But many people on these forums drive a lot faster than that and then complain about getting less range than the rated range.

Heavy use of the climate control will also worsen efficiency and range. Being stuck in a traffic jam on a very hot or cold day with the AC or heat running can consume a lot of energy for climate control while going nowhere.

I really do not understand eGPA rating of EV cars. The "miles or km per kWh" rating is more relevant and measurable by the car) then the eGPA.
For example, the M3SR is rated for 272 miles per full charge (57.5 KWh), this translates into 4.73 miles/kWh in ideal conditions.
On hybrid cars, I have seen miles/gallon on the screen, this does make sense for these cars as they still run gasoline most of the time.

For example, the M3SR is rated for 272 miles per full charge (57.5 KWh), this translates into 4.73 miles/kWh in ideal conditions.
The EPA rating also includes charging losses, since 60kWh from the wall does not all end up in the battery (the 272 rated mile Model 3 has about a 60kWh battery).

MPGe is miles per kWh times the energy contain in a gallon of gasoline translated to kWh.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life