Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mud guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone have official installation instructions for oem mudflaps?

i swear to spaghetti monster i saw it either on the tesla.com support article, or in the manual, that there were instructions on installation a compact flaps and the taller flaps.

my car had compact flaps installed on the front. and apparently a set of flaps for the rear in the trunk. i want to put those on the car as well ahead of a long road trip
Yes photo of the Tesla DIY instructions in this article ...
Tesla All-Weather Kit Strategy Now Hits Scandinavia And Finland

Reactions: holmgang
I’ve looked on the USA site and these aren’t orderable for the moment here. Had my tires rotated at local service center last week and wish I had known then to ask if they would advance order for me,

So of the 3 plus aftermarket ones discussed in this thread , any clear goto choice ? The Tesla NY Owners club for front and another vendor for rear seems best option If Tesla USA doesn’t stock something soon.

We have lots of road salting and debris from pothole deterioration on my weekly drive from NW Philly suburbs to Newark airport . I’ve got a few dings on my 1 year old M3 LR AWD in 12,000 miles on it so far .

20191220_084448.jpg

Reactions: akidesir
What's the verdict on the mud flaps provided by Tesla, vs something like Rally Armour? I saw there were others who mentioned these, available in Canada that look fairly similar to the Rally Armour mudflaps: 4 Garde-Boues Tesla Model 3 (North Edition)

Bjorn did a video, Tesla used to have long mudflaps and short mudflaps. Apparently the long ones arent available anymore as they apparently didnt work any better. The chinese ones apparently look better than Teslas and do a better job but the Tesla ones fit a bit better.

The Tesla flaps are weird.
I guess I had the long ones.
The installation is not that easy. I can't recall what the guy who installed them told me (it was at the same time I got the car wrapped back in january), but there was an issue with the screws.
Tesla offered only front flap not at the back (maybe because its just plastic back there).

As for the look and functionnality :
- Look : it feels there is a piece missing from the flap, but at their top. They doesn't cover much of the top. But they go far to the bottom, pretty close to the ground. They are flexible enough that when you go over a bumper or take strong turns, it touches the grounds but not break.
- Functionnality : mixed feeling. they do gather a lot of snow (quebec's winter) but don't hamper driving.

I got stuck in the snow twice but not because of the flaps. The underskirt is so flat that when you deviated from tracks the car is leveled and even snow mode doesn't cut it. A pickup truck had to track me out of snow once. The other time it was only D/R switches with someone's help that got me out of trouble.

All i all it may seems correct, but I am still worried about the iron structure beeing attack by salt and sandblasted even with the flaps.

Just thought I'd pop back in to give a review after a year and a little bit. The Chinese molded mudflaps did what they were designed to do, but after a year the bottom part of my passenger front mudflap snapped off presumably after hitting road debris. My original Chinese flaps were a softer flexible rubber kind of material. The newer ones I got as a replacement appear to be ABS plastic. I was able to just replace one, as the others look identical.

The good news however is that my rocker panels still look good as new after plenty of dirt road driving. I didn't expect this to be the case, but good coverage front flaps really do reduce the amount of rock chips in front of rear wheel. There was no discernible paint damage under the flap when removed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up and rlb4
I will tell you if you get the molded splash guards make sure you install some 3m tape on the inside of the guards. They tend to move around and will damage your paint. I speak from experience. Lesson learned. There is not a single kit out there that tells you this with these no matter who sells them. I also had ppf done under the splash guard for added protection this time around.

Attachments

• 342F18D7-47B1-4CCD-A315-51B659E4930C.jpeg
    342F18D7-47B1-4CCD-A315-51B659E4930C.jpeg
    390.6 KB · Views: 154
  • A2418743-6F38-4F82-B3C9-8FC97630D8C9.jpeg
    A2418743-6F38-4F82-B3C9-8FC97630D8C9.jpeg
    766 KB · Views: 162
  • B4946045-5C69-43F4-A4AA-B3E1CDDDD40F.jpeg
    B4946045-5C69-43F4-A4AA-B3E1CDDDD40F.jpeg
    749 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
I applied PPF before installing mine. Here's a pic of my rears, showing the PPF line which extends just about 1/4" beyond the edge of the mudflap. For the front, I already had PPF installed on the fender and rocker panels, so no need to add any more.

I definitely agree PPF should be added before installing mudflaps.

--Cintoman
SAM_7849.JPG

Prev damage from on my last m3. Didn’t know to secure them tightly to the body. If you have these on your car, remove them immediately and install some tape along the edge before this happens to you. View attachment 611726View attachment 611727

This will just delay the issue though. With no secure attachment, the movement will eventually eat through the PPF as well. You'll need to inspect those every year, which is a pain, since these things aren't designed to be removed frequently. When I was disposing of mine, every clip broke due to becoming brittle after a few months on the car.

This will just delay the issue though. With no secure attachment, the movement will eventually eat through the PPF as well. You'll need to inspect those every year, which is a pain, since these things aren't designed to be removed frequently. When I was disposing of mine, every clip broke due to becoming brittle after a few months on the car.
Agreed even with ppf on my new car I secured with double sided 3m tape to the body.

I’ve had my flaps on for over a year now..no issues eating into the ppf I applied under the flaps. I didn’t add any double sided to the body...BUT I did sand/file down the edges that felt a bit sharp and were rubbing into the ppf/paint.